• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - The Dying Breeds

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Hellfish wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:
Runaways is slated to be getting a film, and it is by no means a long series.

I think citing runaways is a bad example, given that the series was canceled after it switched writers and neither than followed couldn't make the series as good as it was with it's original author. It even ended in a cliffhanger something that would be incredibly anoying for a reader who is acustomed to having endings.

Comics from the United States do not reduce to Marvel and Dc though, and even all comics from DC are neverending and constantly switching authors. But the most recognizable are like this, is not exactly bad but it is not for everyone.

Runaways hasn't ended; it's on a hiatus so it can be retooled. http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=23068.

I understand if it isn't for everyone. I more or less just get annoyed when people a) make blanket statements about American comics being never-ending superhero serials and b) act as though the quality of even the never-ending titles is terrible and produced by money-grubbing con artists. American comics aren't a lesser form, just different in their scope and audience. While a great number of manga handle topics better than several American comics, manga also fails where Am. comics thrive. Let's not forget that manga artists have done stories in the vein of a traditional American comic tale, even creating versions of Spiderman, Batman, and such characters. And American comics have been influence by manga.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:56 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
And it's extremely close-minded to treat all American superhero comics as never-ending. Because they are not, and I don't consider it a valid reason to group all of the titles under that one label. The most obvious example is Watchmen, which is not only a wonderful comic but a deep piece of literature.

Isn't that by a British/English guy? Also that was more of an 'original' tale. Not a Marvel/DC hero like Batman or Spider-Man. You'll never see Batman end.

Quote:
Runaways is slated to be getting a film, and it is by no means a long series. Also, listen to the artists of writers for the "never-ending" series like Batman and Superman; they want to create stories and they put heart into their works. No one should try to cut them down with statements about how their comics aren't telling stories, that they are simple cash-ins with little value beyond keeping the geeks happy. Rather than having a definite end, several superhero comics work in a series of arcs (a territory not unknown to manga). Each arc acts as a different story with a beginning, climax, and end.

It's interesting you cite Runaways, because Runaways was one of the few superhero comics I read for a bit during my one year of trying out American comics. It's a good example of why I dislike them. The first series was alright; they run away, beat their parents and stop them, and all is right. Outside some forced shoe-horn crossovers with other Marvel heroes I didn't know but apparently was expected to, it was okay. The problem stems when they realized they could bring it back and milk it to high heck. Now they're acting like the X-Men or any other superhero group who stop crime; where they originally didn't fight crime (well, I think they stopped like a store robbery they were at one time, but that's it), also crossover with other heroes (some other teenage group of heroes I remember; also a tie in with that one crossover event that was going on at the time.. House of M I think?). Kill off characters, make drastic changes, either due to editorial shifts, new writers, or whatever, and it became a completely mess and ruined the series.

And that's fine if those writers want to make a Batman issue they love, but it's not really the same as someone making a manga. I mean, they want to make a Batman VS Joker storyline, well, what' going to come out of it? Nothing really drastic can happen because they need to make it so other writers can later on make their own Batman VS Joker storyline (or even if they do, other writers can just go back and say 'Nah, that didn't happen, he was faking his death' or 'He wasn't really evil, just mind controlled' so it makes you wonder why bother reading that one specific Batman VS Joker story. I can't see how you can put genuine heart into something you don't own, and will more than likely be altered by someone else and reconnected away in a year.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:34 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Isn't that by a British/English guy? Also that was more of an 'original' tale. Not a Marvel/DC hero like Batman or Spider-Man. You'll never see Batman end.

Alan Moore is British, yes, but I consider that besides the point, as DC is an American company. It's an "original tale"...That just so happened to be a serialization of smaller comic books about a group of superheros published by DC. None of them are "huge" on the level of Batman, but they are still superheroes whose tale ended. That's why I used it as an example. Also, keep in mind that all comics were, at one point, an original tale. The first comic revolving around a masked superhero (The Clock) hasn't been revived in ages, and when it did, it was entirely different from the original. Those characters are all in public domain now.

TitanXL wrote:

I can't see how you can put genuine heart into something you don't own, and will more than likely be altered by someone else and reconnected away in a year.

And that right here is a problem. You admit that you don't "see" or understand how someone can when it's entirely possible to dedicate your life to it. It's about putting your own spin on it. The characters have probably had a deep impact already. Despite not being yours, they are handled with care because they are an icon, deeply ingrained, a high influence.

