• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The worst parents in anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:29 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Still not the worst parents in anime, although now that I look back really slimy but not terrible. Ladies and Gentle men I present to you the worst parent in any anime ever, is rosa ushiromiya.

From?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:54 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
TsunaReborn! wrote:
Hmmm, I see where you are coming from but most parents have little relevance to a story so it is not needed for them to be heavily featured in a show.

With many shows now using teenage protagonists its not surprising that parents seem "not to be around" as I remember when I was a teen I spent little to no time with my parents and would go days without seeing them.

I suspect your experience is rather unusual. Most of the kids who grew up with my daughter saw their parents daily.

Maybe I made that sound worse that it was, most of the time I was staying/camping with friends. Other times I saw them it was more of a "hello, how was your day?" Which if my life was a show it would not be worth putting in. Maybe it is unusual, thinking about it my relationship with my family can come across unconventional, but I love them Very Happy

I feel that shows like Waiting in Summer would not need focus on family as the show centres itself around their relationships with each other.

I think some of the parents from: From the New World can slide towards bad parents as they are unwilling to spoiler[stop them from being killed], I feel unconditional love should factor in somewhere Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Morisummer500

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Taken in by a kindhearted twin tailed spoiled rich girl, the abused Hayate the Combat Butler had the worst parents of all time, even any western cartoon parents and any anime parents are so bad. They ripped poor Hayate off, sold his body the mob, abandoned him, and he's such a sweet guy too. Nagi loves him much more than his horrible parents do, as well as the lovely Maria.
Next worst parent or worse mom, Ran's mom from Uresei Yatsura, she was just a bitch who abused the sweet Ran for now reason.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Ladies and Gentle men I present to you the worst parent in any anime ever, is rosa ushiromiya.

From?

I know this question is ten months old, but I'll respond to it anyway: he's talking about Umineko, and this is only a tiny fraction of the abuse Rosa heaps on her daughter Maria. Rosa even leaves Maria alone in the house for days on end while she (Rosa) goes to a hot springs with her lover. Needless to say, although she does genuinely love her daughter, Rosa ain't gonna win any prizes for mum of the year.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:11 am Reply with quote
Sorry to revive a dead thread.

Ging Freecs- Hunter x Hunter- He abandons his son, makes him go through the hell of Greed Island just to spoiler[lead him to Kite instead], and encourages Kite to hit Gon. He's such a deadbeat, he has to ask somebody else to abuse his child. Needless to say, spoiler[Leorio punching Ging in the face was cathartic].

Garp- One Piece- Considering that both his son and grandson are wanted criminals, does he ever wonder that beating Luffy up and throwing him in the middle of dangerous areas may have been the problem?

Endeavor- My Hero Academia- By the time you learn Shoto's backstory, you will hate this guy more than any of the other established villains.

Last edited by Animeking1108 on Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Normally we do not condone necroposting in a non-official discussion thread such as this one. However, I think the thread topic holds merit and there was legitimate discussion going on before so I'll allow this one to stay open for now. See if legitimate discussion picks up or not.

In the future Animeking if you're going to revive an old thread like this that is not an official series discussion thread it is preferred that you ask a moderator first. Thank you.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
This thread is desperately in need of some Ragyo Kiryuin.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, since it's been revived, I may as well put in my two cents.

Tokiomi Tohsaka from Fate/Zero (and by extension, Fate/Stay Night). He gave his daughter to the Matou family, likely because Zouken said he'd give him bus fare for the ride back if he did so. Okay, I kid, there's a legitimate reason for it, but it still leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Passing on the bloodline of a mage family can only be done to one of your kids, and I do understand that he didn't want Sakura to be given the "dishonor" of growing up without magic. Still, he almost certainly didn't look in to what was going to happen to Sakura. The fact that Aoi goes along with it as quietly as she did makes her just as bad. Undeniably the worst parent in the whole of the two grail wars we're shown. Kiritsugu was forced to abandon Illya and his magic was fading due to the grail's corruption, Kirei may have left his daughter in the hands of others, but I get the feeling that it was for her own sake, lest she suffer being under the emotional trouble of being raised by a man incapable of truly caring for her (the fact that he's disgusted by Zouken's delight at Kariya's suffering leads me to believe that Kirei has some standards there). When you're a worse parent than the primary villain of the story, you know you messed up somewhere.

