• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Attack on Titan (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:46 am Reply with quote
I'll continue watching this one.
The best moment for me was when the spoiler[bullies ran away as soon as they saw] Mikasa. Girl powerrrrr!
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I normally don't go for the gory action shows anymore, but all the hype during the runup to this one eventually got me to start looking forward to it. Thankfully, it did not disappoint. I wasn't expecting the first episode to be cleverly written and unpredictable anyway, so most issues some people had with that aspect didn't bother me much. I could have lived without the heavy-handedness of later scenes, but unfortunately that just comes with the territory. Definitely looking forward to continuing with this one all the way, and even moreso now that I know it's going to be two cours.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Ahh-falling asleep after typing in a forum always makes feel embarrassed the next day. >_>

@ Mad_Scientist

You're right about the Retcon Group's mission. The part when the guy spoiler[(after handing the arm back to a woman)] yelled out how theyspoiler[ haven't learned anything new or useful about the Titans]. I would expect that these...things are either some spoiler[mutation of some early historic humans (like Neanderthal on mega steroids)] or, humorously, an alien life form that landed on Earth centuries ago just to prey on humans (but, if they are omnivores like us, do they eat trees?) Or, perhaps, they are the spoiler[new humans who must now eradicate the smaller ones in order to populate the Earth!!] ....I now just gave myself nightmares about *gulp* spoiler[Titan reproduction]. *A*)

If the expedition indeed fact triggered spoiler[the lighting], then yes. I have no problem taking back the plot convenience; it would be the result of an earlier action that they might have never expected to spoiler[reign such doom upon their people]. But, if the Recon Group had nothing to do with it, then, for now, the absolutely sudden and unexplained appearance spoiler[of a 50+ meter Titan via lighting] feels pretty out of place. I'll humbly admit this is just a nitpick (heck, if it had happened a month later, I would have thought to myself "Hmm...maybe the Recon have left out an important detail?") because, honestly, this was a fairly engrossing 1st episode.

The only overreaction I had issues with was when Mikasa, Eren's...adoptive sister(?), told the parents about him considering joining the Recon and, maybe, when Eren told off the elder soldier after gathering firewood. The scene with them spoiler[trying to save their Mom] was more understandable though.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I've got so much hype for this show Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I loved that first episode. Definitely hooked. This is a quibble on my part, but I can't help thinking that the best strategy to use agains Titans, if they actually exist, is to figure out efficient ways to chop them off at the ankles. Flying through the air on wires looks cool, but I don't see it being much use, practically. A Titan with his feet cut off is a lot easier to deal with, one would think.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Or they could maybe use those projectile launchers to fire weaponry, rather than wires. Still, this isn't the kind of show that's going to pick reasonable over its image of cool.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Wow, I loved that first episode. Definitely hooked. This is a quibble on my part, but I can't help thinking that the best strategy to use agains Titans, if they actually exist, is to figure out efficient ways to chop them off at the ankles. Flying through the air on wires looks cool, but I don't see it being much use, practically. A Titan with his feet cut off is a lot easier to deal with, one would think.

There's a reason they have to use those wires. You'll find out soon enough.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:25 pm Reply with quote
opn wrote:
*Sigh* will people stop trusting the encyclopedia about episode counts? It is almost ALWAYS its wrong. Sure shingeki is probably 1 cour but it hasn't been confirmed as 12 episodes and it'll probably be 13 episodes. Anyway fantastic first episode. Best show this season so far.

No. The encyclopedia is right 99% of the time about episode counts. You and many others just don't understand how to read.

Here's Fairy Tail:

Number of episodes: 175
Episode titles: We have 175

This means there are 175 episodes and we have 175 episode titles/air dates for it.

Now let's look at Flowers of Evil:

Episode titles: We have 13

Wait a minute...there isn't a "Number of episodes" listed. Perhaps it's because we don't know yet and therefore haven't listed one. That does not mean there are 13 episodes. It means we know of 13 episodes.

Looking at this anime, one of you pros decided to assume based on "at least two cours" that this anime was exactly 24 episodes. Which is speculation and needs to be removed. That is inaccuracy, not only listing what we know of thus far.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Wow, it has been a very long time since the first episode of a series I know nothing about hooked me so well. The Titan's sh1t eating grin....it's so terrifying, but you can't look away! Actually, that's pretty much a feeling I had for most of episode one.

And I can't get enough of that OP song, very well done! I will be following this series religiously.
Riddley

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Despite the shonen archetypes, the first episode has hooked me enough to keep watching.

But I have to say...I'm really, REALLY tired of the archetypal shonen characters. To the point where I'm thinking of swearing off these anime for a few years.