And your posts still do not acknowledge the several series that are either not about superheros or are but end nicely. Would you at least contend that? You can't cherry pick and call some "original stories," but they still count as titles that don't fit your broad blanket statements.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:54 am Reply with quote
Okay, here's where I stand on American comics since I think my comments might have gotten misinterpreted a little. I don't hate all of American comics. Some of the "arcs" or contained stories are extremely good. The problem is that it's hard to feel any sense of satisfying closure with these characters. Even if they get a satisfying death or some sort of retirement, inevitably they will return within a decade. Sure, I could find some good story arc that would seem like a good "ending" for Spider-man, for example, but I'll still know in the back of my mind that this character will go on to make one of the most idiotic decisions of all time. It really kills any enjoyment of the overall stories of these characters when crap like "One More Day", "Ultimatum", "Countdown to Final Crisis", etc. and various authors such as Chuck Austen's moronic run on the X-men series or the morons who wrote Spidey's Clone Saga take a piss on all the characters you love. Not even the worse arcs in shonen have EVER come close to pissing me off as much as some of these.

See, if a manga ends, sure one can make the argument that "they had more story, but we don't need to know it". That's because no one DOES know it (fanfiction doesn't count obviously). Comic books don't get this (or more likely, can't financially afford to "get it"), and inevitably Superman, Batman, Spider-man, etc. will never be able to make that argument since their stories will continue to be told indefinitely. I'm a little more forgiving towards Batman in this regard, since the "fighting a war that he'll never be able to ultimately end" is actually acknowledged as a tragic side of the character. Of course, in perhaps an amusing subversion, The Dark Knight Returns (NOT Strikes Again) actually does serve as a good (if technically non-canon) ending to the story, and I can just pretend that any of the crap they pull with the character every now and then isn't relevant, because ultimately TDKR is where it all ends up and actually does the "the story ends, but their journey will continue" legitimately and in a solid way. Sadly, no other character/team has been given this sort of justice. There have been attempts, but we end up with crap like "X-men: The End" which made so little sense even David Lynch wouldn't know what to make of it.

And of course, we have excellent series that work completely on their own and have endings, such as Vertigo titles, Sandman, Preacher, Bone, etc. Plenty of solid stuff. However, in terms of the long-runners themselves, I don't think it's too hard to understand why I generally prefer Japan's long-runners over America's.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:11 am Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:

And that right here is a problem. You admit that you don't "see" or understand how someone can when it's entirely possible to dedicate your life to it. It's about putting your own spin on it. The characters have probably had a deep impact already. Despite not being yours, they are handled with care because they are an icon, deeply ingrained, a high influence.

"Handled with care" seems questionable, though. I see a lot of fans complain about what goes on with comics. I know a lot of people hated that One More Day thing with Spider-Man selling his marriage to the devil, for example. Just seems odd that you can say that when other writers do things like that to those very same characters.

Quote:
And your posts still do not acknowledge the several series that are either not about superheros or are but end nicely. Would you at least contend that? You can't cherry pick and call some "original stories," but they still count as titles that don't fit your broad blanket statements.

Well I'm talking about superhero comics, specifically, since they make up 99% of the market. I know there's non superhero comics, but the original comparison was 'One Piece and other long running shounen are no different than Spider-Man' which I found erroneous.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:35 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne, I don't think it's closed minded to say that American comics don't end. I think that if marvel and DC could have every title they launch last nearly a century like Superman has, they would. Mainstream titles, at least, have what it takes to make a series go on forever.

I do think people need to learn that the indie world of American comics looks similar to the manga titles. It's not all 900 issue series and shared universes.

doctordoom85, who needs closure? If a concept can sustain itself for generations, is that so bad a thing?

I love the creator-owned concentration of Japanese comics, but I love the franchise-y writer-for-hire storytelling of the Spider-mans and Batmans out there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:47 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
doctordoom85, who needs closure? If a concept can sustain itself for generations, is that so bad a thing?

I don't think I said I need full closure, as in every little detail needs to be addressed and resolved. I'm with David Chase when he shakes his head at all those people who won't shut up about what happened to the Russian in the Sopranos.

However, I love solid endings. A solid ending, whether it be happy, bittersweet, or downer, as long as it's well-written, lets one sit down with a smile and a feeling of closure. It's a damn good feeling. Why you would actually question why I would want to feel that way?

And as I said earlier, the comic book industry is actually capable of wrapping these characters' stories up. That's the sad thing, they have the potential to do this, but they don't. As I said earlier, Dark Knight Returns works wonderfully as a conclusion to the story of Batman. Hell, Kingdom Come works well as a conclusion to the whole freakin' world of DC. And they even manage to do it with more obscure characters, such as the decent ending to X-Statix.

