• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece's Newest Episode Leaked Before Japan's Debut

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xScar

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Waryas wrote:
Just saying, rtmpe wouldn't solve things with things like rtmpdump in the wild.
They should have used some sort of .htaccess or simply not upload the episode on their server before the real release time.

And I think they usually don't upload things until shortly before a release time... but from what I'm guessing... they got a new mirror/server for their videos... to try and help buffer times... and I guess they just transfered/upload all their videos to the new mirror/server without thinking twice of it.

Hope they figure something out soon D:

vulcanraven01 wrote:
or hell, even the entire deal being ripped up.

Again, I'm not sure... but I clearly think this isn't just a one-sided deal. It's not like FUNi went "Hey, Toei, we want to stream new episodes of One Piece... let us, kay?" It's a combined partnership between Shueisha, Toei, FUNi, and Fuji... Who knows... it could have even been a part of Toei who uploaded the file to FUNi's servers at the wrong time...
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quote
For the guys saying FUNimation sucks. how in the hell can they suck when they are the only Anime company doing there job? They License something new like ever 2 to 3 weeks and they dub everything they get. If FUNimation sucks What does ADV and Bandai do? (I don't say Viz cause there working on Naruto, Bleach, and Nana) Anyway leaking the episode by mistake happens its just guys out there how is pissed that FUNimation is winning against fansubs. Well challenging fansubs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ruremi

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was weird that I couldn't find it anywhere on their site. It's really a shame, and this person or people that're doing it seems like they could still be in college from some of the messages I've seen on some of their postings. It's most likely the same person (or people) that distributes Crunchyrolls' streams, too.

And it's crazy how, Lance's name along with Toei's, is added to make it seem like it was approved.

I don't this person or people is/are true fans when they're disrespecting companies, and people that're trying to make things as easy as possible for viewers, that want to see it as fast as possible.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:34 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
If I was Toei, I'd be pretty pissed right now considering the majority of the western fansub community have seen the ep way before it airs in Japan.

I don't think it can even be called this anymore. It's more like, "The Collective of the Entitled."

It was one thing to have the episode available on the server before it was supposed to be released, but if there was no link to it anywhere, then Funi hasn't really done anything differently than they ever have. The act of actually watching it is more akin to a shop leaving their merchandise in the window, with no employees in the store, locking the door, but leaving a key. If you use the key, you're still stealing the merchandise, you're just not 'breaking and entering'. It's wrong either way. Then to go and put it on torrents instead of just watching it and letting it be, that's where this person/these people crossed the line. There was no reason to do that other than to try and damage Funi's business.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:55 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
There was no reason to do that other than to try and damage Funi's business.

That's the thing, their purpose has nothing at all with being fans of anime (they might not even be)... It's just about getting attention and screwing with ACTUAL fans and companies.

I don't think it was spread around to "share" it with other fans at all, and I doubt the people who did it even were thinking that way. They were thinking "funi just screwed up bigtime, let's get them in as much trouble as possible".
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
For the guys saying FUNimation sucks. how in the hell can they suck when they are the only Anime company doing there job? They License something new like ever 2 to 3 weeks and they dub everything they get. If FUNimation sucks What does ADV and Bandai do? (I don't say Viz cause there working on Naruto, Bleach, and Nana)

They have better security. Laughing

Mario1234567 wrote:

Anyway leaking the episode by mistake happens its just guys out there how is pissed that FUNimation is winning against fansubs. Well challenging fansubs.

It's an avoidable mistake. Like the others have said it's not the first time a FUNi episode has shown up elsewhere. This far ahead happened before with a release. Wasn't it the FMA streaming? But that was intentional right?

The really last controversial leak was Akane Maniax. That had alot of people in Japan pissed off when it was leaked before the DVD release.

FUNi has to improve their security.

Ruremi wrote:

And it's crazy how, Lance's name along with Toei's, is added to make it seem like it was approved.

