• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Simulcast Strike Witches 2 on Wednesday

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:16 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
@ Zin5ki:
All governments interpet the laws to their benefit, not to the benefit of those who they accuse.
Amen brother. People don't have any idea just how abusive the system really is until they get a taste of it.

Of course, it's also very possible that CR is just not seeing viewership numbers out of the UK and such that make them want to pay for a license in those countries. Not to sound like a cynic but way too many fansub watchers refuse to switch to legal streams and I don't think the fanbase is exactly huge over there. (At least, not huge enough to fully offset a number of costs.)

Anyway, I'm going to start watching soon. Today wasn't a good day to start but the weekend looks good.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Of course, it's also very possible that CR is just not seeing viewership numbers out of the UK and such that make them want to pay for a license in those countries.

If there is no existing market and so no competition from existing rights holders, there shouldn't be a problem with having to increase any up front fees to add them - it ought to just be additional royalty payments on additional views.

If it was just a lack of advertisers, they could have a stream exclusively to anime members in those countries.

One problem is licensing in other languages ... hypothetically, take a rights holder that has been using package deals to monetize some smaller language markets ... if they are exclusive rights in that specific country, and the holders demand an up front fee to allow streaming, that would raise the market demand threshold problem.

What is distinctive about Strike Witches is that R2 countries typically licensed are not ... Iceland, Ireland, the UK, Netherlands and Denmark ... and that R2 countries typically not licensed are ... the Middle East. If the licensor typically licenses Iceland, Ireland, the UK, and Netherlands as one bloc, and Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland as another, the "normal pattern" will in fact have been made up of two pieces, and licensor concerns about legal actions in the UK could have tied up a whole bloc.

Quote:
Not to sound like a cynic but way too many fansub watchers refuse to switch to legal streams and I don't think the fanbase is exactly huge over there. (At least, not huge enough to fully offset a number of costs.)

There may be country-specific overhead costs with getting relationships with streaming advertisers, which could explain not being able to get all of the EU at once except for the worldwide releases ... but CR already streams a majority of its simulcasts to Iceland, Ireland, the UK and the Netherlands, so that would not be the case for those countries.

And if no ad-streams can be generated that cover streaming costs, a release could still be anime-member only in that country.

So country-specific rights - either existing contracts are desires to maintain the value of possible future contracts - seem the most likely hold-ups.
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4