• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids' Losses Mount in Second Quarter

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:13 pm Reply with quote
The only thing 4Kids ever did that I'd unabashedly call "good" is the original Pokemon dub, and now that they don't have that going for them. I'd feel more sorry for them if I hadn't seen what they did to One Piece, but it's still kind of pathetic what they've become.

(Though I suppose providing endless comedic fodder for the Abridged Series is a good thing too, even if it was unintentional...)
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I love how none of you mention Toei's involvement in the editing, and localization of a certain show about Pirates. Toei is as much at fault, as is 4Kids.

GeneralArrow wrote:
DOWN WITH 4KIDS Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad! They ruined one piece and even shows like SM had some big plot changes. Thanks funimation for bringing back one piece! Sorry just had to rant.

If by SM, you mean Sailormoon then that wasn't 4Kids, that was DiC, who later got funding for the dub by Nelvana, before Toei felt like pulling the plug. Which hurt because ADV was releasing the show Uncut. The same situation happened for Saint Seiya/Knights Of The Zodiac, where DiC created the TV dub, but ADV was releasing it Uncut, but again, Toei had to pull the show back.

Back to 4Kids, I really want to see how Kamen Rider faires on their CW4Kids block, the same goes for Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds, but I don't have a CW affilate.

@Buster Blader, reason why those shows had decent dubs were because the Transformers shows were co-productions with Takara, and Beyblade was handled by Nelvana.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
I love how none of you mention Toei's involvement in the editing, and localization of a certain show about Pirates. Toei is as much at fault, as is 4Kids.
-stares- I didn't know Toei had involvement in it. I just thought it was 4Kids.

-feels dumb now- >.<
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Primus wrote:

-feels dumb now- >.<

Don't beat yourself up about it. I didn't know either until about 6 months ago.

But I'll need pics, interviews, articles galore before you have me believe Oda was happy with this. I do know he helped with the Funimation dub, so at least the new definitive version has his stamp of approval! Smile
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
Daimao Raki wrote:
They need to stop relying on card games, even though they have been big money makers in the past. Although I wouldn't be suprised if 4Kids went under in the next few years. Would be nice to see Viz get most of their licenses.

Couldn't've said it better myself, hon. Viz or FUNi could really breathe new life into some childhood favorites, which I think would bring a smile to any new or veteran fan's face.

Don't get me wrong, now. Even with the problems folks've had with 4Kids, and I understand and even agree with for the most part, I still found certain dubs, like Shaman King's, to be fairly well done and, at times, a very funny and enjoyable experience. I can recall a set of lines from one ep. wherein Horohoro (dubbed Trey, yes, that was one of the more ridiculous ones) made a sarcastic remark to the effect of, "Ooh. Mamy and Daddy are fighting again!" when referring to two of his friends. That genuinely made me laugh and I still smile when remembering today.

But as I aforementioned, as much as I cherished their shows as a kid and still do nostalgically (yes, I'll still defend them from that standpoint, at least), I'd feel phenomenally better if their titles, such as Shaman King, Cardcaptor Sakura, Tokyo Mew Mew etc. were "rescued" so to speak by another North American anime company and given the re-start that FUNi has so graciously given One Piece. That would make me overjoyed. Anime catgrin A company like that has really shown us, I believe, how much they respect the material they're handling, whether that be in regards to the cultural references, char. nuances, or overall storyline, and sadly that is something that sadly, time and time again, 4Kids-- even as far back as they were called the FoxBox-- has shown that they won't or can't do.

correction, nelvana was responsible for the attrocity that was cardcaptors. As much as many would like to blame 4kids for all the hack jobs done to anime series it should be noted they weren't the only butchers in town.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:23 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Primus wrote:

-feels dumb now- >.<

Don't beat yourself up about it. I didn't know either until about 6 months ago.

But I'll need pics, interviews, articles galore before you have me believe Oda was happy with this. I do know he helped with the Funimation dub, so at least the new definitive version has his stamp of approval! Smile

Wow, I didn't know Toei was involved until just now. Initally, I was tempeted to buy the uncut season one part just to hear how the Funimation made One Piece better and to see how the series is uncut.

Luckily, Netflix has the movie in stock, so I am able to at least listen to the new voices. Though I still might buy the season one, part one though. Since the dvd is uncut and unedited.
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

GeneralArrow wrote:
DOWN WITH 4KIDS Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad! They ruined one piece and even shows like SM had some big plot changes. Thanks funimation for bringing back one piece! Sorry just had to rant.

If by SM, you mean Sailormoon then that wasn't 4Kids, that was DiC, who later got funding for the dub by Nelvana, before Toei felt like pulling the plug. Which hurt because ADV was releasing the show Uncut. The same situation happened for Saint Seiya/Knights Of The Zodiac, where DiC created the TV dub, but ADV was releasing it Uncut, but again, Toei had to pull the show back.

Back to 4Kids, I really want to see how Kamen Rider faires on their CW4Kids block, the same goes for Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds, but I don't have a CW affilate.

@Buster Blader, reason why those shows had decent dubs were because the Transformers shows were co-productions with Takara, and Beyblade was handled by Nelvana.

Thanks for the info wasn't really aware of that.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:47 pm Reply with quote
The difference with Nelvana is that the only series they licensed (and not co-produced, as is the case with Bakugan, and Pandalian) that hasn't got an Uncut release is Medabots. Card Captors was released Uncut by Geneon, these discs are long out of print, the episodes of Sailormoon they paid for were the first to be released Uncut by Geneon, these are out of print, and Beyblade G-Revolution had a short-lived Uncut release with FUNimation, but sadly FUNimation stopped releasing the series after 6 volumes, containing 18 episodes(which 6 of those were released in Japanese/English), and a seventh volume was solicited to be Uncut, but never released to my knowledge. Bakugan still has time, but Nelvana is definately different then 4kids.

