• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: CNN Article Spotlights Japanese Dating Sims for Women

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grouwl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:20 am Reply with quote
@Topgunguy.....Hahahaha...no bro...I'm south american (you know, salsa dancer, know my way around girls etc...) which is STILL America...just more to the south.
In my country there's a culture of "Look, a pretty girl, ask her out ." and on the first date...You're expected to confess your feelings or make a move, if not, the next guy will.
I'm almost 40 too, I lost count how many girls I dated. I'm married now.

Just as many of you guys, I daydreamed of marrying a Japanese girl for the anime thing.
you know, she knows anime, Japanese culture etc. My passport to happiness, so I thought.
But my personal experience with japan girls hasn't been good. They won't give you a chance at all. Maybe is the foreigner thing. I don't know, But I've been in real relationships and they "hide" inside smiles, pandering and it feels fake just talking to them.
Many people tell me..."Nahh, you gotta come to Japan for a nice girl. Japanese girls get scared when they travel" culture shock or whatnot. But still, My wife right now is not Japanese and she loves anime as much as me, understand me for what I am and she's not super hot but at least I can be happy with honest answers and feelings.

Dunno. I feel sad for that culture...30 years from now we will have less and less people in Japan. In my country, we're having a population growth of young mothers and teens being raised by someone almost 16 years older than her due to all the teen pregnancy that was rampart when I was in high school. That won't ever happen in Japan for sure.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:54 am Reply with quote
grouwl wrote:

In my country there's a culture of "Look, a pretty girl, ask her out ." ...

I'm probably just horribly repressed because I'm British, but that's pretty unsightly.
I wouldn't want to be anywhere near a relationship with someone I'm not romantically
interested in and considering that otome games are typically romantic, I've a feeling this is the general consensus with these women who are happy to not be in relationships.
'Attractive' people are a dime a dozen, but someone who actually cares about you is rare af. It's a waste of time otherwise.

grouwl wrote:

...all the teen pregnancy that was rampart when I was in high school. That won't ever happen in Japan for sure.

Coming from a country that also had a big teen pregnancy problem, this is a good thing.

But anyway correlation =/= causation. Is this really the kind of thing that runs on American news channels? Next they'll be telling us videogames cause violence.

chaccide wrote:
Did no one actually look at the CNN article? Or at the Japanese article CNN references?
Third, the survey about virginity shows there has been little change in the numbers of virgins for each age group SINCE 1987. In other words, there's no link between the internet, dating sums, and these statistics.

Basically, all that's happening is that the women who are usually in this group are now happier because they're playing these games. This is a non-story.

this
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:00 am Reply with quote
CNN is obviously using a pop cultural reference when they're lowkey conducting a survey, I bet if it's in Korea they'll use Hallyu as an excuse

Voltage Inc may have fallen from the grace since the release of BMP 2, mainly because of the system update where no 3rd party hackers could mass share the plist file codes, Solmare-inc is already slaying them while Otomate and Bandai(Idolish7) is leading now. DMM is doing great because they've expanded their market to the female audience(Touken Ranbu) after kancolle.

The thing why CNN covered this instead of a dating sim light novel for dudes(or conducting a survey about the Japanese birth rate) is because Otome games arent that much sexualized compared to male dating sims
dollssoulkirie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Thanks for this article to bringing me attention on some of these games. Fell in love with the pics.

There's quite a lot to choose from on Google Play and iTunes (and to a lesser extent on Amazon too) when it comes to otome games. The BL mobile market is slowly growing right now, there's not much to choose from for bishoujo (NTT Solmare is releasing their first one this month, lol), and I'm not too sure about the yuri scene on Android/iOS yet.

