• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mushishi (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Master_M2K

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:15 am Reply with quote
I've just finished watching all of the Mushi-shi anime and it is pretty amazing even though there are few episodes which could have been better with some action but overall a great anime achievement. My fave episodes were:
Episode 11 - The Mountain Sleeps
Episode 12 - One-Eyed Fish
Episode 20 - The Sea of Brushes
Episode 21 - The Cotton Spore
Well I would go into detail about how what I thought about the series but that would take forever but I made a review on this site where I'm also in charge of the guide LINK. Anime smile
consilience

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:53 am Reply with quote
The tone of this series struck me as very "traditionally Japanese."

I think it was a combination of the mountains, fantasy, music, quietude. Reminded me of a Akira Kurosawa film.

It was a refreshing breather from most of the fast-paced action series today, which usually are modern/urban.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:56 am Reply with quote
Master_M2K wrote:
Well I would go into detail about how what I thought about the series but that would take forever but I made a review on this site where I'm also in charge of the guide LINK. Anime smile

Actually, I'm trying not to get too ahead in this thread and am strictly covering the DVD releases for North America at the moment (so everyone can go at the same pace). But thanks for your contribution anyway Anime catgrin.
Master_M2K

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Actually, I'm trying not to get too ahead in this thread and am strictly covering the DVD releases for North America at the moment (so everyone can go at the same pace). But thanks for your contribution anyway Anime catgrin.

Oh I see well how does the American version cope with the cutural refences and are there any extreme translation changes so far?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:54 pm Reply with quote
As other people have said in this thread, the translation is good. Sometimes words are changed around, but that is mostly to keep the flow of things going. Like lip flaps. The meaning and intent of the words remain relatively the same. So the translation is good.

The cultural references remain good as well. I don't really see a way around those to begin with. I think Funi knew that going into it. Course someone else might have a better answer for that one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CardcaptorWatanuki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Ahhhhhh,Mushishi.
I first discovered this anime in an issue of Newtype magazine that was released early a year or two again.I was immediately interested in it.So I decided to give it a try when i found out it was available to watch online.It was love. Very Happy
By now I've watched every episode and even though I haven't read all the posts [because they're real long and it's like almost one in the morn and I'm just plain lazy] I can tell you now,that it really is a great anime.It leaves you thinking after every episode.And it's not all that difficult to understand either.You understand the more you watch!
It's one of those animes where there isn't really a plot but small problems in every episode but it's really great,the art and the colors too.The greens are really mesmerizing.And Ginko ain't half bad either. *gigglesnort*

I'm really looking forward to the release of the starter set though.I found out they were releasing afte I finished the anime so I was super happy.And seeing the pictures of the starter set and the booklet--wow,it looks really good.So I can't wait for it.Also seems the english dub isn't half bad either. =D
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I just want to say thanks to Tony K. (and the rest of you) for calling my attention to this absolutely gorgeous series. I hadn't heard anything about this series, but it was Tony K.'s enthusiasm that made me buy the manga and then the first disc (w/ artbox!). I love this series so far, and think it's one of the most beautiful anime I've ever seen.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:20 am Reply with quote
I just finished mushishi tonight but since Tony is keeping with American releases I'll cut any episode comments off to not go ahead of the volumes.

First, I've hardly ever seen animation so beautiful. But even still on a series, NOT a movie, and one with I would think such niche appeal...it was amazing. It was worth every penny. The music was right up there and together they kept the ambience and mystery going.

I think I watched almost every episode at night getting the house as quiet as I could with all the lights off. This truly was a fairy tale of sorts and I wanted to really capture that feeling. No video games, no work or cleaning or any other nonsense to deal with. It really is hard to describe the feeling...I was just...pulled away.

After the first episode, the almost horror in episodes 2 & 4 were shocking. First, the whole eye thing in episode two...was not expecting that. Kind of grossed me out actually. And in episode 4, I guessed what was actually happening in his "prophetic dreams" just barely before he did, empathized and felt a little sick. The story telling was almost too strong here with the amazing animation being put to use to...mold people away.

I'm always hesitant to watch something like this. I'm wondering if the slower pace will be worth it and if I'll get bored. I try to never be shallow but I am just human, I can't be interested in everything. A good shounen series can evoke emotions while still having action and all but even forgetting so much of Mushishi after having watched it(not like I can remember 22x26 minutes), something of this caliber will STAY with you if you truly enjoyed it. I can't help but feel a strong connection with this and the want to...I don't know, change my life. Enjoy nature, ease my anger, take it slower, etc. It's just unfortunate I'm too lazy it seems =P
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Despite how long I’ve been waiting to watch this series due to so many people comparing to my favorite series, Kino’s Journey, it took me awhile to get around to the first episode.
Nekochi wrote:
Also, I agree with the comparison of Mushishi to Kino no Tabi (Kino's Journey.) Kino no Tabi is my favorite anime ever. (I'm rather obsessed with it... ^-^;; ) However they are different in several ways. First of all, Kino explores the brutality of the human spirit and the way humans treat each other. Not only does it look at the evil that can often be found in human behavior, but it looks at the beauty. The beauty of people and this world which can be found in it's imperfections.
I was a little disappointed to learn that the similarities are mostly in form rather than content. If this show, as Tony says, is focused on fairytales as opposed to Nekochi’s accurate description of Kino’s content, I’m not going to be as in love with the series as I thought. However, if I can still relate the fairytales to something relevant, it won’t be a problem, which leads me to my interpretation of the first episode.

