• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kiznaiver (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:06 am Reply with quote
Well, Nico having feelings for Tenga felt a bit sudden. I certainly don't recall any specific moments hinting at that. I did remember her being upset about Chidori getting so much attention during the training camp but I didn't think that was the reason.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:20 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Well, Nico having feelings for Tenga felt a bit sudden. I certainly don't recall any specific moments hinting at that. I did remember her being upset about Chidori getting so much attention during the training camp but I didn't think that was the reason.

I was not so sure about that one also.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:29 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 10:

Claudia's role has been underwhelming this season imo. I find Julis' brother to be a rather dull character, don't really care much about his status as "King" or whatever. On the other hand, the talk about the upcoming festival battle could be exciting but with just two more episodes left, I can't see it happening unless they plan more season.

Saya on the other hand needs more screen time even though she got some relationship connection with Hayato. The dresses looked pretty for the girls.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Season 2, episode 10:

Claudia's role has been underwhelming this season imo. I find Julis' brother to be a rather dull character, don't really care much about his status as "King" or whatever. On the other hand, the talk about the upcoming festival battle could be exciting but with just two more episodes left, I can't see it happening unless they plan more season.

Saya on the other hand needs more screen time even though she got some relationship connection with Hayato. The dresses looked pretty for the girls.

Wrong show Stark, haha

Not sure how you could mix them up... One is in the running for the title of 'Anime of the Season', the other wishes it was over already. Laughing
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

Not sure how to feel about this episode. On the one hand, things were bound to end up collapsing on themselves the way they did... On the other hand, the reactions of the characters felt a little forced. Overall it was a good episode, but I think Okada really needs to learn somethring about subtlety.

Last edited by v1cious on Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:05 pm Reply with quote
What's the chances of any of them surviving the summer after that?

I get the feeling this could go south very quickly and turn into a blood bath, with the possibility of a Nico/ Chidori Yandere 'Slasher' tag team.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:43 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

You do kind of see it all falling into pieces. The clenches were things like Chidori running away from it, and Tenga forcing Katsuhira to go after her, and the double standards in regards to Nico. It was all part of a mess of what the characters might want on the outside, what selfish wishes they have on the inside, and just a whole bunch of conflicting feelings.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I've kept this one observation I've had of this show to myself, or rather, a question. I've come close to asking it multiple times but stopping short....

"Is there a reason that they make every single one of the characters so irritating?"
Really, every one of the group and supporting character is an obnoxious version of the person you are meant to see them as. If someone has an annoying trait- that trait is completely in your face and constantly on display.

But 10 episodes in I think I've finally found the reason. If you are bombarded with their irritating behavior, you suddenly feel a huge amount of sympathy for them the very moment they drop that behavior.

But what do I think of the strategy? is it a valid story-telling tool? For the first time, I feel like next week's episode won't feel like a chore to start up. I'll actually look forward to it... but isn't it a little too late? Will I suddenly be able to "like" this cast?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

That cry. The single fact it felt so awkward really sold it as emotionally effective.

Katsuhira, Hisomu and Nico part for the win. Especially when Hisomu teased Nico in asking if she wanted a reverse harem.'

I liked the episode.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:46 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 10

That cry. The single fact it felt so awkward really sold it as emotionally effective.

Yep, that was the entire episode's worth right there. Infodumps are infodumps - and in a series I'm not too particularly engaged with any sort of world it's trying to build it doesn't do much - and individually I dislike about 90% of these characters. But that final scene's entirety was just great.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:44 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I've kept this one observation I've had of this show to myself, or rather, a question. I've come close to asking it multiple times but stopping...rest of quote

Really? Human beings are quite unlikable anyway so they would be quite realistic representations. While they are certainly portrayed as having one key characteristic over the rest of their personalities (apart from the guy who likes pain whose flamboyance towards it borders on silly), the rest are attempts to see these characteristics in your own experiences.

Humans tend to be more nuanced in their personalities but I would have thought it would take a lot more episodes to flesh out the feelings of a normal person because, naturally, we would be hostile to such an intrusion.

Overall I feel the opposite, these characters are likable because there is a level of honesty about them and their interactions with each other. Could you imagine chucking a bunch of random human teens together from different social circles? We would be here forever Smile
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:29 pm Reply with quote
12skippy21 wrote:

Really? Human beings are quite unlikable anyway so they would be quite realistic representations.

So, this is a Slice of Life for pessimists?

That's not really meant to be insulting BTW, I really do see your idea as insightful. YOu look at it at it a different way and apparently can identify yourself with the cast. I haven't even come close.

Quote:
Could you imagine chucking a bunch of random human teens together from different social circles? We would be here forever

You didn't realize? This is a Sci-Fi anime Breakfast Club! (except- IMO, with an unlikable cast)
12skippy21

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
12skippy21 wrote:

Really? Human beings are quite unlikable anyway so they would be quite realistic representations.

So, this is a Slice of Life for pessimists?

I prefer the term realist Wink

I never found your comment offensive, no worries. On that line of thought though my concern is how they will end it. If Nori has to have medical treatment to keep the pain at bay then how do you remove the connection, kill those in the vegetative state? Kill herself?

While the show has achieved some decent emotional development for its cast (kudos to it, most do not bother), they seem to be writing themselves into a 'love conquers all' scenario to deal with Nori. They can be connected in each others pain, share the burden, so on and so forth, but this resolution would not solve the actual fallout of the original experiment. However I cannot think of an alternative ending either and feel the 'LCA' ending would devalve what we have seen thus far
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Darkness. Despair. I want to feel pain to feel alive. The me in you isn't me.

Jeez. How did I make it through 11 episodes of this melodrama. I am now 100% certain that Kiznaiver is nothing but a series about emo kids being emo.

I forgot what I look like when I smile. What is this feeling in my chest? I have no emotions.

Slap a Saosin shirt on these kids and they'll fit right in at any Hot Topic.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:18 am Reply with quote
Looks like it was all about empathy. Although there really are people who lack that ability, it is a kind of sad mental disorder, and goes beyond some certain experience. Although I have been hearing some thoughts that society can often reward it.

Anyway, I could see it coming that they would say that the feeling they were having in thinking it was the link was actually empathy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4