• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Letter From The Encyclopedist [2008-10-28]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I've been playing arround with the features and I really liked the fact you can specify the ammount of titles to be displayed on a page. Thanks for that one, it's hurts my scrolling finger after a while when I'm going down the Seen All list. Laughing

I'll have to check out the like minded feature next.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:32 am Reply with quote
Woo hoo! I just realized all this stuff had been done and in my usual dorky manner got all ahead of myself and posted about it in the anime forum. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

But having been directed here to see the entire list of all the great improvements that have been made, I just wanted to add my emphatic THANK YOU to what others have been saying. I love browsing the lists of other forum members and this is going to make it a lot easier and more fun.

Did I say thank you yet? This is really cool! Thank you Dan!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:11 am Reply with quote
Good job. But alas, I'm not much into lists (unless t'was a trading list), much less comments and ratings. And I sample-watch portions of too much everything to bother keeping track of those. Just used good ol' spreadsheet and then the Movie Collectorz.com cataloguing program (just scan barcode, move on). Laughing
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:30 am Reply with quote
I'm really happy that everyone is so enthusiastic about the improvements, despite most of them being IMHO fairly minor things.

To those who got no results for the like-minded feature: there was a little bug for people who had rated too few titles to generate a proper like-minded list. Now you should get the proper result... which is a message that says "You must have rated at least 10 anime titles so that we can find like-minded individuals" Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
rti9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:39 am Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
My only remaining wish is to actually see who voted what rating on the title's ANN page (this would be restricted to those who have their lists public, obviously). Dunno if that's actually possible, but it'd be nice to have.

That would be bad because of possible witch hunts (fanboys and girls tracking people who gave low grades to their favorite titles). It would also be bad because it would put users in front of anime. Just like the editors who are building and correcting the database, we should all stay in the shadows.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:58 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Thank you, oh great Encyclopedist! ORZ

Since "orz" isn't an acronym it's generally not written in all caps. OTL works though.

OTL / orz actually express depression and/or sadness. The proper emoticon / kaomoji for expressing gratitude should be the frontal bow: m(_ _)m
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:12 am Reply with quote
ADDENDUM:
You can now also narrow lists of like-minded users based on your own custom categories. So if you had, say, a list of "Favorite harem anime", you could find the people who are the most like-minded for the titles in that category only.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:12 am Reply with quote
Heh, some of these features sound awfully familiar to me, especially the sorting by comment Wink . Although I eventually did implement "placeholder comments" to find with ctrl+f, and later just established a separate text document with a list of uncommented titles. Come to think of it, I've made a group of ~10 yet-hidden custom lists that can be conveniently combined into 1 list if sorted by comment. I'll have to start using that WishList now, too. Like many others I'd exploited first entries in lists to add introductory comments, so now that titles like "A Heat for all Seasons" and ".hack//GIFT" aren't at the top anymore, I'll have to make use of the new headers.

The alphabet-broken Public Lists are good too, especially since I've been going letter by letter searching for lists with good comments to add to the "Recommendations" Sticky in the Anime forum. This will make it easier to just click "K" or whatever, rather than waiting for the entire list to load and re-load after checking each list.
dormcat wrote:
The new "like-minded" feature of MyAnime gave me expected results: abunai, Zalis116, and Samurai CDZ ranked the top three.
Strange that it doesn't seem to work in reverse -- abunai and undeadben are among my top 6 results, but you're not in the top 20.
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:51 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
I guess this is a good time to pimp our subscription server (Skuld). Not only is it always faster than Urd and Peorth, it's usually up when they go down. For example today Skuld was always p and running.

Sounds like I subscribed at exactly the right time. Very Happy

My highest match for like-mindedness was a chap with 84.2% over 23 titles, but kind of like PenguinTruth I saw a couple of titles on the list and thought 'What? That's a masterpiece? And that's weak?' and it kind of makes me wonder how like-minded we really are. Oh well, at least he liked Makoto Shinkai as much as me.

Zalis was on my list too, but that was the only name I recognised. Very Happy

I guess I just need to add and rate a few more titles to my own list (as well as rerating titles my opinion has changed on), so I can find someone I agree with.

Thanks for the updates. Smile
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, I have a free, boring, stay-in night tonight with no homework/essays FINALLY, so I guess I'll start actually using My Anime. It's a nice useful feature, and I really should use it, silly me. Rolling Eyes

If nothing else it'll give me a cool priority list for "what to watch" next, and a concrete "top 10" as I never can tell what my top ten is. (Of course, the problem is that what I rate as "the best" isn't always "my favorite." I have lots of guilty pleasures too that rank high. Laughing0
daxomni

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:00 pm Reply with quote
OK, my "like minded" anime group was fine yesterday but today it switches over to manga instead and tells me that I haven't rated enough manga. Well, that's certainly true, but I would still like to see who matches me with anime alone. Is that no longer possible?

tempest wrote:
For example today Skuld was always p and running.-t

If Skuld is what "fast" connects to then I would have to say that it too was down yesterday.

Last edited by daxomni on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
tempest wrote:
For example today Skuld was always p and running.-t

If Skuld is what "fast" connects to then I would have to say that it too was down yesterday.

You have to pay to play in that sandbox.

Yeah, just what I needed, yet more nagging reasons to update my collections.

Though I am curious why (using Dargonxtc's profile as an example) the MyAnime shows nothing in My Collection, but there are quite clearly DVDs listed in their collection for MyGoods?
daxomni

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:11 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
You have to pay to play in that sandbox.

CMD wrote:
nslookup fast.animenewsnetwork.com

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: skuld.animenewsnetwork.com
Address: 66.207.164.3
Aliases: fast.animenewsnetwork.com
braves

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:18 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Well, that's certainly true, but I would still like to see who matches me with anime alone. Is that no longer possible?

I'm still able to see who matches my anime lists. Are you sure you're going to "My Anime" and from there clicking on the "See other people's anime lists" links to go to the "like-minded" link?

____

Just checked the link in the article; if you click on the one there, it'll take you to a "My Manga" like-minded list. You have to follow the steps that I posted. Anime smile + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
daxomni

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:41 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Are you sure you're going to "My Anime" and from there clicking on the "See other people's anime lists" links to go to the "like-minded" link?

Now it works, thanks braves. The only problem is that I haven't rated enough anime I don't like to help weed out the folks who simply like anything and everything they've ever seen. Oh, and I got that one penguin guy who probably hates half of what I like and would shout me down if only he knew he was on my list. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4