• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Adds Nekomonogatari (Black), Monogatari Series 2nd Season Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traveling

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:21 am Reply with quote
I have to agree with dtm42. The pricing complaints are just trolling at this point. There wasn't even a price nor release date mentioned in the article. At that, no one is stopping you from streaming it on Crunchyroll. At least there is a relatively cheap way to watch the shows and still never own them.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:22 am Reply with quote
@roseversailles:

You are talking about Kizumonogatari, chronologically the first in the series. It is being adapted into a movie, the same one you heard about. SHAFT are working on it as we speak but SHAFT being SHAFT, they are taking their sweet time.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:52 am Reply with quote
As pointed out, the AoA pricing thing is a dead horse, already, so just live with it. Please report any attempts at the mere mention or attempted derailing of the thread in relation to AoA pricing, and I will try to t get rid of it before it taints the rest of the thread. Thanks.
roseversailles

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:53 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
@roseversailles:

You are talking about Kizumonogatari, chronologically the first in the series. It is being adapted into a movie, the same one you heard about. SHAFT are working on it as we speak but SHAFT being SHAFT, they are taking their sweet time.

Thank you! All the pieces are clicking together now Smile Hopefully the fact that SHAFT are taking their time means we'll get a good final product~ Very interested in seeing how that turns out. I still need to finish Nisemonogatari before the new series air; can't wait to hear the new boxsets be announced.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:09 am Reply with quote
^
You are very welcome.

Kizumonogatari not only covers the all-important events of Golden Week, but the Light Novel is also supposed to be the best-written part of the franchise. If SHAFT do the novel justice - and we all hope it will - then the Kizumonogatari movie should be freaking awesome. I am usually quite cautious about raising my expectations too much but I can't help but get amped for the movie.
iCards

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:41 am Reply with quote
traveling wrote:
I have to agree with dtm42. The pricing complaints are just trolling at this point. There wasn't even a price nor release date mentioned in the article. At that, no one is stopping you from streaming it on Crunchyroll. At least there is a relatively cheap way to watch the shows and still never own them.

If it is trolling then:

I'm normally pretty understanding. Aniplex was new so I bought their regular edition Madoka Blu-Rays no questions asked since that was the first Dub Aniplex produced and released themselves, and I liked the one Modoka episode I had seen before.

However, to those who have just resigned themselves to this model I have to ask: Did you spend $800 needed for Fate/Zero?; Did you spend the $300 on Oreimo?; Are you going to spend the $550 on the Gurren Lagann Blu-rays?

If the SAO blu-ray was $40-$45 for a regular release of the 7 episodes we are getting per release then it would be a sure fire buy for me, but as I told some other posts, I bought the ENTIRE series of Guilty Crown L.E., for the SAME price of 1 SAO volume, plus 36 more episodes of anime for only $20 more than the price of 2 SAO volumes.

I have all of SAO per-ordered right now, but I am in the mind set that it can be cancelled at anytime, instead of safely guaranteed.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:07 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
My point was that people go crazy over the price but forget that they likely have a year to save up before the show goes on sale in America. If you really must legally own the show no matter what, you will find $10 a week to save. And if you can't find $10 for a release you consider a must-buy, then I have to wonder why you are even in this expensive hobby in the first place.
I get the idea that it's not hard to find $10 a week to save up for something, but doing that for one release for four months still seems pretty overboard. You do something like that when you are saving up for a car or a new TV, not 12 episodes of a TV series.

I am actually below the poverty line (I work a minimum wage job) but I can still afford about five $30-$40 releases a month. Don't tell me I'm in the wrong hobby if I won't spend $300 on one series when I can still buy 10 anime releases at the same price. I could sacrifice all that for one Aniplex release, but chances are I want one of those $30 releases just as much as Aniplex's release.