It is a child who has this magical ability to create life, and it is a child who is given the choice to assume the properties of the Mushi. The grandmother is then split in two at this point with the Mushi half not aging.
Tony K. wrote:
I guess if I had to summarize its appeal, I would say it's a great way of representing that "unbelievable" side of reality that we don't really admit to existing...
The Mushi and the child's powers to bring inanimate things to life would then represent that sense of wonderment that children, and few adults, possess. Ginko, with his slight mischievous behavior, like stealing the sake cup at the end, and his overwhelming curiosity would be one of those adults. The grandmother that continued on aging could not see the Mushi anymore and wouldn’t accept even the possibility of their existence; like most adults, she stopped believing. After learning about what happened to his grandmother, Shinra is greatly saddened. The disappearance of the rumors at the end may be due to his loss of those powers due to this realization of what his grandmother went through, which then represents his loss of wonderment. This would then be an excellent introduction to the series, if in fact the focus is on fairytales, as most of the audience is not going to actually believe such things, but it will remind them of when they were young and capable of such flights of fancy.

My interpretation is subject to further episodes obviously.

Last edited by varmintx on Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:38 am; edited 1 time in total
nightmaregenie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:43 am Reply with quote
Yes, Mushishi is really different from any of the standard affairs offered by the market. I've only watched the first few episodes but I'm really impressed with all the incredibly detailed and lush landscapes shown...such a feast for the eyes! And the script differs somewhat from the norm as well. It doesn't clutter your time with meaningless babble from its characters. Rather it relies on the clever use of silence and cinematography in order to create dramatic, personal and poetic moments - a classic case of the less said, the better.

However, I did have some problems with the show and I hope you guys, who are far more enthusiastic about the show and are far more ahead with the viewing, could enlighten me.

What absolutely confounds me about this show is its biological rationale. I've had no problems understanding the basic story behind each episode but I do feel that the explanations given by Ginko regarding the mushi are just not very realistically satisfying. Mushishi approaches it's imaginary creatures with a blend of fantastical/scientific logic but at times it just doesn't work vey well.

The mushi are portrayed in the show as something akin to the most basal units of life. According to Ginko they are more primeval than even bacteria and other microbes and are closer to being the very essence of life rather than living organisms. I got that part no problem but if you accept that definition there's really a lot of things that doesn't make sense later on.

Take episode 1 for example. Can a basal unit of life even think in the first place, as in having a working conscience capable of making plans and interacting with humans? The mushi's ability to take on human form and communicate with humans I can accept as part of the mystical element of the story, although technically speaking something simpler than a bacterium has less than 0 probability of doing so. What I don't get is the mushi's MOTIVE. So why exactly would the mushi want to protect Shinra through his grandmother? What do they hope to gain from it? Nothing in nature happens without a purpose. That purpose is never explained by Ginko. Then there's the matter with the protecting part of the story. Can't the mushi do it themselves? If they don't have the ability to do so then what makes them think Shinra's grandma will be able to as a mushi?

Moving on to episode 2...I have no major queries with it except, again, something more basic than bacteria shouldn't display complex biological behaviour such as laying eggs.

As for episode 3, there's a logic loophole that's not exactly related to what's mentioned above. If I recall correctly there're 2 types of the snail things - the ah and the un (forgive me if I misspell.) One of them (un?) apparently moved into the village to consume its noises because IT'S TOO QUIET IN THE FOREST and the other (ah?) moved in to consume the silence left behind in the village. But then if it's too quiet in the forest to start with, why would the ah not just stay in the forest and wallow in silence to their hearts' content? If the ah is a parasite of the un this still doesn't make sense as the ah found in the little boy's ear is in no way close to any uns in the village.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wong about any of my assumptions 'cause I've only watch these episodes once. But I do need some answers 'cause, well, I'm the type of freak that just won't rest until she understands everything, even if it's anime. Smile
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 02: Eyelids' Light

Summary: A boy named Biki has been helping to take care of a girl, Sui, who contracted an illness that made her eyes very sensitive to light. She spends her days living in their empty storage house, with Biki being the only source of human contact she has left. Fearful for her son's health, Biki's mother warns him not to spend too much time with Sui, in case the condition is contagious.

Meanwhile, Sui mentions closing a "second pair of eyelids," how it allows her to see the Koumyaku (River of Light) and how there's a mysterious man with one eye on the other side of it warning her not to get too close or stare at the light for so long. Eventually, that man (Ginko, of course) would come to visit her, only to find that Biki would later become infected as well.

