• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times on TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carl Horn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Dark Chi wrote:
I just read the Sunday NYT's article and found it confusing. Was the article about Cartoon Network or anime on American TV in general? It seemed to me that the writer failed on the latter since he doesn't mention anime on other nets such as G4, The Anime Network (VOD), Anime Selects (VOD), Starz and Showtime Extreme.
I'm sorry, but mentioning FLCL and Paranoia Agent is like saying that the Longhorns had just won the Rose Bowl -- last week.

But whereas tens of millions of people follow college football, only a few hundred thousand are watching Adult Swim. So FLCL and PARANOIA AGENT will be new to most NYT readers, and both are quite different but excellent introductions to anime beyond Miyazaki. Furthermore, it's not like anime gives us something like these two works every week. I'm not saying all anime has to be groundbreaking—that's not a fair burden to put on it, as no one demands that of TV and movies in general—but FLCL and PARANOIA AGENT remind fans most of all the difference between what can be done, and what we usually settle for.

—C.

Kagura: "Oh! It's a hibiscus!"
Sakaki: "Pomegranate."
—AZUMANGA DAIOH
Dark Chi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:51 am Reply with quote
Carl Horn wrote:
Dark Chi wrote:
I just read the Sunday NYT's article and found it confusing. Was the article about Cartoon Network or anime on American TV in general? It seemed to me that the writer failed on the latter since he doesn't mention anime on other nets such as G4, The Anime Network (VOD), Anime Selects (VOD), Starz and Showtime Extreme.
I'm sorry, but mentioning FLCL and Paranoia Agent is like saying that the Longhorns had just won the Rose Bowl -- last week.

But whereas tens of millions of people follow college football, only a few hundred thousand are watching Adult Swim. So FLCL and PARANOIA AGENT will be new to most NYT readers, and both are quite different but excellent introductions to anime beyond Miyazaki. Furthermore, it's not like anime gives us something like these two works every week. I'm not saying all anime has to be groundbreaking—that's not a fair burden to put on it, as no one demands that of TV and movies in general—but FLCL and PARANOIA AGENT remind fans most of all the difference between what can be done, and what we usually settle for.

—C.

Kagura: "Oh! It's a hibiscus!"
Sakaki: "Pomegranate."
—AZUMANGA DAIOH

Hmmm...Interesting. You didn't include the next sentence which was "Dated information. Dated sources." If you are going to mention FLCL and Paranoia Agent, don't write them up as the newest shows to hit TV because they are either in the middle of their run or just ending their seventh run. In fact, Mr. Hale doesn't even write about Gigantor airing on CN at 5:30 AM ever weekday morning.
And, I believe this is the fifth or sixth article in the past three years I have read from NYTs regarding anime on US TV with most of their coverage biased to Cartoon Network's anime programming.
My problem with the article is simple - if you are to write an article on the state of anime programming in the US, please mention the other networks and VOD services that do offer anime programming. Otherwise, your article is meaningless to me and completely biased towards one side.
digihood

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:40 am Reply with quote
NYT is fairly cosmopolitan, would be great if the article trickles down to a rural news source.
Someone_II

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Since when is Naruto on AS?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3