• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Street Fighter X Tekken

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's still better than needing DLC to get a proper ending like FF XIII-2.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Huh? XIII-2 had an ending. Multiple endings, actually, depending on which criteria you met in your time travels and how many fragments you collected.
nhat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:08 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Monster in a box wrote:
I mean, go on the GameFAQs board, and

There's your problem. Video game forums are literally the worst places you can go to find intelligent discussions.

Anyway, yeah, on-disk/day one DLC is awful. Was bad when Mass Effect did it a few weeks ago, and it's bad now. Though Mass Effect is probably even worse since it was story-reliant DLC (not that DLC could save that horrible mess of a story)

This is generally why I don't buy games new anymore. I wait til it's about 30 bucks, so then any DLC will fill out the price back up to 60. Or I wait for a Gold/Game of the Year addition. Or it's a Wii game with no real DLC.

To talk about the technical aspects of a game, this is the last board to go to because only like 10-20% understand baiting, framtraps, footsies, spacing, zoning, frame links in a fighting game, especially SF which has all of that.

For a RTS game like Starcraft, yea you really can't go there at that point.

At least in SF anyone can pick up a controller and start playing and do something but in a RTS, that takes a couple days or weeks of learning if you never played one.
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:33 am Reply with quote
nhat wrote:

To talk about the technical aspects of a game, this is the last board to go to because only like 10-20% understand baiting, framtraps, footsies, spacing, zoning, frame links in a fighting game, especially SF which has all of that.

To be honest, it kinda feels this way even when I go to SRK.

Lawlz.

(which is why I only hang out in the regional forums, where all the sensible people are)
nhat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
nhat wrote:

To be honest, it kinda feels this way even when I go to SRK.

Lawlz.

(which is why I only hang out in the regional forums, where all the sensible people are)

And that's why as a "game" reviewer, it's dangerous and irresponsible to say stuff about a technical factor in a game like, "this gem here blocks everything making the game imbalance" without testing and trying every single possibility. to make sure it is imbalance.

It took Street Fighter 4 Four (4) years to get to it's current balance state.

It took Starcraft 1 over Ten (10) years to be it's current balance state.

And the best part is, there's still more to be improved.

The reason why it takes so long to balance gameplay out because of the human element and the amount of variable and factors in these games. People always think up new exploits, techniques, plans, etc in a technical game.

Last edited by nhat on Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
And that's why as a "game" reviewer, it's dangerous and irresponsible to say stuff about a technical game like, "this gem here blocks everything making the game imbalance" without testing and trying every single possibility. to make sure it is imbalance.
Evaluating a game solely from a competitive perspective is equally irresponsible for a general review. For casual players, a gem that autoblocks could be really frustrating to face.
nhat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
nhat wrote:
And that's why as a "game" reviewer, it's dangerous and irresponsible to say stuff about a technical game like, "this gem here blocks everything making the game imbalance" without testing and trying every single possibility. to make sure it is imbalance.
Evaluating a game solely from a competitive perspective is equally irresponsible for a general review. For casual players, a gem that autoblocks could be really frustrating to face.

1. I'm not talking about competitive.

2. I never said anything that the reviewer should make a review based on the competitive level.

3. I'm talking about in general (non- competitive or competitive ). If a person hears that "this is imbalance" then that person is going to assume that it's not possible to get around the problem.

There's always solutions to a problem but telling people that there isn't a solution or the move is too powerful is the problem.

For someone who doesn't know games like SC or SF, lets take chess for example. There's an opening move call blitzkrieg that seem powerful for a new user.

If you take the time to just look and understand the situation, obviously the move is not that powerful, there's a way to counter that and move on with the game. The move "blitzkrieg" while seem powerful is NOT imbalance.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:17 am Reply with quote
Get used to DLC --- it's replaced the year-in, year-out upgrades the fighting game developers used to do in the 1990s from Street Fighter II through Marvel Vs Capcom 2.

Funny thing is that the fighting game community is bitching about this when it's been standard practice for 20 years now. People forget Street Fighter II went through four revisions before the series moved on to Street Fighter Alpha two years later!

I guess only Madden gets away with minor tweaks...

One other thing... It's one thing to have the data available on the disk for characters, it's another for them to be bug-free. That is one of the things I had against hard drives in consoles from day one. Knowing the PC attitude of service packs and patches being the norm, I knew we were going to see this in new-gen games. DLC's become the reality of this... so have the constant system OS revisions you have to install if you want to be able to access PSN and buy things online.

It stinks, yes, but no matter what hackers think or the gripes of hardcore players with limited budgets, the vast majority of console owners seem to support the DLC/patch system.

Heh... Knowing Capcom's pedigree, I'd bet they'd do a SF Cross Tekken Ultra-Smash release in the fall!

I tell you, it's that attitude that killed the fighting game scene in the late 1990s to being with. It's taken close to 10 years to get it to this state... It'll be the publishing houses and developers that kill it again this time, too. Looks they're repeating history in record time, too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3