• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Voice Actor Jonah Scott Removed from Mr Love Queen's Choice Game Following Support of Taiw

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:31 am Reply with quote
If the Western moral compass says "genocide is bad" and the Chinese one doesn't, I'm completely comfortable saying that the Chinese compass is not a moral compass at all, and that the Chinese moral system is fundamentally evil. I don't actually believe that to be the case, but every time a Chinese stooge opens his mouth to make the point that this is about "cultural differences" or a lack of consideration of "Chinese feelings," that's the case being made, as it is when someone says "this is what you get when you offend Chinese people."

Chinese people aren't offended because someone said something insensitive in the Chinese moral system, except to the extent that the Chinese moral system requires absolute submission to the CCP's power. No one cares (morally) if some voice actor points out the obvious. Saying "Taiwan is a country" is a statement of challenge to Chinese power, and the nature of Chinese power is such that China must punish such a statement. It's not "imposing values" to observe that, and how it differs from just being offended because someone said something immoral. If your argument is that Chinese morality requires pretending to treat a CCP geopolitical goal as fait accompli, you're essentially arguing that there is no Chinese morality, just subservience. If China had, for some reason, one day earlier, recognized Taiwan as a separate country, it wouldn't have changed China's moral values one bit, but Scott wouldn't have been fired. That means it's not a reflection of Chinese morality.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:34 am Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
He has nothing to apologize for. The Republic of China is a country with legitimate claim to mainland China.

This isn't exactly what he said though as, in theory, the distinction between "Taiwan" and "The Republic of China" is one that matters to the PRC. However, I would genuinely like to see some public figure working with mainland Chinese organizations to openly state something to the effect of "The Republic of China, currently based on the island of Taiwan, is a state with a legitimate claim to the entirety of China [as well as Mongolia, Tuva and a few other territories controlled by neighboring countries that the "People's Republic of China" no longer officially claims]". Since this technically doesn't cross the "One China" red line, I'm curious about what other excuses they would come up to cut the partnership (or indeed if they would actually let it fly).

SilverTalon01 wrote:
Serious question because I don't follow other countries' stance on this issue, do any Western countries officially recognize Taiwan's independence? I have a feeling the answer is no.

Depends on whether Paraguay, Guatemala, Haiti and a few other Central American and Caribbean countries are Western enough for you, or if the Vatican is enough of a country for you.

Edit: should probably clarify that the counties I mentioned above specifically recognize the Republic of China as the sole legitimate Chinese state and technically don’t recognize the independence of Taiwan qua Taiwan. As far as I know, no country officially recognizes the independence of Taiwan from China - not even Taiwan itself, even though the current ruling party is ostensibly in favor of Taiwanese independence. Like everyone keeps saying, it’s complicated Wink
seika

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:59 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
See you're missing the part where they don't consider it an opinion. They consider Taiwan being part of China a fact, and they consider stating otherwise to be like spitting in their face. You say the opinion is fine as long as it is not destructive, but from China's point of view, it is absolutely destructive because those comments support the splintering of their state.

These comments do not "support of the splintering of their state", because their state has been splintered since the very beginning. There is nothing to splinter when it has already. The PRC does not have any actual sovereignty on Taiwan right now and they never once did since they came to power over the mainland. You know what other "facts" China believes from their point of view? Tiananmen never happened, and there is absolutely no cultural genocide in places like Tibet/Xinjiang/inner Mongolia etc. So excuse me, if people do not care when it comes to their feelings over whatever facts they are offended by.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:51 am Reply with quote
If you are going to work or invest in the Peoples Republic of China (PRC), then you should already know what you can say or not say. Whether you are right or wrong is irrelevant, China is still going to take out the garbage as they see it. It is quite foolish to get involved with China, if you know you can't keep you mouth shut and your fingers off the keyboard.

That said, China's claims for Taiwan are ludicrous now 70 years later. It would be like the United Kingdom wanting to claim the original 13 colonies back again. Not to mention that Taiwan has moved from a military dictatorship into a full democratic nation.

Personally, I think China has made a huge mistake with their treatment of the people of Hong Kong. How can any peaceful reunification happen now, when the democratic people of Taiwan can look across the strait at Hong Kong, and see their fate in real time.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:46 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
It is quite foolish to get involved with China, if you know you can't keep you mouth shut and your fingers off the keyboard

That seems to be very difficult for some people. 9 times out of 10 it seems like these people could avoid drama if they just didn't have a Twitter account or at the very bare minimum didn't talk about politics.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:57 am Reply with quote
No one in this thread has suggested that ANN NOT locking this thread already amounts to supporting Taiwan (or at least Jonah Scott) as well. I'm not suggesting that it be locked myself, I'm just pointing out how I've lived in China long enough. I must be too used to tiptoeing around in my online communication and realizing that lacking enough voiced approval of "Big Brother" could be interpreted as disapproval.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:

That seems to be very difficult for some people. 9 times out of 10 it seems like these people could avoid drama if they just didn't have a Twitter account or at the very bare minimum didn't talk about politics.

Except when you have a country that loves to do some shady shit you can’t not have an opinion or not talk politics especially when China gets involved in other country’s politics. Plus with China worming it’s way into foreign brands and entities this becomes impossible anyway.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Good on them for supporting them! I don't play this game but if I had I'd delete the app
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:13 pm Reply with quote
At least we know the answer of "How did people in the 1930s let things get as bad as they did?"
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Welp, now that we have Cencilia and soon Alice Closet in English, guess it's finally time for me to uninstall Love Nikki. Even though I never spent a dime on it.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Wow, how shallow and petty of them to tire someone over something so inconsequential. Confused
Honeyman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:19 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
Can we retire the thought that they're Communist though. They aren't. They are way to Capitalist for that.

They're Communist from the POV of ruling the population but very much capitalist in terms of how they do business and make money/profit.

The comment about the Chinese people being generally decent is on the money. I'm glad though that I live in a country where I could say that 'x is as country', put it on social media and not worry about my employer firing me at the end of the week. Its ludicrous to us because it is ludicrous behaviour (they didn't even care to correct Scott of they thought he was wrong,; they outright severed his role with them. Its all too common to see this severe attitude taken and rarely anything in-between and its quite sad).
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:36 pm Reply with quote
This article is but an extreme closeup of the tip of the iceberg. It might seem unrelated, but let me point to this link:

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/1400119136198397953

There are three imprecisions:

1) Russia is irrelevant in this context, but China is wholly to blame.
2) No, we are not talking about mere pennies, nor this is limited to disney.
3) This is not limited to gays at all.

So yeah, the thought police has arrived to your shores and they will continue to test the limits of their carrot on a stick scheme, one day the USA might wake up to a reality where their major media companies have become propaganda outlets for the chinese communist party and will ask "when did this happened?"
yeehaw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Honeyman wrote:
bleachj0j wrote:
Can we retire the thought that they're Communist though. They aren't. They are way to Capitalist for that.

They're Communist from the POV of ruling the population but very much capitalist in terms of how they do business and make money/profit.

The specific term is 'State Capitalism'
Haterater

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:57 pm Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
Good for them standing up for human rights. I wish all 3 good luck in the future.

Same here. Really appreciate what they did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4