• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-06-15]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:16 am Reply with quote
Ichigo77 wrote:
I always imagined Zac to be asian for some reason lol.

Quoted for the funniest comment today. Laughing

"Bertschy" is not an Asian family name, and most of his points of view are very typically American.

If I remember correctly, this is not the first time we see Zac's picture on ANN, but now I can't find that old one. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:23 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Ichigo77 wrote:
I always imagined Zac to be asian for some reason lol.

Quoted for the funniest comment today. Laughing

"Bertschy" is not an Asian family name, and most of his points of view are very typically American.

If I remember correctly, this is not the first time we see Zac's picture on ANN, but now I can't find that old one. Rolling Eyes

I look pretty terrible depending on the photo. An ex of mine read the column and said I should've posted this one:

This is an obvious camwhore shot but it is more recent.

I should note nobody's ever seen an image of you, Dormcat.

I encourage anyone who wants to post their photo in this thread to do so
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:32 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I look pretty terrible depending on the photo.

Not at all. I'd say your style is quite popular here.

Zac wrote:

In fact, a few forum users have. Wink

The group picture I remembered that included you was from one of those smaller cons (not AX or Otakon), with Chris, Bamboo, Mikhail and you sitting around an L-shaped conference table like this:

It was a picture taken by a standing person who is on the same ground that you sit your chairs on (so very different from those taken at AX last year, where you guys were on a raised stage). Unfortunately, I dig through all con reports but still didn't find it. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:35 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Zac wrote:

In fact, a few forum users have. Wink

Well, we haven't. Let's see it man!
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:51 am Reply with quote
I agree that having children to play role of children sound more pleasent. The dub for fullmetal alchemist was pretty good. I absolutely hate it when children are voiced by middle age adult female. They sound so fake in shows like Read or Die and Planetes.

Edited for dormcat =P

Last edited by darkhunter on Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:34 am; edited 1 time in total
shenlongmizuno

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:08 am Reply with quote
I have yet to find an entertaining anime podcast, AWO is certainly the most knowledgeable but from what I remember they seemed to be the cynical old-school types who seemed to hate on anything new. GeekNights was the most listenable and entertaining one I found but they didn't seem to know any more about anime then I did. Weekly Anime Review isn't bad for newer anime fans I suppose.. Otaku Generation is too damn long and is far less funny then the hosts seem to think they are. Does anyone know of any other anime podcasts worth checking out?
JKNGP
Company Representative

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:12 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:

I agree that having children to play role of children sound more pleasent. The dub for fullmetal alchemist was pretty good. I absolutely hate it when children are voiced by middle age adult female. They sound so fake in shows like Read or Die and Planetes.

Confused I don't remember any kids in Read or Die, but all the young roles in R.O.D the TV were acted by young actors, including the 3 young leads Anita, Hisami & Junior and all of their classmates.

Zac from Answerman Column wrote:

and New Generation Pictures goes out of their way to cast actual child actors for the appropriate roles in their dubs.

Guess who made the dub for R.O.D the TV?

BTW: Did you also find most of the British accents in Hellsing to sound fake? Wink

Regards,

Jonathan Klein
Vice President
New Generation Pictures, Inc.

(Edit because I'm a tired old man).

Last edited by JKNGP on Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:30 am; edited 1 time in total
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:15 am Reply with quote
JKNGP wrote:
darkhunter wrote:

Confused I don't remember any kids in Read or Die, but all the young roles in R.O.D the TV were acted by young actors, including the 3 young leads Anita, Hisami & Junior and all of their classmates.

Oh, I was talking about the ROD TV series, not the original OVA. I remember watching it on TV (G4?), I forgot what episode. I didn't bother to watch the rest, since the voice acting of that one part was so bad, and I generally prefer dub over sub.

Also Jon, your signature tag said New "Genertation" Pictures, Very Happy

Last edited by darkhunter on Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:44 am; edited 2 times in total
JKNGP
Company Representative

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:19 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
JKNGP wrote:
darkhunter wrote:

Oh, I was talking about the ROD TV series, not the original OVA. I remember watching it on TV (G4?) but I clinch about the voice of the one kid, forgot what episode. I didn't bother to watch the rest, since it was so bad.

I'm glad you hated our work. Smile Always nice to hear a dissenting point of view. Just don't make assumptions that the child voices are fake simply because you didn't like the voice.

Thanks for listening.

Regards,

JK
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:19 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Here's a pic of dormcat

Huh?! Shocked Who the heck is that guy? Personally, I don't think this type of joke is funny at all. Rolling Eyes

Those who had been reading my old blog should already know how my body below my neck looks like. Now here's the original picture (with my friends cropped out):

Here is another picture taken half a year earlier than the one above, with Halko Momoi's signature. The checkerboard shirt made a few middle schooler girls calling me "Densha Otoko." Anime dazed

Boy, I've got lots of wrinkles on my face!

The picture above made PantsGoblin drolling all over the place though. Twisted Evil
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:23 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
darkhunter wrote:
Here's a pic of dormcat

Huh?! Shocked Who the heck is that guy? Personally, I don't think this type of joke is funny at all. Rolling Eyes

LOl come on dormcat, you got no sense of humor. I always thought you were a young taiwanese guy.

JKNGP wrote:

I'm glad you hated our work. Smile Always nice to hear a dissenting point of view. Just don't make assumptions that the child voices are fake simply because you didn't like the voice.

JK

Well I don't hate your work since hate is such a strong word, I just didn't like the kids voice in that particular scene. Just doesn't sound natural to me. Very Happy I like your work on Paranoia Agent and Ergo Proxy.

Last edited by darkhunter on Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:57 am; edited 4 times in total
JKNGP
Company Representative

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:28 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:

Also Jon, your signature tag said New Genertation Pictures, Very Happy

Really?

Who would have thunk it.

I mean with a signature tag like that somebody might think I'm a studio representative or something. Wink

Regards,

JK
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:30 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
LOl come on dormcat, you got no sense of humor. I always thought you were a young taiwanese guy.

Judging from the website where you acquired the picture, I don't think that guy is Taiwanese at all. Rolling Eyes

You really need to learn more about East Asian geopolitics.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:39 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
darkhunter wrote:

Judging from the website where you acquired the picture, I don't think that guy is Taiwanese at all. Rolling Eyes

You really need to learn more about East Asian geopolitics.

WEll that's Jay Chou and I think he's the most famous Taiwanese guy that I know. And it was meant as a compliment. Oh well.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:42 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
WEll that's Jay Chou and I think he's the most famous Taiwanese guy that I know. And it was meant as a compliment. Oh well.

That's him?! I couldn't tell due to his hand gesture covering much of his face. Guess I really suck at celebrity identification.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 27