• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Searching for Star Blazers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyron

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:56 am Reply with quote
Apparently Voyager Ent is like, three 70yr old people who are probably lazy and retired and forgot they have the license. I'd love to know more lore on them.
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:14 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Any continued use of "Star Blazers" to refer to Space Battleship Yamato is enough to send me into a rage.

Agreed. I can't even listen to western anime fans talk about Yamato when they call it StarBlazers. It's like the "n" word of anime. To dare sully the glory of "Yamato" by uttering those filthy two words...bah

That said, this is exactly the reason pirating never dies. For a few years though, the anime industry was recovering well. Prices were decent. Heck I was buying new stuff all the time to support the industry. Then they did a full 180. Either being royal dirtbags with releases or just never releasing them here.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:05 am Reply with quote
Squidslinger wrote:

Agreed. I can't even listen to western anime fans talk about Yamato when they call it StarBlazers. It's like the "n" word of anime. To dare sully the glory of "Yamato" by uttering those filthy two words...bah

That said, this is exactly the reason pirating never dies.

Because the sort of people who are willing to "fall into a rage" over a localized name (which happens with a ton more properties, in both directions) are the type of people who will find any self-serving excuse necessary to justify to themselves continued pirating? So by demonstrating that such people are around, you demonstrate that pirating will never die.
Bamble

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:09 am Reply with quote
That Italy is the sole country outside of Japan to get an official home video release of Yamato 2199 comes as no surprise. Since Italy had many high-profile older anime series dubbed and on television back in the day, including multiple Leiji Matsumoto's series, like France, it is a market pre-disposed to latter-day remakes/reboots of older properties.

That Yamato 2199 still hasn't been given a complete release in the U.S. some four years after the series was shown in Japan is more of a surprise. Between the test dub, Voyager's ill-advised kicking out of Tim Eldred, and their infamous abortive home video release of the series, it is clear that all is not right behind the scenes, especially given that the original Yamato/Star Blazers is one of the few series of its era that did get a U.S. broadcast, and hence does genuinely have a built-in nostalgia factor, even if that is diminishing with every year.

Then there was the really rather odd instance of Funimation announcing in 2012 that they had licensed the Yamato Resurrection continuation movie, only to belatedly correct themselves three years later that they actually meant the live-action Yamato movie. In other words, they got it wrong and didn't tell anybody for... three years? Whatever you say, guys.

I wouldn't be surprised if Voyager were simply aiming too high in generating U.S. interest in the series, even with what little nostalgia factor is left. That their own releases also failed is a damning testament to their abilities at selling the series. One of the only viable ways forward would be to partner with one of the established U.S. anime release companies, but it seems this is the one thing they do not want to do. But that's okay, at least that way no one is making any extra money on the series so all is good, right?

At least the first series' home video release in Japan had English subs, for which I am extremely grateful. It was crushing news to discover that 2202 was not going to receive the same treatment. Like many others, I cancelled my pre-orders of the BDs on that basis, despite concerns from some quarters that, even with the lack of official English subs, we should still be supporting the series - a patently absurd notion given the complex dialogue that appears in the show.

My worst fear is that the Yamato license ends up being verboten in the U.S., much as Macross (ironically another series with a genuine nostalgia factor in the U.S.) did.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:01 am Reply with quote
SolHerald wrote:
I just wish the Yamato franchise was in the hands of more competent licensors. There is no reason such a classic series and its remakes shouldn't be streamed and have home releases.

The fact that there aren't quality US BluRay editions - or even just decent DVD editions - of the Yamato films is a crying shame. I keep hoping Voyager loses the license and someone else picks it up.

I have the Voyager DVD releases of the older films. I'll cop to also having obtained a Malaysian printing of Final Yamato, and the video quality of the LIKELY BOOTLEG is actually better than the official US release. It's even in stereo!

Inexcusable.
Marzan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:03 am Reply with quote
Why o why are 3 of the greatest sci-fi anime stuck in licensing/copyright hell of some sort? Macross, NGE and Space Battleship Yamato deserve better,
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:21 am Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
Why o why are 3 of the greatest sci-fi anime stuck in licensing/copyright hell of some sort? Macross, NGE and Space Battleship Yamato deserve better,

Because somebody in the west recognized them for what they were, jumped on the rights, and thought they could make a fortune if only they and they alone controlled it. But unfortunately, none of those people had the talent, connections, or the cash to take it any further.

Tho I keep hearing rumors about a Robotech film, so I suppose there's still some hope Macross can be rescued from Licensing Hell.
Marzan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:33 am Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
Marzan wrote:

Because somebody in the west recognized them for what they were, jumped on the rights, and thought they could make a fortune if only they and they alone controlled it. But unfortunately, none of those people had the talent, connections, or the cash to take it any further.

Tho I keep hearing rumors about a Robotech film, so I suppose there's still some hope Macross can be rescued from Licensing Hell.

Don't count on that. They've been talking about a Robotech live action for a decade now and nothing has ever come out of it. Harmony Gold cannot do anything right
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:02 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I have to be blunt Mike: WHY THE HELL DIDN'T YOU IMPORT THE JAPANESE BD'S OF YAMATO 2199? I bought all the 7 volumes, and they cost me around US $400. Yes, that is a lot of money for 26 episodes, but it was worth it because I love freaking show.

