• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami Replaces One Piece Anime With Tokyo Ghoul Starting on March 25

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LoriasGS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:43 am Reply with quote
[quote="SkippyTheRobot"]
LoriasGS wrote:
Tsumikisan wrote:
KH91 wrote:
Oh wow, I was under the impression they were already at Marineford. Well damn then there goes my theory. Laughing

leafy sea dragon wrote:
The timeskip won't happen for another long while, around 100 episodes or so.

They're reached the timeskip in their DVD releases (the last release finishing on the last pre-timeskip episode) that came out in December and they haven't revealed the release date of any news ones yet which is strange because normally by the time a DVD comes out they've already announced the release date of the next, and they stopped their simulcast back in September.

But at the same time the latest volume had an extra feature called Outtakes part 1(which implies a part 2 is intended) and they did recently license One Piece Gold so it looks like the future of one piece in Funimation is pretty vague at this point. The evidence suggests they had every intention of continuing past the timeskip but something is getting in their way, this thing with Toonami is clearly related.

The simulcast is still going on both FUNi and Crunchyroll and there's evidence that shows that they've been dubbing the post-timeskip stuff since July

Awesome I'm glad to hear it. I don't have crunchyroll and haven't been able to find it on funimations website anywhere. Oh well, I stream it on other sites I'll just have to be patient for the next dvd release.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:44 am Reply with quote
I hope that this isn't permanent and that after Tokyo Ghoul is over One Piece makes it's triumphant return. Confused
ECW28

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:27 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
I hope that this isn't permanent and that after Tokyo Ghoul is over One Piece makes it's triumphant return. Confused

They made a farewell video, which sounds permanent to me. Demarco DIDN'T rule out a return someday, however.
1dbad

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:57 am Reply with quote
SkippyTheRobot wrote:
there's evidence that shows that they've been dubbing the post-timeskip stuff since July

What is this evidence?
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:38 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
3 AM is mostly the slot where shows still owned by Toonami for broadcasting are placed, until the rights revert back to the licensor. Attack on Titan, Kill la Kill, Parasyte, and most recently One Punch Man are examples of this.[/b]

I know, but it hasn't been regularly used for premieres like Mr. Shonen seems to want.

MoonPhase1 wrote:
Hellsing Ultimate was also a premiere at 3 AM, but it was like that since Episode 1.

It initially aired at 3AM for the first two episodes, but it was bumped up to 2AM for episodes 3-8 (then 12AM for the final two).

Last edited by veemonjosh on Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:44 am Reply with quote
I wish they could put both DB series on from 9-10PM so that why I have a better chance of seeing them live vs. our DVR messing up.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:54 am Reply with quote
Lopezz wrote:
Tokyo Ghoul will die while OP will still live.

Pathetic.

I'm pretty sure Sui Ishida wasn't setting out to get "One Piece" cancelled on American TV. It's not TG's fault this happened. This is why OP fans annoy me. They have such an elitist attitude. They're the PC Gamers of the Otaku Community.
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:15 am Reply with quote
Depressing. I can't say I'm shocked, but it does sting that dragon ball can hold down two series at once and One Piece can't maintain one much later in the block. (I'm fully aware of the difference in popularity, just speaking as an avid One Piece fan who wishes for it's success over seas.)
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:15 am Reply with quote
I don't mind sense I stopped watching OP awhile ago, but I wish it was replaced with a better anime. The TG manga is great, but the anime? Lol. But I'm interested in hearing the dub and there are some good scenes in the anime that I like so I'll tune in.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:58 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Fine with me. I turn off Toonami after ShotaXShota, anyway.

ShotaXShota.I like that Laughing
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Dang it. That's not what I expected to hear. One Piece arrives, then leaves, then returns and now leaves again. It seems like a really bad joke. As someone else mentioned, I don't know why they don't just replace Gundam Unicorn instead once it's over (unless they're saving that spot for the second season of Iron-blooded Orphans).
Ziko577

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:45 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
That's a shame, but hopefully it will return one day. One Piece has always had a hard time in the US, which sucks because it's a great series with great characters, so much heart, and a really memorable, unique style. I'll watch every episode a million times over before I view a single episode of comparatively bland (IMO) stuff like Bleach and Naruto.

