• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Anime Titles Now Listed Under Crunchyroll for Home Video in June

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I get it's a shock but I don't get fans being super upset about a logo after anime fans trashed Funimation for years because of their dubs and just the other day people on ANN were complaining about Funimation's supposedly sinister "pro-censorship" policies and dub line changes and how this was going to ruin Crunchyroll now.

I'm sure that was the vocal minority. Most people don't really GAF about whatever Twitter discourse was going on. They just want to watch stuff.
09jcg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I get it's a shock but I don't get fans being super upset about a logo after anime fans trashed Funimation for years because of their dubs and just the other day people on ANN were complaining about Funimation's supposedly sinister "pro-censorship" policies and dub line changes and how this was going to ruin Crunchyroll now.

I'm sure that was the vocal minority. Most people don't really GAF about whatever Twitter discourse was going on. They just want to watch stuff.
I actually have more censorship concerns with Crunchyroll. At least Funimation aired the uncensored Blu Rasy cuts once they were released. Its very hit or miss with crunchy, and apparently some shows have not made the transition from Funi to Crunchy in their uncut version
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:54 pm Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I actually have more censorship concerns with Crunchyroll. At least Funimation aired the uncensored Blu Rasy cuts once they were released. Its very hit or miss with crunchy, and apparently some shows have not made the transition from Funi to Crunchy in their uncut version

Same. I really looked forward to the “switch over” from the simulcast to uncut Blu-ray on the Funimation website…. Also another who will be sad to see the Funimation brand go away for Crunchyroll.
notcurlybrace

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:46 pm Reply with quote
wing-zero-strike wrote:
This is actually kind of sad. I was kinda hoping Funimation would live on with physical discs.

For all their ups and downs over the years, Funimation is a brand I grew up with my whole life. I understand a lot has changed with the company and the industry, but still, very sad to see it go.

this. i'm younger, but funimation was one of the first "trusted" names i knew in anime, way back when i was getting into anime and watching their Ouran uploads on YouTube and Negima on Comcast's On Demand. i still remember being excited when they announced they were licensing Sgt. Frog, that was my first subbed anime experience, so it was cool to see it getting official recognition. everything's gotta go eventually of course, and yeah they've definitely had some issues in the past, but it's just kinda surreal ya know
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't expecting it to happen so soon, and for the slate to be so small. Sentai and Discotek will both have more titles as they usually release around 6 per month. I hope this isn't a sign we're going to see more titles remain streaming-only. Despite my many issues with the company over the past 8 years or so, it's quite sad to see the name disappear. This hits almost as hard as when it was announced 10 years ago that Bandai Entertainment was shutting down. FUNimation was synonymous with my early fandom (got into anime in November 2008). I especially miss when there was the colored logo (I hated the current logo since it was revealed 6 years ago) that has a bit of a resemblance to the Texas flag, and the slogan was "You should be watching.".

Something of note, the UPC prefix is the same as before (704400), but the SKU system has changed. You have CR-[item] like on the releases FUNimation distributed for Crunchyroll, FG-[item], and then FN-[item] on One Piece, presumably for consistency.
invalidname wrote:
So it appears that the final home video releases with a Funimation logo will be May's slate of Kemono Jihen, Super Cub, and Kageki Shojo!! (according to @LandOfObscusion), and possibly the LE set of Wonder Egg Priority (according to @KeikakuKat).
The final LE set with the FUNimation logo will actually be Full Dive.
animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/releases.php?yearmonth=2022-05&format=video
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:55 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
So it appears that the final home video releases with a Funimation logo will be May's slate of Kemono Jihen, Super Cub, and Kageki Shojo!! (according to @LandOfObscusion), and possibly the LE set of Wonder Egg Priority (according to @KeikakuKat).
Not sure why everyone is worried about the logo. It is there on the markup in the article, right above the Crunchy logo.

I for one hope they bring some of their coders over to Crunchy while they are at it. All the 33% crashes remind me why I'd just as soon buy the disc and be done with streaming anything.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:15 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Not sure why everyone is worried about the logo. It is there on the markup in the article, right above the Crunchy logo.
The full-size image does NOT show the FUNimation logo, it's gone.
https://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire3/d969a23461f535fea8ac6703d50120381647359209_main.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:07 am Reply with quote
I really can't understand getting upset over the loss of a particular retail branding for imported video content. The Crunchyroll label doesn't mean much either, that company's changed hands more times than I can count; and Sony itself is a megacorp that owns many other brands, just like how the seemingly-diverse food brands in the US are all shells owned by like 6 or 7 companies. Don't fall into the trap of humanizing inanimate nodes in the global cash-flow network.