Jesus man, how conceited do you have to be to say something like that ?
I'm sure Mike Toole loves Yamato 2199, and frankly speaking between spending 100 $ for the whole show and 400 $ the choice is obvious. Unless you're shitting greenbacks all day long. And for good measure, the Italian version of Yamato 2199 is as good as the Japanese one. So you're paying 300% more for nothing if not bragging rights by buying the Japanese one.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
Don't count on that. They've been talking about a Robotech live action for a decade now and nothing has ever come out of it. Harmony Gold cannot do anything right

I don't count on it. HG had success with Robotech, but the way they've fumbled the ball since then (30 years, now!) speaks volumes about their abilities to get anything else done.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Man, it sucks so much that the Japanese blu-rays didn't get subs this time.
The first season of the remake was amazing so it really blows missing the new one.

Bamble wrote:
That Yamato 2199 still hasn't been given a complete release in the U.S. some four years after the series was shown in Japan is more of a surprise. Between the test dub, Voyager's ill-advised kicking out of Tim Eldred, and their infamous abortive home video release of the series, it is clear that all is not right behind the scenes, especially given that the original Yamato/Star Blazers is one of the few series of its era that did get a U.S. broadcast, and hence does genuinely have a built-in nostalgia factor, even if that is diminishing with every year.

At least the first series' home video release in Japan had English subs, for which I am extremely grateful. It was crushing news to discover that 2202 was not going to receive the same treatment. Like many others, I cancelled my pre-orders of the BDs on that basis, despite concerns from some quarters that, even with the lack of official English subs, we should still be supporting the series - a patently absurd notion given the complex dialogue that appears in the show.

Yeah, I'm so glad that the first season blu-rays in Japan got subs and imported all of them. And it's crazy to think that Voyager Ent had a chance to release a remake of this high quality of an anime that could have even rode some US nostalgia and yet still squandered the chance so pathetically and whimperingly.

It's further hilariously sad incompetence to hear that, along with the tease of a test dub that I'd heard about in the past, they even had an opportunity to get it on Adult Swim/Toonami with DeMarco interested in it and blew that chance too.

Exactly right. I imported the first season since from the first trailers it was so obvious how gloriously they were remaking, updating, and animating this with both familiar and expanded content and an expanded cast of characters and lavish animation. It sucked so damned much learning that the new season discs wouldn't have subs knowing that any kind of English release is likely 0%. But I had to cancel my pre-order of the first volume too, I simply have way too much anime, games, TV shows, and movies to buy to be able to afford buying spending first season money on a release that doesn't even have subs let alone for a dialogue heavy complex show, and I'm someone who spent the money to import the first season that had subs.
treatment

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
I have to be blunt Mike: WHY THE HELL DIDN'T YOU IMPORT THE JAPANESE BD'S OF YAMATO 2199? I bought all the 7 volumes, and they cost me around US $400. Yes, that is a lot of money for 26 episodes, but it was worth it because I love freaking show.

I'm sure Mike Toole loves Yamato 2199, and frankly speaking between spending 100 $ for the whole show and 400 $ the choice is obvious. Unless you're shitting greenbacks all day long. And for good measure, the Italian version of Yamato 2199 is as good as the Japanese one. So you're paying 300% more for nothing if not bragging rights by buying the Japanese one.

Well, not sure about angelmcazares or anyone else, but I paid 26,980y (around US$236) express-shipped for my complete Yamato-2199 BD boxset from amzn-jp back in january...

Twisted Evil

Too bad that the current japanese producers is giving us US-fans the big middle-finger by making Yamato-2202 subs-less. They just don't want my money, I guess...

Rolling Eyes
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

You do realize that those Japanese BD's I bought have English subtitles? I am not that stupid to spend $400 on raw discs. By the way, I don't think Mike say if his Italian discs have English subtitles. What is the point of saving $300 if the discs are not even subtitled in your language.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I also bought the Yamato 2199 Japanese BD-box early this year, and I'd like to thank Sam Pinansky for the excellent work he did on the English subtitles, and Mikio Gunji for commissioning them.

It's a shame that the Yamato 2202 BDs aren't subbed, though. I'll just have to collect some fansub scripts and sync them to the BDs, which I'll only buy when the eventual boxset comes out. That will take a few years, but I'm patient.

What bothers me even more is the lack of a Blu-ray release for the second classic Yamato TV series. I thought they'd finally get around to it now that the Comet Empire saga is being remade, but no dice. Hopefully there isn't anything wrong with the film masters.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:

What bothers me even more is the lack of a Blu-ray release for the second classic Yamato TV series. I thought they'd finally get around to it now that the Comet Empire saga is being remade, but no dice. Hopefully there isn't anything wrong with the film masters.

Well, Toei did that season, so... probably.

I'm totally confused as to what Voyager Entertainment is. I thought I'd read somewhere that Nishizaki himself created the company, hoping to distribute his shows in America all by himself. But I don't know where I saw that. If so, I don't understand how such an unprofitable enterprise stays in business. You'd think the Nishizaki family would close it down.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4