• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Manga Hell, Part II

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomadou

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:16 am Reply with quote
What burns me up the most when I read manga are translation issues (that's what I notice first). Like when a translator changes content to suit an American audience because they might not understand the Japanese concept. (Like in Me & My Brothers by Hari Tokeino) Or, when they try to follow too closely to the original translation to the point of keeping the English text written top to bottom/right to left... Like the first volume of Cipher by Minako Narita. [Only the first volume. The series itself is perfection!]

Then there are the manga-style comic drawn purely because the style is popular, not because the artist understands why it's popular. There's a series of 'inspirational' comic books drawn manga-style from RealBuzz Studios called, "Serenity". They're so offensive... let's just say that I can't tell you if I'm more offended as a Christian, or as a manga reader.

---

BTW, I loved this post -- I was literally nodding in agreement the whole time! And amendment though, Dante's first circle of hell was filled with poets and philosophers. You should really have put manga critics in that one. The sin of ripping apart manga? Smile

Now, I'm just waiting for you to assign appropriate punishments for each circle. That's always my favourite part of Dante.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:19 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Hey! Kare Kano shouldn't be in Manga Hell!

which is clearly one aspect that he definitely dont know what he's talking about. for one thing kare kano is deinitely a decent manga. especially for those shojo fanatics.

also ecchi/harem series like eiken, girls bravo , battle vixens , queens blade and others have their places but definitely shouldnt be in manga hell. cause whether you like it or not, sex sells, and when it comes to fanservice those series definitely do well enough. not every harem series have to be like love hina.

however i definiely agree that zombie powder belongs here. sure its not bad, but there was too many flaws that it ended up getting canceled after three volumes. another one is tokko which is also a good series but only ended after two volumes. definitely not a good thing for the guy that gave us GTO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pylgrim

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

which is clearly one aspect that he definitely don't know what he's talking about. for one thing kare kano is deinitely a decent manga. especially for those shojo fanatics.

also ecchi/harem series like eiken, girls bravo , battle vixens , queens blade and others have their places but definitely shouldnt be in manga hell. cause whether you like it or not, sex sells, and when it comes to fanservice those series definitely do well enough. not every harem series have to be like love hina.

however i definiely agree that zombie powder belongs here. sure its not bad, but there was too many flaws that it ended up getting canceled after three volumes. another one is tokko which is also a good series but only ended after two volumes. definitely not a good thing for the guy that gave us GTO.

You need to re-read the disclaimer in the first part. This "Manga Hell" is not exclusively for bad manga. It's more a playful exercise in finding manga-related parallels to the sins categorised in The Divine Comedy. Obviously, many of the most "sinful" (i.e. ridden with cliches, literary devices and characterisation that could be passed as a sin) are also some of the worst manga out there. However, even great manga is not perfect and could be sent to any of the Hell's levels for its sins.
Snootymatt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:33 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

which is clearly one aspect that he definitely don't know what he's talking about. for one thing kare kano is deinitely a decent manga. especially for those shojo fanatics.

Zombie Powder had 4 volumes and was actually cancelled because Tite Kubo had some form of breakdown, not because it was cancelled.

Though i do agree the first 3 volumes were very flawed, and at times i found them dull, but in the 4th i felt the series improved dramatically and redeemed itself and builds up to a major turning point.... and then ends. I would put it in the 4th circle.
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I know BLEACH already appeared in an earlier circle of Hell, but it deserves to double-dip in Hades due to its treatment of Orihime in the Hueco Mundo arc and for shamelessly ripping off YU YU HAKUSHO's Yusuke/Sensui fight with Ichigo/Ulquiorra. These are halmarks of next-level hackery if I ever saw any.
Pleinair92

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:46 am Reply with quote
I'm disappointed at how not-that-terrible the bottom three manga were. When I got to Eiken, I thought, "Well, if THIS is the second-worst, the worst can't be that bad". And I was right.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:11 am Reply with quote
Ah Jason! You coped out You intentionally left out the really final level. The actual molten blazing core of Manga Hell. The "straight-up "adult" manga with actual sex;"
Level 10:
Pure Hentai Doujinshi.