With Toei, they had control over a lot of things, the name changes were mostly Toei's doing. But think about this for a second, FUNimation told us at Otakon that they are not responsible for TV deals for One Piece, but rather, Toei is. Toei is incredibly involved.
tidusora

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Since their loss of Pokemon to Pokemon USA and the slow destruction of the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise since GX happened, 4Kids has been going down in business.

I think in 2-years time, we will see whether 4Kids flops or gets a winner with Chaotic.

From what I've seen, it looks like a horrible franchise, with not as much advertising as Yu-Gi-Oh! or Pokemon had. The advertising I've seen however, was horribly produced and doesn't seem to excite anybody.

From my perspective, 4Kids is in a pickle. I'm pretty sure their downfall is imminent.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
The difference with Nelvana is that the only series they licensed (and not co-produced, as is the case with Bakugan, and Pandalian) that hasn't got an Uncut release is Medabots. Card Captors was released Uncut by Geneon, these discs are long out of print, the episodes of Sailormoon they paid for were the first to be released Uncut by Geneon, these are out of print, and Beyblade G-Revolution had a short-lived Uncut release with FUNimation, but sadly FUNimation stopped releasing the series after 6 volumes, containing 18 episodes(which 6 of those were released in Japanese/English), and a seventh volume was solicited to be Uncut, but never released to my knowledge. Bakugan still has time, but Nelvana is definately different then 4kids.

With Toei, they had control over a lot of things, the name changes were mostly Toei's doing. But think about this for a second, FUNimation told us at Otakon that they are not responsible for TV deals for One Piece, but rather, Toei is. Toei is incredibly involved.

though that may be true, and as much as people like to gripe about dubs, I'm one of the few who kind of wanted to see cardcaptor sakura dubbed right. Kind of like how when 4kids gave up the rights of one piece to funimation, fans of one piece got their dream of seeing a dub of one piece done right as well as an R1 release of uncut dvds. Perhaps if cardcaptors had stayed in the limelight longer it would have gotten a dub reboot too.

Last edited by kakoishii on Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Viz these days are more of a threat to the anime industry than 4kids, the only dub I liked from 4kids was they're Ultimate Muscle dub which was known as Kinnikuman Nisei in japan,I could'nt help but laugh at the halariouse jokes.plus Marc Thompson does a great job voicing Kid Muscle. I beleive 4kids once also licensed one of the japanese Ultraman series awhile back in 2002 called Ultraman Tiga,and there was also another monster breeder kid's anime they had awhile back in 2002 as well called Fighting Foodons which was known as Bistro Recepi in japan. but other than that,4kids never finished half the shows they licensed,they never finished F-Zero Falcon no Densetsu,Ojamajo Doremi, or Tokyo Mew mew. speaking of video game animes,they also ruined Sonic X and Hoshi No Kirby (stupid accents and bad voices) Sonic X had an amazing japanese soundtrack and Kirby was ruined with those hidiouse accents like having eric stuart ruining Sir Meta Knight with a freaken spanish accent,but anyway,4kids really need to stick to they're american productions such as thee 2003 TMNT remake.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
Daimao Raki wrote:
They need to stop relying on card games, even though they have been big money makers in the past. Although I wouldn't be suprised if 4Kids went under in the next few years. Would be nice to see Viz get most of their licenses.

Couldn't've said it better myself, hon. Viz or FUNi could really breathe new life into some childhood favorites, which I think would bring a smile to any new or veteran fan's face.

I wouldn't hold my breath at Funi doing too many more 4Kids rescues, considering they mentioned at Otakon's State of the Industry pannel (where, rather symbolically, they were the only ones to show up) that the company is starting to shift older into the teens & young-adult market, and are not looking to boost their childrens' show holdings.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:07 am Reply with quote
This all said, I'm standing right here, with my arms streched out, ready to give 4kids a fair deal of money for Ulitmate Muscle boxsets and a boxset of Shaman King.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:17 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
This all said, I'm standing right here, with my arms streched out, ready to give 4kids a fair deal of money for Ulitmate Muscle boxsets and a boxset of Shaman King.

Just money? As far as SK goes I'm prepared to offer up an arm, a leg, my firstborn, and however much blood they desire, and THEN I'll pay for it Razz I'm not expecting anything fancy either; as long as I get Japanese language with subtitles, decent quality, and Over Soul + Northern Lights back where they belong I have no complaints.

Unfortunately, it's a property that not too many people are interested in anymore, and since it went by fairly unnoticed when 4Kids first ran it I doubt they'd take a chance on a rerelease, especially since maybe only a few hardcore fans would actually buy the DVDs and they seem to be moving away from the Japanese stuff anyway. If another company were to rescue it it'd be something of an investment just to redub the thing (unless they could somehow get ahold of the 4Kids dub as well, which, despite its frustrating name changes, cuts, and random placement of accents, wasn't wholly unbearable), and again, not too many people would be jumping at the chance to buy it. I think our best chance is a sub-only boxset release, if anything - I wouldn't bet on a proper release of the series anytime in the near future, but I refuse to give up hope.

Although lately it seems like there's at least one post asking for a rescue of SK in every major convention thread. You never know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:31 am Reply with quote
What 4kids needs to do is Diversify. Pokemon only got big not because of the card game and anime, but also toys, nick-nacks, and other assorted junk as well. They could've saved One Piece by also importing some of the merchendising behind One Piece. How long did it take to even show a toy prototype?

The fact alone they they believe a card game is their salvation is troubling at best.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4