Side note, is it really necessary to autocorrect the word "cool" when it starts with a "k?" I was trying to be self-deprecating, jeez.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:25 am Reply with quote
We know dubbing in Texas is fundamentally not going to change; and really why would it when the last I checked, they had ten(10!) recording studios in Dallas named A, B, C, all the way through J. My ultimate question, which we probably know the sad answer to, is what happens to the TX jobs that weren't centered on dubbing; things like legal, licensing and acquisitions, and most pertinent to this thread, home video.

FUNimation has had first look at virtually all properties it ever wanted for many years. Crunchyroll being heavily in business with Kadokawa, and Aniplex wanting its own stake in R1, were the only real snags to them. But if Crunchyroll has an acquisitions team, will there be a merger of people or layoffs? And then, the biggest question of all: Whose job is it to pester to Toei and get the license for the One Piece films before Strong World? AFAIK, the public has never gotten a straight answer on why these were never secured, and my only guess was that it simply wasn't on their radar with bigger shows, and bigger One Piece films directly tied to Eiichiro Oda's involvement, to release. But now that Sony practically owns anime, they have nothing but the luxury of time and the cash inlfux of a huge parent company to get whatever they want; I suppose people just have to remind them that people want those movies.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:40 am Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
And then, the biggest question of all: Whose job is it to pester to Toei and get the license for the One Piece films before Strong World? AFAIK, the public has never gotten a straight answer on why these were never secured, and my only guess was that it simply wasn't on their radar with bigger shows, and bigger One Piece films directly tied to Eiichiro Oda's involvement, to release. But now that Sony practically owns anime, they have nothing but the luxury of time and the cash inlfux of a huge parent company to get whatever they want; I suppose people just have to remind them that people want those movies.

Toei may be more directly involved with One Piece nowadays because ever since they got to working on episodes 575 onwards in 2019, FUNi has changed how they handle the English credits for that show and has also started crediting the guys from Toei's US branch the same way they did for Dragon Ball Super's dub. There's also the dub & subs having co-funding from the J-LOD starting from around that point in the series, that was never a thing before and usually happens when a Japanese company is more involved.

There's also the subtitled-only screenings & digital releases of Episode of Chopper & Mugiwara Chase which Toei themselves were seemingly more involved with rather than FUNi (though they did promote the latter online probably due to Strong World, they weren't credited as part of the screenings).
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
We know dubbing in Texas is fundamentally not going to change; and really why would it when the last I checked, they had ten(10!) recording studios in Dallas named A, B, C, all the way through J. My ultimate question, which we probably know the sad answer to, is what happens to the TX jobs that weren't centered on dubbing; things like legal, licensing and acquisitions, and most pertinent to this thread, home video.

FUNimation has had first look at virtually all properties it ever wanted for many years. Crunchyroll being heavily in business with Kadokawa, and Aniplex wanting its own stake in R1, were the only real snags to them. But if Crunchyroll has an acquisitions team, will there be a merger of people or layoffs?

While I do think the first three groups you mentioned are likely going to be laid off, I think the home video side of things will be spared. Crunchyroll probably knows that Funimation already has a handle on those things, and because this is a merger they likely won't have to be bothered for funding or revenue stream. Dubbing is kind of similar since Funimation having its own studios as opposed to Crunchyroll means they can feed off of that (and since dub actors are so popular it would be a PR disaster if they were to dismantle the whole DFW dub scene), but I do wonder if this means that Crunchyroll's occasional hiring of California companies like Bang Zoom is now a thing of the past since this basically cut out the middle man (they won't be hurting though, their main business has been video games in recent years anyways, a luxury Texas practically does not have with a few exceptions).

As for licensing and acquisitions, that does make me wonder if some of their clients will sever their contract. Honestly... I don't think so. For starters, your One Piece worries shouldn't be too bad; One Piece has been streaming for a while on Crunchyroll so they are likely in Toei's good graces. And beyond that, I think the majority of anime companies likely know, with Funimation gone, Crunchyroll is their best bet for their anime to receive maximum exposure. This of course brings up the monopolization criticism, and while I agree with that, I also think that it will mean that larger streaming sites like Netflix may receive a greater deal of licenses from studios looking to, for lack of a better expression, "play with the big boys".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3