It's a sign of disrespect, "Sticking it to the man" so to speak. If you were watching the torrents, you'd see that Lance's name is associated with another series also. People who download would have caught on by now.

Last edited by hikaru004 on Sat May 30, 2009 3:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
crilix

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I think it was more like "let's do it for the luls" and "because we can" and "because Funi graciously uploaded this episode for us to download <3".
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:46 pm Reply with quote
If I find the bastard that did this, I'll make him eat dirt and wear an onion sombrero all...day...long. Evil or Very Mad
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote
http://www.onepieceofficial.com/videos.aspx

Quote:
As anime fans know, FUNimation Entertainment and Toei Animation had planned for the first ever online simulcast of the series ‘One Piece’ tonight at 9:00 pm CDT., just one hour after its premiere on Japan’s Fuji Television. Unfortunately, in the last 24 hours we have determined that the FUNimation servers were compromised, even though we employ strict security standards. An unknown individual accessed and posted episode 403 online and as a direct result of this illegal act, all U.S. and Canadian fans will be deprived of access to this great anime series for the immediate future. We will make every effort to locate and prosecute the perpetrator(s)to the fullest extent of the law and will provide updates regarding this most serious matter

Seems like it did affect the streams for a while.
souleater

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Quote:
As anime fans know, FUNimation Entertainment and Toei Animation had planned for the first ever online simulcast of the series ‘One Piece’ tonight at 9:00 pm CDT., just one hour after its premiere on Japan’s Fuji Television. Unfortunately, in the last 24 hours we have determined that the FUNimation servers were compromised, even though we employ strict security standards. An unknown individual accessed and posted episode 403 online and as a direct result of this illegal act, all U.S. and Canadian fans will be deprived of access to this great anime series for the immediate future. We will make every effort to locate and prosecute the perpetrator(s)to the fullest extent of the law and will provide updates regarding this most serious matter

I call BS on the whole hacker thing. Funi is just trying to cover their ass! They leaked it just like they've done in the past, only this time they're in huge trouble for it
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Man, I really hope they find the people (or person) who did that. Jerk! I was so happy about the new episodes too.

I'm so putting the One Piece Hacker on my on-notice board on my profile on ff.net. (Before anyone asks... yes... I do have Grizzly Bears on my on-notice board.)
bayoab

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:05 pm Reply with quote
souleater wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Quote:

I call BS on the whole hacker thing. Funi is just trying to cover their ass! They leaked it just like they've done in the past, only this time they're in huge trouble for it

Compromised does not mean hacked. It just means accessed by persons who did not belong there. The wording there is very carefully picked. The illegal act was the re-posting of the episode.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:06 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
The attitudes on display on the part of the pro-fansub community is pretty sickening IMHO. They're giving you SUBTITLED, DAY-AND-DATE anime for FREE. What more do you want from these people!?

That's American anime fans for you.

Funimation could come to each one of their houses with free pizza and beer and they'd complain the pizza didn't have enough pepperoni and the beer was domestic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Masura

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
souleater wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Quote:

Thats a tough call to make though, you notice that earilier today, all the most recent episodes of One Piece were taken down, so we dont know for sure, if they catch someone then I would say hack, but if they dont then I am not sure. It could be a retaliation to FUNimation's attack on Fansubbers, or it could be some foreign hacker upset that FUNimation doesnt stream worldwide, its a tough call, heck for all we know it could just be someone bored.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Masura wrote:
souleater wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Quote:

Thats a tough call to make though, you notice that earilier today, all the most recent episodes of One Piece were taken down, so we don't know for sure, if they catch someone then I would say hack, but if they don't then I am not sure. It could be a retaliation to FUNimation's attack on Fansubbers, or it could be some foreign hacker upset that FUNimation doesnt stream worldwide, its a tough call, heck for all we know it could just be someone bored.

At any rate, if people want One Piece now, they're going to have to turn back to fansubs for the time being.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 35