• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:54 pm Reply with quote
(I can no longer post during work, so this had to wait.)

Quote:
The main issue separating us here seems to be that you require the presence of very specific, formulaic elements to call something a proper harem series, and I don't.

I DO require such things for a show to be described: "this is still pretty standard harem content, down even to Kenshi being a romantic milquetoast." In fact that entire paragraph sets out to describe the formulaic aspects of a harem, so I don't see how me explaining that it doesn't follow a "standard" formulaic harem discounts my arguments that it isn't one. Your description really makes it sound like any other harem while I'd like to think people who have problems with harems may actually be pleasantly surprised that it doesn't really play out like one.

Quote:
(And for the record, a male lead only actually being romantically interested in one girl, and treating the rest as just friends or like sisters, is pretty common in harem series.)

Is it common for the male lead to be so completely dismissive of the girl's interest in him? The best example of what you describe is Ai Yori Aoshi but even in that show Kaoru is not dismissive of the other girls- he gets tempted, he gets all flustered and bothered by these girls showing up naked and throwing themselves at him. But Kenshi? It brings me back to your description of Kenshi as a "romantic milquetoast". As I've already said, that isn't really true. A harem milquetoast is a male lead who can't, or has trouble, making a decision about which girl he really loves, that is not what Kenshi is. Other than being mildly attracted to a minor character who barely talks and the show spends no time getting to know Kenshi is completely dismissive of everyone's romantic intentions. He really wants no part of it.

This isn't a "standard" harem. The lead doesn't act like a standard lead and the girls in the main cast mostly don't act like typical girls in a harem.

Quote:

What was "being defensive" about indicating that I thought that your comments reflected too many issues with the series to justify only dropping it to an A- grade?

I meant that I was more concerned with defensively refuting yours and others complaints than presenting a real review that focused exclusively on what I found were the strengths. And of course, when you dismiss my arguments as ones you don't agree with... you're not going to be convinced they deserve much credence.

The things I did complain about?
The Structure? It's not the best, but they way they do it serves the purposes they were going for.
The unfinished aspect? Well, that is something you basically have to become accustomed to as a Kajishima fan and hope they do continue the anime or the novels get treanslations, official or fan-translated.
And finally, saying that it isn't a good example of a harem show does not mean that I think it's a bad show, in fact its ignoring of the harem "rules" give it, IMO, a refreshing twist.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:03 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
Its definitely a good series.

and at least they didn't make kenshi like his brother or worse. like Seina.

Though i was susprised that they never did a old cast flashback where characters from the two previous series make a one time appearance , like what they did in ep 17 of GXP. there definitely a lot of people that would like to know Seina's status after spoiler[ marrying 8 women , and the other 4 we don't know their backgrounds at all other than being with the devil princess]

Oh, so he DID spoiler[marry those four girls. I wasn't sure. But now I hear he married those other 4 too!?] Man, I'm glad I stopped watching. I couldn't handle after episode 1. I just wanted to see the last episode and I couldn't stop gagging the whole time.

Is this series any better than GXP? Maybe I shouldn't even ask since I doubt I'll even give this one a chance. I was too disappointed with GXP. I'll just stick with the original Tenchi.

[EDIT: Added spoiler tags and corrected a broken tag. - Key]

Actually i wasnt disappointed with GXP. I liked it. especially its ending that was way over the top.

the only thing i didn't like was its casting decisions . it would have been better off if Funi had used its own VA for the series. The only dissapointing tenchi series in my view was tenchi in tokyo. that was so bad on so many levels that it wasnt funny at all. at least tenchi universe was more entertaining than that. the only thing good about TIT was the look of his new sword and the new female characters.

At least GXP learned that lesson and made that series more enjoyable. sure some fell flat but others were kinda good.

and at least war on genimar is superior than GXP and ten times better than TIT cause in my view that series is the bigger disgrace to the franchise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I have a small confession to make. I had not actually very recently watched the show when I made my previous comments here. It wasn't too long ago, I watched it last when Funimation started streaming it early this year or late last year and I have watched it two or three times previously as well, so I felt I could still stand by my reviews here.

Now I have watched it again and mostly have no problems standing my ground. I did notice more animation shortcuts, especially during the second half, but I still think it does a wonderful job of keeping things at a consistently polished level without dropping down to embarrassing levels.

And my feeling of it being an atypical "bad" example of a harem hold. You can put the "harem" tag in the genre search and you'd be hard pressed to find such a disinterested lead and main cast girls who spend so little time vying for his attention. They're not even really being tsundere's in their behavior. There's plenty of scolding going on, but it's almost always for well warranted reasons.

But I didn't actually come back here to further defend myself.

When I've watched the show before I've tended to get swept away with the fun and have missed some of the exposition, which you have to admit has never been very clearly spelled out.

But this time I paid special attention to it, trying especially to figure out how Kenshi is related to Geminar.
And I've finally figured out who the other speaker in in the beginning and ending dialogue is, and it wasn't who I thought. And it's the key speaker making the deciduous to send him, not the speaker who is unsure if it should be done.
They do explain it, in concept, but don't give a name to the key figure involved- except in a very tricky way at the end.
The explanation was that, spoiler[while fighting the original Gaia, they realized that the offspring between an artificial being and someone from another world would have mechamaster abilities greater than either parent but they were only able to send people to another world, not summon, and the hope would be that they could later summon the offspring from offworld.]
spoiler[Kenshi is the offspring and the artificial being], and the key speaker of some of the first lines is spoiler[Kenshi's mother, Rea. Who found herself a human with Jurian blood to marry.]
I guess to be tricky and confusing, while offering a clue, the name they give to Nezai spoiler[while she infiltrates the Swan as a church member is "Rea Second"- and Ulte and Nezai do seem to realize the back story better than anyone. One of the final lines of the show comes from Nezai who says something like "You can blame this all on Rea" but says it in such a way that you think she's jokingly talking about her alias (ie "don't blame me, blame my alias-Rea")]

The explanation of the tremendous time difference isn't explained though-- although you may be able to say that the time in each world/dimension runs at a different pace.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Well its true that the technical part gets confusing, though luckily the series concentrates more on what this series is all about. the harem fanservice.

we should be at least glad funi even licensed this series otherwise i could easily see it becoming an english sub only release by the usual suspects.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:32 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Well its true that the technical part gets confusing, though luckily the series concentrates more on what this series is all about. the harem fanservice.

we should be at least glad funi even licensed this series otherwise i could easily see it becoming an english sub only release by the usual suspects.

Agreed, which was definitely a good thing since I thought the dub was really nice and made this decent show more fun for me now that I've finally gotten around to watching this. In addition to the ones that already got named in the review which I totally agreed with, I really liked, apparently relative newcomer, Morgan Garrett's Chiaia.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:43 am Reply with quote
well yea. though i am susprised they never included another sasami clone of sorts since we all knew Neju was that for GXP.

its kinda weird that they never tried to get some of the old cast for the old Ryo Oki series for this new series since Funi was able to do just that for the new ryo-oki OVA eps.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3