I'm fine with a long story, as long as eventually there is guarantee that it will have an ending. I love One Piece and don't say, "man, I sure hope this wraps up soon", but I can only say that because Oda WILL end it one day. I can't say the same for Superman, Spider-man, X-men, etc. because the comic book industry has proven time and time again that they can hardly let any of these characters go (Jason Todd and Barry Allen, anyone?). There's no closure, in a way there's no sense of meaning to it all. The DC Universe take down Darkseid "once and for all", who cares, he'll be back sooner or later.

As much as people whine about Spider-man 3, the final scenes of spoiler[Harry's funeral and Peter and MJ dancing] gave me a better sense of completion and satisfaction than any moment in the actual Spider-man comics. Because they actually had the strength to say, "this is all there is folks, you can go home" (not so much X-men 3, partially because I didn't care for most of it, but also the ending was an obnoxious cliffhanger since it was unlikely a 4th one would be made).

In closing, great endings (real endings, not "oh, this arc ended, but another one is right around the corner") are an awesome experience, but they're a rarity in superhero comics. As such, it shouldn't be too confusing why I consider this to be a weakness of superhero comics.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 4:03 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
As much as people whine about Spider-man 3, the final scenes of spoiler[Harry's funeral and Peter and MJ dancing] gave me a better sense of completion and satisfaction than any moment in the actual Spider-man comics. Because they actually had the strength to say, "this is all there is folks, you can go home" (not so much X-men 3, partially because I didn't care for most of it, but also the ending was an obnoxious cliffhanger since it was unlikely a 4th one would be made).

Yeah, the movies of superhero comics are all I can stand to see.. since they tend to actually have endings, kill off the villains, and give closure to things. Granted, they seem to get rebooted every few years, but that's another problem entirely.

The problem is if they ended Batman.. DC is screwed. They end all their flagship titles, they have nothing to replace them with, so they have no choice. The American comic industry fell into that rut and it's kind of impossible to get out.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:53 pm Reply with quote
But doom85, what happened to spoiler[Sandman after the last movie? Did he give up crime or did he stay a villain? Smile]

As technology advances, who knows if the whole "tradition" of long running character series will stay? Maybe at some point something so drastic happens that these comics switch focus.

BTW, I would like to point out that you did not choose the name DoctorTenma85 Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sokpupet

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:58 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
LordRedhand wrote:
You... have a very limited view on American comics and super hero comics to make statements like that. As they do tell stories the key difference is that we change writer/artist teams every once in awhile and it is more akin to how DC and Marvel market themselves, as the Marvel Universe and DC Universe. So while arcs and stories can and do end, the universes which contain them do not, similar to our stories we tell our peers and friends, we don't end when when we finish a story. But in Manga I find that universes tend to end when the main story is resolved... which is counter to how reality actually is...

So in other words, they have no goal or story to them, since each writer will do whatever they feel like. That''s why I never got into American comics. It's like if I just wanted to read One Piece, but I had to read Naruto, Bleach, Detective Conan, and Gravitation to get the whole story because of pointless world-wide crossovers and what have you. That's a terrible way to tell a story, creatively, but it's all American companies can do to make money these days to take advantage of the diehard fanboys who have to buy everything.

sokpupet wrote:
And to add to what LordRedHand and Nayu are saying, it's not like the lives of the characters in manga series stop when the last panel is sent to the printers. There are always more stories to be told with a character, and in American comics they are, but with manga the author feels they've told what they felt was most important and that's that.

When Goku flies off to train Uub, Toriyama tells us his adventures will continue. We're not there for them unfortunately, but they're gonna happen. Even if it's not the characters, the world they inhabit will continue and even more fantastical stories, sagas and epics will crop up. As I said before, in American comics that world and and those characters are continually... employed (yeah, that's the ticket). I can't think of any specific examples, but it shouldn't be too difficult to find manga series that are expanded upon by other authors.

Good for them, and this is where I'd say that's a good thing manga ends. One writer, one series, all creator owned. Just because you CAN milk a franchise out 60+ years, well after the original creator is dead and has no input into it like Batman doesn't mean you should. That's the thing, manga CAN end, and that's why people all over the world prefer reading manga over comics. Manga is there to tell stories; superhero comics are not, and are just there to market timeless characters and stories that never change.

And of course, you left out the paragraph where I give you three very popular American comics that have a defined end. Not a very good way to support your argument.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4