• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Conan O'Brien Rips Apart Final Fantasy XV: 'Why is This a Game?'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:12 pm Reply with quote
This dude Conan man Laughing He never fails to make me laugh
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
The amount of butthurt in hilarious. For those who don't watch Conon, that's his persona. He does this in his show, and he especially acts like these for the clueless gamer segments. He trash talks every game. This is still good publicity for FF XV

There's actually not that many people in this thread who are offended by what Conan said.....
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Hee, this is one of his better ones. Very Happy
MrBonk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:03 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
I'm not offended because Final Fantasy has not been all that good since 10-2. but hopefully 15 can at least be better then the god awful 13 trilogy.

Gotta be that guy huh? This is exactly what Tabata was talking about when he referred to Final Fantasy disease. There's nothing wrong with Final Fantasy since [INSERT HERE]. It's the fans that are the problem. Wink They've got FF Disease.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I can think of another a game I'd love to see him play and potentially fail at.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:06 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Ambimunch"]The amount of butthurt in hilarious. For those who don't watch Conon, that's his persona. He does this in his show, and he especially acts like these for the clueless gamer segments. He trash talks every game. This is still good publicity for FF XV[/quote]

To be fair, you can tell the difference when he kinda likes a game as compared to when he hates it and genuinely thinks it's trash. In this case, the jokes weren't really that funny and he clearly didn't see the games audience and seemed to dislike it.

Final Fantasy has gone through some rough times lately. They have been trying to transition to a more westernized type of game while keeping their original fanbase. It's leaving games stuck awkwardly in the middle that are not appealing to either audience. Whether FFXV will follow yet in this pattern is unknown, but I believe that many westerners (Conan included) would never understand the appeal of a traditional JRPG. So if FFXV has returned to the roots, it might be asking a bit much.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Man that was hilarious to watch and this is coming from a long time Finale Fantasy fan and although FF hasn't been all that good in recent years I'm still going to commit to XV. Cool
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:00 am Reply with quote
#838774 wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
The amount of butthurt in hilarious. For those who don't watch Conon, that's his persona. He does this in his show, and he especially acts like these for the clueless gamer segments. He trash talks every game. This is still good publicity for FF XV

To be fair, you can tell the difference when he kinda likes a game as compared to when he hates it and genuinely thinks it's trash. In this case, the jokes weren't really that funny and he clearly didn't see the games audience and seemed to dislike it..

Still, even before I looked at the clip, the "He's pushing a car!...This is a game??" line got a genuine LOL moment from me-- Laughing
And that's as one who actually played the PS2 games up to X/X-2, but thought the PS3&4 games got a little too tragically full of their own worlds.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:37 am Reply with quote
I, for one, am excited for Final Fantasy XV. They're putting so much effort into the experience and the atmosphere, and to be honest, that's what I tend to like most about recent HD games. I'm not really into this "better graphics make a game better" mindset, but what better way to take advantage of realism in a fantasy world than to present the world with a big touch of reality in its gameplay? It's not really necessary to make a grat game, but for some people like myself, it certainly adds to the experience and makes the increasingly realistic graphics worth something.

It's not like many game companies truly get the chance to make a game like this, and I've had more faith in Nomura (the original creator of the game) than any of the other major staff in Square Enix, so I'm hoping for the best. That said, I've got the Judgement Disc and have been playing it. So far, so good. Feels very much like the Duscae demo, which I also enjoyed.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:19 am Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:

Sidenote: X-2 was... tedious to play and mediocre at best. That happily-ever-after conclusion is way too unnecessary.

Wouldn't the happily ever after conclusion require Tidus to be alive?.....which he isn't.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:55 am Reply with quote
Personally, I am a huge fan of Final Fantasy, though I've only played it since the 10th entries, and touched only Final Fantasy 12 and the entire 13 saga. I don't played every title due to console difficulties and such but I still loved the franchise regardless. Seeing every video out there detailing how amazing the world of FF XV looked like, I couldn't help but feel hurt seeing someone rip the game but it's an opinion regardless, nothing sort of a fact. The most important thing is that I enjoy the game alone once the release date arrive. The sort of things that were showcased to be in the game so far is just so amazing, and truly is the most biggest and ambitious Final Fantasy title to ever be made public by far. Really can't wait to play it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:19 am Reply with quote
I think Conan spelled out quite well what the problems with this installment are. We all have been talking about the problems of this game for many months now. The problem is not that it is a JRPG, and that mainstream Americans don't understand it. I think Conan nailed it, and made us laugh about it. Pretty good of him.

I rarely like playing male characters, so those five guys in a car promos, kinda killed it for me. That is just my personal taste. So it is kind of sad for those who are the targeted consumer for this game.

But hey, if you like it spend that money. That way hopefully the next game will be the jackpot.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:47 am Reply with quote
Can't wait to finally play FFXV after all this time.
I keep seeing this guy pop up on things.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:08 am Reply with quote
The amount of people that desperately want FFXV to crash and burn is hilarious.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:01 am Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
The amount of people that desperately want FFXV to crash and burn is hilarious.

It really does feel like that sometimes. It is practically the new hype machine. We get one crowd that Thinks it looks cool, and Another that jumps on every opportunity to say it sucks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5