After finding out of Biki's condition, Sui would become saddened, causing her to look into the Koumyaku beyond her limits and ultimately killing her eyes. It figures the cause of the illness in the first place was a mushi called Manako no Yami ("Darkness of the Eye"). And, in fact, keeping oneself in the dark only made things worse. But while Sui's eyes may have been lost, there was still a chance to, at least, get rid of the mushi and possibly try something else..
----------------------------------

Comments: I thought this episode did a great job of establishing that mushi in general are a kind of natural presence within the world. In this particular case, it highlighted one of the flip-sides of their existence by interacting with people and very obviously interfering with their lives (I'd say "forced blindness" and "eye-eating" would be considered cumbersome, to say the least >_>). With that said, the episode also featured some themes about the sadness of solitude and the strength of companionship.

I can't imagine how it would feel having to live in a dark and empty storage house, closed up from the rest of the world, unable to look at well.. pretty much anything aside from the Koumyaku, and even *that* can't be looked at too long. Plus, add that to the fact that you're pretty much blind and life would seem pretty dreary and boring, wouldn't it? On the bright side, with Sui being only a young girl, I suppose the inherent cheeriness of being a child would make things seem less serious than they are.

Thankfully, though, Biki was there for her. I know it may sound a little cliché, but having a friend whom you can depend on can be a real game-changer in your outlook on life, sometimes. Without him, I don't think Sui would've been as chipper for as long as she seemed to have been. Of course, that changed when she found out Biki had caught her illness, which then led her down a path of self-destruction via looking into the Koumyaku for too long, thus, causing her eyes to be completely devoured by the mushi.

Then again, thanks to a guy like Ginko, the situation was salvaged when it could've turned out much worse than it did. Biki's vision was saved before the illness became too strong, and Sui gained her vision back, even if it was just for one eye. In a sense, I guess it sort of dictates to "take what life gives you, and just go with it from there." Again, pointing out a "natural order" of things.

A special note on artwork/animation. Essentially, it's the same high-grade effort as the first episode, but we get a dose of their CG capabilities during the scene of Ginko capturing the mushi in Sui's eyes. The first time I saw this in the fansubs, I was amazed at the grotesquely bizarre, yet wonderfully animated sequence. Not really having a grasp on the concept of different mushi forms, I was expecting either a solid or gaseous state, but was surprised by a liquid one. Also of special mention is the continued excellence in camera work. The art and camera people have a good sense of angles and that sort of thing for achieving just the right feel for lots of these situations.
----------------------------------

Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:04 am; edited 3 times in total
ElementSun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I just love how this anime notices the subtle details in life and brings it into realization, such as:

Still being able to see even though your eyes are closed.
The sound you hear when you put your hands over your ears.
The pillow being a vault for the human soul.

Although I've only watched up to episode 4, this by far the most profound thought provoking series I have ever witnessed.

What is the ending song called? It seems to bring me to the brink of tears everytime I hear it.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:33 am Reply with quote
ElementSun wrote:
What is the ending song called? It seems to bring me to the brink of tears everytime I hear it.

Each ending is a different piece of instrumental music every time. You'd have to specify which episode. Or, you could just listen to the whole soundtrack, since most of it is either used in the show itself and as the ending at some point Razz.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:21 am Reply with quote
nightmaregenie wrote:
Feel free to correct me if I'm wong about any of my assumptions 'cause I've only watch these episodes once. But I do need some answers 'cause, well, I'm the type of freak that just won't rest until she understands everything, even if it's anime. Smile

I hate to say it, but I don't think you are going to get any satisfactory answers to these questions. I think this is a series that just doesn't concern itself about potential logical inconsistencies like the ones you have posed, but rather strives to maintain a certain feel and an air of mystery. I think one of the ideas of the mushi is that it's not really possible to understand them. While they are physical beings they are also mystical creatures that are not necessarily bound by the same rules we are.

I think the bottom line is that you are going to have to crank up your willing suspension of disbelief a bit higher for this series or you may simply end up not enjoying it. As Tony said in his opening post, this series isn't going to be for everyone and no matter how enthusiastic some of us are in our praise, not everybody is looking for something of this nature. You may still find things to enjoy about it, though, and it will certainly be interesting to hear your take on things if you decide to continue with it. Very Happy

I'm so glad I finally found time to sit down and really devour this thread. It's only 3 pages at this point, but I took almost an hour to read it all. Now that I have had a chance to see the first disc and to read the thread, my head is swimming a bit with all the things I want to comment on. So many interesting comments have been made and I have thouroughly enjoyed what everyone has said. But, it's after 1 am and I have to be coherent at work tomorrow so I'll have to wait to inflict my opinions on all of you. Anime hyper
Alestal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:27 am Reply with quote
the artwork looks pretty, but in the whole it doesn't seem to have much appeal to me... can someone give me some information on what makes the main character so interesting? it may have been hidden somewhere in the first post somewhere, but it was just too long for me to read all of it, so can i please just have a nice short condenced answer?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9