Pure in the sense of pure evil. Blatant anything-and-everything-goes and is and will be depicted in such depravedly graphical detail that De-Vinci himself would have been impressed.
Demonically tearing apart and cannibalising whilst it's still alive just about every manga, or anime that is childrens mainstream, or family friendly, even computer programmes, right down the genre spectrum, then excreting it back out as total explicit sexual demented defication of the insanely bassist of human and non-human sexual imagination possible. Even Yotsuba&! and her tricycle would be eaten. Nothing and no one is safe there. I believe even saten stays away. Twisted Evil
JR-1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Wow, these batches of sinners are definitely worse than the previous ones, partly considering being offended is still more entertainment than being bored.

And your knowledge of -bad- manga is truly formidable, Jason. I've read more than a thousand manga series, and while I have a passing familiarity with many of the titles you mentioned here, I haven't actually read most of them. I mean, why would I do that to myself knowing how bad it is? Case in point, I tried reading Pastel and gave up after a few volumes after literally almost nothing happens and seeing that 'good lord, this series is more than 30-volumes and still running?'. The fanservice isn't even well-drawn, funny, or downright offensive. It's just sorta there

Some other thoughts:
-Interesting how you pick Atsushi Suzumi as the representative of 'shonen mangaka who consistently makes mediocre shonen manga'
-Kia Asamiya is the worst manga artist if based on the gap between popularity and drawing ability. I only read Junk: Record of Last Hero and the art is tolerable in that one only because the major characters spend most of the time masked.
- There's some decent to good manga from Nakayoshi and Ciao but you're right. They all look the same to the point that it takes a really strong recommendation for me to try a manga from those magazines.
- We have a lot of 'how-to-draw-manga' books in our country too. Of course, most of them are from local artists trying to make a quick buck (or, if I'm being sympathetic, trying to make ends meet). Of course, most of them only goes to the superficial stuff. We got Yuu Watase's 'how to draw shoujo manga' and simplistic as it is, that's still more informative than all of them combined.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Ah Jason! You coped out You intentionally left out the really final level. The actual molten blazing core of Manga Hell. The "straight-up "adult" manga with actual sex;"
Level 10:
Pure Hentai Doujinshi.

Pure in the sense of pure evil. Blatant anything-and-everything-goes and is and will be depicted in such depravedly graphical detail that De-Vinci himself would have been impressed.
Demonically tearing apart and cannibalising whilst it's still alive just about every manga, or anime that is childrens mainstream, or family friendly, even computer programmes, right down the genre spectrum, then excreting it back out as total explicit sexual demented defication of the insanely bassist of human and non-human sexual imagination possible. Even Yotsuba&! and her tricycle would be eaten. Nothing and no one is safe there. I believe even saten stays away. Twisted Evil

Unfortunately, that circle had to be shipped to Israel to house Stalag Fiction.
spoiler[][/img][/spoiler]
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:10 pm Reply with quote
ugh. glad those never made it to the US. it would have been uber controversy central. especially when it came to propagandizing both the nazis and women from the japaneese empire in WWII turning US soliders into their personal toys.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:10 am Reply with quote
What the heck? Is anyone reading the shoujo manga mentioned or just picking some out at random? I read La Cordo D'Oro and wonder who thought it was a rapey manga- it's one of the better male harem manga out there, just because it's not about the harem but about the music. That Haruka one's only crime is in being boring. But Mayu Shinju kind of rates a mentions though, don'cha think? Where's she?
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
La Corda is definitely one of the better reverse harem manga out there, especially considering it's based on a game. The heroine actaully has a personality and it's as much about her learning to play and the competition than it is about romance. The guys' personailities are pretty well developed too. Viz rated it T as well, there's nothing sexual in it at all. I can't remember if there's even any kisses. LaLa manga usually isn't massively sexual. Go to Shogakukan for that. The currently airing anime based on the 3rd game is boring as hell because it's trying to be like every other recent otome game based anime, and therefore doesn't have any of the elements which made the original series stand out left in it. The protagonist has all the personality of cardboard and the guys are stock otome game archetypes.
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:25 am Reply with quote
I think Christopher Hart and other westerners who publish their own "How-draw-manga" books are safe right now because no one is translating and publishing Japanese "How-draw-manga" books at this moment. (There were Japanese how-to-draw book published in English, but their arts are dated and out of print)

I've seen several dozen new Japanese "How-draw-manga" books in Kinokuniya bookstore of San Francisco and their art and content kicks butt of what Hart and wannabes are publishing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3