Gambino from Berserk. True, he's portrayed as a villain, or at least a jerk, but it still angers me that the man was so awful. The woman he loved wanted Guts to be happy and live a long life. To try and kill the kid because you blame her for her death (or, more likely, because you're butthurt because you have one leg and he has two) is too much of an insult to her memory. I know this is for the more realistically bad parents than the abusive ones (IE: 2003 anime Hohenheim over Shou Tucker) but I feel like this should be here.

Speaking of which, Hohenheim of Light is petty. While Van Hohenheim (from the Mangahood of FMA) never made excuses, yet had the very good reason of leaving his family in order to save the world, Hohenheim of Light left his family because his body was (apparently) deteriorating, and he didn't want his children to see him like that. It might hold up if he ever contacted them or had any sort of means to ensure that his family of three was doing alright without him. His wife died of an illness, leaving his children, in their loneliness and grief, to make the taboo-stricken decision that kicks off the series. Had he been keeping tabs on them, he could have gotten news of Trisha's death and stopped them from doing what they did. Oh well. At least he's sorry. (Am I the only one who finds it weird that Brotherhood!Ed holds a grudge against Hohenheim for most of the series, yet 2003!Ed seems to forgive him rather quickly?)

Medusa from Soul Eater. Self explanatory really. Look at Crona's personality and keep in mind that it's all because of her... care. I dunno if Ragyo Kiryuin lives up to this level of "parenting."

Tomoya Okazaki from Clannad, particularly After Story. The reasons are spoilery, but I'll just say that our ANN Podcast put it best and I totally agree with them.

Ruko's mom from Selector Infected/Spread Wixoss. Barely in the story, but those small flashbacks of her calling her daughter a monster simply because she couldn't tell what Ruko was thinking and then dumping her off to live with her mother was pretty terrible. Admittedly, she's better off at Grandma's.

Kamille Bidan's father from Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam. I don't remember any scene where this man is portrayed as anything but awful. At first he comes across as just being selfish, but in his last moments, I'm pretty sure he was alright with killing Kamille.

Edward's dad from Cowboy Bebop. The Cowboy Bebop equivalent of Ging Freecs. But hey, at least he's not deliberately avoiding his kid. That's... something.

I suppose we should try to limit the list by not listing the ones who are portrayed as intentionally poor, but fundamentally still care about their kids like Ging.
Souther

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:21 am Reply with quote
I think Silva+Kikyo are bad parents too, they're just opposites to Ging. Though I wouldn't label them as the worst parents.

I'll add Yujiro Hanma from Grappler Baki to the list (spoilers):
spoiler[
He's the father of two and just an all round arsehole. The older one was conceived after he raped the mother in the Vietnam war and abandons them both. He meets the son for the first time....and leaves him in a pool of his own blood after a fight.

His other child (Baki), he wants to mould into being a strong warrior but feels his son's too weak. So he doshes out savage beatdowns to him and his friend, and kills the mother with no remorse. Speaking of the mother, the mother's a piece of work too but redeems herself....too bad she was fighting Yujiro.

In the manga, he uses Baki as nunchaku.]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Gendo Ikari bar none holy crap. I'll second Tokiomi as well.
TRNielson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:

Gendo? What are you talking about? How many other parents you know would willingly give their teenage son a multi-billion dollar robot so that he can save humanity by fighting against a bunch of weird space aliens while hooking him up with two hot female co-pilots and having a smoking hot older woman as his guardian? Gendo hooked Shinji up! Every bad thing that happened after that point was Shinji's fault.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:13 am Reply with quote
TRNielson wrote:
鏡 wrote:

Gendo? What are you talking about? How many other parents you know would willingly give their teenage son a multi-billion dollar robot so that he can save humanity by fighting against a bunch of weird space aliens while hooking him up with two hot female co-pilots and having a smoking hot older woman as his guardian? Gendo hooked Shinji up! Every bad thing that happened after that point was Shinji's fault.

Best... interpretation of Gendo's parenting... ever. Especially if you take into account the kiss from End of Eva.

From the eternal words of South Park: "Nice..."
Night fox

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:49 am Reply with quote
Genma Kannagi (Kaze no Stigma): Genma disinherited Kazuma and expelled him from the family because of his inability to use fire magic.

Isao Uesugi (They are My Noble Masters): After his wife died giving birth to Ren, Isao felt a strong resentment toward his son. He started drinking and became very abusive toward Ren, to the point where Ren and Mihato ran away from home.

Saki Arima (Your Lie in April): Saki taumatized her son Kousei by constantly demanding perfection and by abusing him both physically and verbally.

Makihisa Tohno (Tsukihime): The father of Akiha and Shiki was only mentioned a few times in the anime, but he was pretty screwed up. Read more here Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4