So it's going to take some seriously awesomeness for this anime to keep me hooked. I have some faith though considering the popularity of the manga.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Anybody have any guesses as to how they built the 50-meter walls to begin with (I assume the outer one was first)? It seems like all the activity involved would be like ringing the dinner bell for the Titans.

The only thing I can think of is if the walls were built when the giants weren't so giant. Like building the Great Wall, if your enemies are more evenly matched. Then, as the giants started getting bigger, the walls could get higher to keep pace. If so, the latest growth spurt seems to have come as a surprise...
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Despite the shonen archetypes

*sigh* I wish people would understand that EVERYTHING can be boiled down to have some type of framework which it is built around. Focus on each show individually and what it does well and doesnt do well. Just a general statement/piece of advice. I feel it will help you enjoy things reasonably.

Overall, I felt the episode was fairly intense. It isn't, at least it doesn't seem so, that it will be a show of people just acting like they are awesome. I loved when the guard was going to pay back his debt, but when he saw what he was up against, he froze. I dont blame him at all. That would be absolutely terrifying.

Unless the humans have some seriously weaponry or good fighters, I don't see them having much hope at this point. Honestly, these are bare handed titans. Imagine if they made make shift weapons/tools.

Also, the giant 50 meter high titan must have a hell of a life. Exposed muscle and tissue. There can only be one way to kill him. GIANT SALT SHAKERS!
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:47 am Reply with quote
I watched the first episode of this. It's a really original premise and I love the creepy, unsettling vibe a lot of the episode has but it's really over the top. I couldn't take the scene where the Legionnaire guy starts wailing about their failure seriously at all.

I'm also not liking Eren much at this point. He's pretty much just the usual hot-headed rebel who wants to break go out and fight that dystopian settings like these are required to have. He just spends the entire episode yelling and glaring at people and it got tiring very quickly.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Nocturne123 wrote:
Quote:
Despite the shonen archetypes

*sigh* I wish people would understand that EVERYTHING can be boiled down to have some type of framework which it is built around. Focus on each show individually and what it does well and doesnt do well. Just a general statement/piece of advice. I feel it will help you enjoy things reasonably.

Overall, I felt the episode was fairly intense. It isn't, at least it doesn't seem so, that it will be a show of people just acting like they are awesome. I loved when the guard was going to pay back his debt, but when he saw what he was up against, he froze. I don't blame him at all. That would be absolutely terrifying.

Unless the humans have some seriously weaponry or good fighters, I don't see them having much hope at this point. Honestly, these are bare handed titans. Imagine if they made make shift weapons/tools.

Also, the giant 50 meter high titan must have a hell of a life. Exposed muscle and tissue. There can only be one way to kill him. GIANT SALT SHAKERS!

I don't read the manga.

those titans are probably not very smart. They probably have an IQ of 50 or something. With our technology today, we would destroy them all in few months. At this point they may not have hope. Human are smarter, once they find their weakness, those titans will go down. I don't know the human/titian ratio. if the ratio is like 10000 to 1. It maybe worth it to trade 100 human to take down one giant.

It's just first episode, alot of things can't be explain in just one episode.

We don't know why the 50 meters high titan randomly appear. We don't know where those titans came from in the first place. Why the 50 meters titan doesn't eat the smaller titans?
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:30 am Reply with quote
Clarste wrote:
Essentially, not a single thing that happened in the episode was part of an "ordinary day". None of them on their own are particularly unusual, but they're also not things that can happen every single day, since most of them are irreversible or unique. The net effect of all this is that the town and its characters have no history whatsoever. Anything that could possibly be relevant happens on this one day, and all the characters talk as if they need to exposit as much as possible to the audience in as short a period as possible. It's completely unnatural from beginning to end. If the story is a puppet, the strings aren't even hidden. Everything happened simply because it was convenient for the author.

I have to agree with you, although it may bother me a little less than it does you. There was nothing subtle whatsoever going on here in the storytelling.

Just like the (truly disturbing) titans themselves, the series was telling us it's meaning business, with a lot of epic choirs, screaming, destruction, and dying everywhere. While there certainly seems to be some room for more subtlety storytelling wise, I enjoyed the rest a lot. I love the look of this, the thick lines, the shadows, the world feels kind of real and dirty, and the setting has a lot of potential for interesting sociological developments. What will they do, now that spoiler[their village was destroyed], what will happen to their society, are there other human communities out there or are they the last? There can be some fascinating developments here.

I hope the protagonist will grow on me some more, though, as I found him to be a tiny bit too annoying. He's also quite young, a bit too young for me to fight in this kind of setting that put a lot of effort (and violence) in convincing us how serious it takes itself. Even in the company of giant skinless monsters that seem to be spoiler[falling out of the sky] he'd feel out of place to me when he starts fighting, I'm afraid. But let's see, I'll definitely keep on watching.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 107