Also, One Piece is a show that pretty much forces you to watch multiple episodes at once. One episode a week is just way too slow. It would take months for the plot to seriously move along. Maybe if Toonami was still on five times a week, it would make more sense. That's how they made DBZ work. Toonami really did try to make this series work. They even tried repeats at 8:30 (at a very bad point in the show), and the show does have a devoted cult following, but it was just hard to make it work here. The writing's been on the wall ever since they pushed it back so late. It had a decent 4-year-run on the block, but it's, sadly, just time to move on.

I agree with that statement about multiple eps. In fact, I watch the dub episodes online when they come out on DVD courtesy of Funimation with my brother. I managed to finish all the arc past the point where it'll end on Toonami. The Impel Down arc I hated as it dragged and the fights were stupid but Marineford was ok for the most part despite it sometimes slowing in between battles. Currently, I'm waiting for the timeskip so I can get back to it.

I do think that airing Toonami 6 nights a week or so is a good idea as they can get through the longer series faster that way. I propose that if they did that at 11:30 every night that we could be through all those series in half the time. I say that because Sunday is a big day for Adult Swim as typically most of the core shows air at those times and Toonami would cut into them. Granted they air some things during the end portion of the week but that for a handful of shows.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:07 pm Reply with quote
bleachigo66 wrote:
Depressing. I can't say I'm shocked, but it does sting that dragon ball can hold down two series at once and One Piece can't maintain one much later in the block. (I'm fully aware of the difference in popularity, just speaking as an avid One Piece fan who wishes for it's success over seas.)

The cultural impact of Dragon Ball absolutely cannot be underestimated. The franchise alone is what had sustained FUNimation through some otherwise financially tough years. There's a reason why they kept re-relleasing Dragon Ball Z: People kept buying them. The series is pretty much synonymous with anime in the west.

What's more remarkable about the Dragon Ball franchise getting two shows is that one of these shows got Toonami an extra half-hour slot. That is, instead of replacing another Toonami show with Dragon Ball Super, an Adult Swim Comedy timeslot was replaced with it.

As for One Piece, the well had been poisoned. Between it being associated with 4Kids, its extreme long-runner status, it starting on the Davy Back Fight arc (filler and all), the art style being a turn off to a lot of people, and the premise being a turn off to a lot of people, One Piece is a hard sell to the Anglosphere. It's one of those "Ehhhhh...I dunno...." kind of series to your typical Toonami watcher. It doesn't have the level of Japanese exoticism most of the rest of its Toonami brethren have.

Ziko577 wrote:
I do think that airing Toonami 6 nights a week or so is a good idea as they can get through the longer series faster that way. I propose that if they did that at 11:30 every night that we could be through all those series in half the time. I say that because Sunday is a big day for Adult Swim as typically most of the core shows air at those times and Toonami would cut into them. Granted they air some things during the end portion of the week but that for a handful of shows.

Unless they get some sort of graveyard slot, it's not going to happen. Adult Swim Comedy's ratings dwarf those of Toonami (espectially when Rick and Morty and the Seth MacFarlane shows are on--their reruns crush Toonami's new episodes), and they're not going to lose money just so some anime fans somewhere can catch up. Then again, Toonami was a loss leader when it was brought back too, and Adult Swim Action was REALLY draining money right before that.
theNightster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Lopezz wrote:
Tokyo Ghoul will die while OP will still live.

Pathetic.

I'm pretty sure Sui Ishida wasn't setting out to get "One Piece" cancelled on American TV. It's not TG's fault this happened. This is why OP fans annoy me. They have such an elitist attitude. They're the PC Gamers of the Otaku Community.
funny thing is that there's a reason why they're taking it off in the first place. they weren't watching and they wonder why it's leaving the Toonami line up prematurely (thought to be fair the anime as a whole will never end, not as long as the manga is still going that is)
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:00 pm Reply with quote
So they got rid of a long runner with bad ratings.

I don't see the issue.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6