Most of the mobile games are "free to play" daily log-in games -- games where you only get 5 tickets a day to enjoy part of the story. The translations from those vary greatly from "horribly translated" to "I can somewhat read & understand it" to "somewhat perfect but there's still some mistakes." Those games can feel more expensive, if you want to progress further in the story faster or to unlock an image because of a premium story choice. But some of those free games are constantly updated with events and more characters. So there's always stuff to do in them. Companies like Voltage Inc, NTT Solmare, and D3 Publisher (to name a few) offer apps where you buy a character route for a set price. (Voltage Inc also has quite a few sales throughout the year for their paid apps. I know fans love charging their credit cards a few hundred dollars to buy all the discounted stories that they can buy during those sales.) You also have companies like Aksys Games, Idea Factory International, MangaGamer, and Sekai Project that license PC/console games for English releases in NA & EU. Dogenzaka Lab ported most of D3 Publisher's mobile games to Steam and D3 is releasing one of their own Vita games on Steam this month! And then you have companies like Cheritz, Hanako Games, Happy Backwards, sakevisual, Winter Wolves, and many other indies that make original English games. Some even hire voice actors to voice characters in their original games. Cheritz exploded in popularity recently with their app Mystic Messenger, lol.

As someone who's a follower of the mobile otome scene (lol I made a separate Twitter account just for otome news/questions/spamming), it's pretty easy to get lost in all the available options that are presented to us. But sites like English Otome Games or Word Nerd Memoir's game database have lists on what's free/paid content, what has female love interests, and what systems they are on. So that's something to look into, if you're interested in delving more into otome games.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JDude042

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I don't really have anything to say about dating sims, but I've known for a while now about Japan's aforementioned issues with low-birth rate, lack of interest in mutual relationships, and etc. I'm glad I'm not a part of that. I'm 32 years old and my girlfriend who I've really lucked out with is 29 years old. I've only been together with her for 2 months now, but I can honestly say that I wouldn't mind spending the rest of my life with her. She doesn't have any kids, doesn't do anything questionable, and she's pretty much living on her own and taking care of her self. Both her parents passed away when she was younger, and while that is a shame, it kinda makes me want to take care of and be there for her. Of course, we get along really well together and obviously our feelings are mutual. I've never had much luck with dating in the past, and I honestly wondered if I was ever going to find anyone worthwhile, but apparently things can change (for the better or worse) really fast. So let that be a lesson to anyone who is down on their luck with dating & relationships, because anything can happen. I took the initiative to ask her out when she came shopping at where I work because I thought she looked interesting, and now 2 months later and we're in a nice relationship together.
JAYOOD

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Say goodbye to Japan population lol
Haterater

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:53 pm Reply with quote
@ dollssoulkirie

Thanks for the information!
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:
What, no mention of Katawa Shoujo here? Sure, it wasn't a traditional dating sim and I think there were some members of the team from other countries, but I still think it counts as being successful, western-made game in a way. That game was pretty (internet) popular a few years ago. I got incredibly attached to the characters, more than in most VNs i've played since. The subject matter was treated with a great deal of respect. For a free VN that was made just by a small team, i've seen how passionate the fans are and how the game actually changed some people's lives.

Probably because it was released for free, and I think most of us were thinking of commercial games.

But several popular commercial games have already been mentioned. Sakevisual, Christine Love, some of the Winter Wolves games, etc. These aren't giant mainstream hits, but plenty of them do well enough.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:25 am Reply with quote
There is nothing wrong with being an adult and being single.
There is nothing wrong with being older and being a virgin.
There is nothing wrong with having no interest in dating.

End of story.

"Population decline, ahhh!!" - but the population of the world as a whole isn't declining, just one country, and even if the world population were declining, that wouldn't be a bad thing. Japan can find ways around the economic effects of population decline, just like they found ways to build the best trains in the world on some of the most difficult terrain in the world.

Sex and dating are not required. It's not Japan that needs to get over themselves, it's you.

(I'm not saying Japan is perfect - Japan definitely has issues, including society being judgmental towards people's lifestyles... but who's being judgmental towards someone's lifestyles now?
Also, how many books have you published? Yes, that otome game illustrator, that BL mangaka, even that doujin artist, have done more with their lives than you have, without dating.)
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:33 am Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:

There's nothing wrong with dying and not leaving an heir apparently.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:10 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
#861208 wrote:

There's nothing wrong with dying and not leaving an heir apparently.

Have to agree with you. When the death rate is higher than the birth rate for an extended time you've got problems.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3