Again, I'm not bitter against Aniplex's pricing. In a way, it saves me money from buying another anime where I probably won't lose sleep if I don't own it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:21 am Reply with quote
^
Of course many people save a little each week for their hobbies. It's called being financially responsible. Most people on low incomes get paid weekly, therefore it's important to have a weekly budget.

And I was talking about saving for shows that you must own. It is obvious from what you have said that you don't need to own Monogatari. Therefore, what I said is still valid. If you (and I'm speaking generally here) can't find $10 per week to own something that you absolutely have to have, then Anime is not the hobby for you. And if you don't want to save $10 per week to own an AoA release then you are obviously not the sort of consumer AoA is catering to.

Anyway, as Tony K. said the actual pricing discussion is over. I'm sure people will whine all they want once the prices are announced late this year or early next year.

Last edited by dtm42 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Alunimus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:22 am Reply with quote
For me it is not the price that brings sadness but AoA's restrictions. Their box-sets can be shipped only within USA and Canada, unlike other products from other publishers that can be sent anywhere (except for Japan sometimes). I really like Monogatari series and I would like to give my money but they aren't letting me!
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:24 am Reply with quote
^
Really? I found that RightStuf were perfectly happy to ship to me and I'm in New Zealand.

Edit: Ah, you meant like Bakemonogatari and whatnot. Yeah, I agree.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:12 am Reply with quote
This is where you make friends in the U.S. Wink
I've got friends who can ship me the stuff or bring them to me when they visit Japan, and there's also family but they're lazy to go to the PO so I usually end up asking friends. ^^;
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:09 am Reply with quote
So about the streaming announcement… anyone think this will be exclusive to the "Aniplex Channel" site? I think all they said is "we will be streaming…"

Since Aniplex Channel doesn't work on mobile devices (smartphones, tablets) or set-tops like Roku, that would be a pretty big step backwards in availablility versus streaming it on Crunchyroll, which seems to be everywhere now.
hpulley

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:35 am Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
... I'm still not sure how they will manage to shove an entire season of the novels into one 26 episode series when Bakemonogatari was one single novel and lasted 13 episodes. Hopefully it won't be a mess or leave too much out.

I was worried for a moment but then I pulled out my 14 Kodansha Box editions of all the Monogatari novels so far and saw that the two Bakemonogatari novels are much wider compared to the 6 they are doing for Second season:
Nekomonogatari Shiro 308p
Kabukimonogatari 356p
Hanamonogatari 292p
Otorimonogatari 292p
Onimonogatari 292p
Koimonogatari 292p

Bakemonogatari was 456p + 408p in 15 episodes (57p/ep)
Nisemonogatari was 332p + 336p in 11 episodes (61p/ep)
Nekomonogatari Kuro 324p in 4 episodes (81p/episode)
Average: 62 pages / episode over 30 episodes.

The 6 novels for second season are 1832 pages. 26 episodes will be about 70 pages/episode which is a little faster than Nise and Bake, yes but not terribly so. It is slower than Kuro.

For reference Kizu is 372 pages which might be a bit rushed unless it is a longer movie for anime.

By comparison, Yahari/Oregaru/SNAFU is 130-150pages/episode while some episodes of Red Data Girl are 200-500 pages!

Last edited by hpulley on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:38 am Reply with quote
hpulley - thanks for that breakdown. Very useful!
HosannaExcelsis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:16 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Fudge this. I mean I knew it would happen, but Christ at the Cheapest getting them off of righstuf, you have to drop 270 on Bake and Niseo. Then you have Neko black, white, Kizu, and the rest of season 2 and the planned season 3. Unless they release some combined set at some time, this set could end up costing several thousand.

Why did the two best comedies, pretty much ever fall to the two worst possible companies, Zetsubo to Media Blaster who shelved it, and Aniplex who are going out of their way to ensure as few people as possible will watch some of the best shows there are.

Aniplex of America streams their shows for free on sites such as Hulu. That's ensuring that as many people as possible are able to watch them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4