• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Rivals/Adversaries Tournament-Minigame

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raftina

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:33 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Voting Against
Sakura Avalon/Kinomoto vs Li Saoryan/Showran
, Cardcaptors/Cardcaptor Sakura
-Ok, I'm going pretty much entirely on my knowledge of the manga here to be certain, but Li figures out pretty quickly that he really isn't the chosen one after a few volumes and kindly bows out of the contest to get the Clow Cards.

Li first appears in episode 8, was still catching cards for himself until ep 43, and doesn't give up his cards until ep 46, of 70. They were competing for longer than most TV shows last. The fact that they assist each other does not mean they are not rivals: It is common for rivals on the same team, e.g. team sports, to help each other. Sakura and Li are on the same team insomuch as they both want to stop the Clow cards from destroying the town.

Voting Against
Miaka Yuki vs. Yui Hongo, Fushigi Yugi: This is a good example of a one sided affair. Yui has an all consuming jealousy and hatred of Miaka and wants to compete against her for the summoning ritual and Tamahome--both because Miaka also wanted them. Miaka is against Yui only to the extent that she leads the Seiryu warriors, which compete against Miaka's Suzaku warriors. This imbalance can be seen in their roles as well: Miaka is the active leader of the Suzakus and joins them in their field operations. Yui is a figurehead that only Suboshi ever heeds and who doesn't venture out of the castle until Nakago decides that she is needed in some particular operation.
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:

Voting Against
Miaka Yuki vs. Yui Hongo, Fushigi Yugi: This is a good example of a one sided affair. Yui has an all consuming jealousy and hatred of Miaka and wants to compete against her for the summoning ritual and Tamahome--both because Miaka also wanted them. Miaka is against Yui only to the extent that she leads the Seiryu warriors, which compete against Miaka's Suzaku warriors. This imbalance can be seen in their roles as well: Miaka is the active leader of the Suzakus and joins them in their field operations. Yui is a figurehead that only Suboshi ever heeds and who doesn't venture out of the castle until Nakago decides that she is needed in some particular operation.
Ya, right after I posted the nomination I started wondering if I should have nominated The Seiryuu Seven vs. The Suzaku Seven instead of Miaka vs. Yui. But it isn't just a one-sided affair. The hate is one-sided, but Miaka does oppose Yui because Yui is part of the Seiryuu Seven who want to destroy Suzaku. She doesn't think of Yui as evil, but they are still adversaries. Even more than this, they are in love with the same person, so even if the Suzaku and Seiryuu Seven didn't exist they still would be rivals in love.

Hm, maybe I'll nominate The Seiryuu Seven vs. The Suzaku Seven also, because the two rivalries are different enough to stand on their own.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
Voting Against

I was intending to vote for these two but I definitely think you have a point. Miaka never wanted to be up against Yui and spends most of her time trying to make Yui see reason. And so, sadly enough, I am also going to have to vote against that nomination.

As far as Fushigi Yuugi goes, I do think the strongest adversaries would be Tamahome and Nakago, who are actually on my list of planned nominations. I think this would be strong than the Suzaku Senshi/Seven and the Seiryuu Senshi/Seven, mainly since the latter don't really work together that often and many of them are characters we don't see much of at all.

Also, the picture for the Dragons of Heaven vs Dragons of Earth nomination has been updated, I happily managed to find a picture with all of them (and Kotori in the background but don't pay attention to her Razz).

Last edited by marie-antoinette on Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raftina

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Voting Against
Conan Edogawa vs. The Black Organization, Detective Conan: The writeup itself admits that the Black Organization, as a whole, doesn't even know Conan exists. I don't see how this could possibly pass the one sided test.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
Voting Against
Conan Edogawa vs. The Black Organization, Detective Conan: The writeup itself admits that the Black Organization, as a whole, doesn't even know Conan exists. I don't see how this could possibly pass the one sided test.

I considered this and almost didn't do the nomination but all the adversaries/enemies that the BO are aware of and actively pursue or battle, Shiho/Ai, The FBI, The CIA, all receive the most essential help from Conan, who has to stay hidden.
I do wish I was caught up with the series to completely defend the choice but I'm still maybe 150 behind and missing the giant 14 part case that probably really gets into how much they know about Conan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Since I have a moment and I already mentioned this planned nomination, I might as well type it up now.

Tamahome vs Nakago, Fushigi Yuugi pic
Type of Conflict: Enemies
What it's all about: Both Tamahome and Nakago were born to be one of warriors for their respective priestesses, as part of the Suzaku Seven and Seiryuu Seven respectively. Given that their two countries were at war, it was only natural for these two groups to come into conflict. However for Tamahome and Nakago, the conflict quickly became personal, especially as Nakago continued to target his twisted and cruel plots at both Tamahome and his love, the Suzaku Priestess Miaka.
Why they should win: This relationship could have been a contender simply due to the Suzaku/Seiryuu rivalry; however, due to Nakago's continued fascination with seeing how much devastation he could inflict upon Tamahome (often using the other Seiryuu Seven to do his dirty work) it became something quite more. As mentioned above, this brought an added twistedness to their relationship and also brought us the best fights in the anime's run.

As I said above, I feel like this would be a superior nomination to a Suzaku vs Seiryuu one because of how minor the roles of some of the Seiryuu Senshi/Seven are. Also, it would be another case of favoring specific cases over general ones, which is something we seem to be aiming for.
DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Voting For
Yusaku Godai vs Shun Mitaka, Maison Ikkoku
Shunan vs. Nugan, The Beast Player Erin
Tamahome vs Nakago, Fushigi Yuugi
mow123

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Ash Ketchum and Friends vs. Team Rocket Trio (Jessie, James, and Meowth) - Pokemon pic
What It's All About: These three members of Team Rocket may be a part of an organization bent on world destruction, but in reality they only have one short term goal in mind, and that's to capture Pikachu. Ash and friends must put up with the fruitless antics of Team Rocket time after time as their approaches only get sillier and more convoluted. While on the surface, it appears that these two groups are enemies and nothing more, that couldn't be further from the truth. The on going rivalry produces a large portion of the laughs and guffaws that this show has to offer with a splash of drama and conflict thrown in for good measure.

Why They Should Win: Consistency -- almost every episode like clockwork Team Rocket tries another not so full proof plan to nab the electric rat they are after. Ash and friends actively participate in the rivalry by foiling Team Rocket's not so sinister, evil plans. This rivalry should do well because its well established and provides more rivalry than just the typical good guys stopping the bad guys by providing comic relief as an added bonus. Beyond consistency, the team rocket and the show's main heroes have one of the longest and most established adversarial relationships in recent anime history. Without this adversarial relation, much of the show's humor, drama and conflict would be lost. Many episodes have conflict and drama that place this adversarial relationship at its core, and without it much would be loss.

Last edited by mow123 on Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Voting for
Sekai vs Kotonoha, School Days - when most rivals go from enemies to friends, we get the reverse situation here.
Ranma vs Ryouga, Ranma 1/2
Ashu, Pikachu, and Misty vs Team Rocket, Pokemon
Sousuke vs Gauron, Full Metal Panic

Although I'm almost always in favor of more Nanoha, I'm hesitant to vote in favor of Nanoha vs Fate here, as Nanoha doesn't want to fight Fate, like, ever, and Fate doesn't really have anything against Nanoha other than that she needs the um, whatever the crystal thingies were called.
Jen526

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:33 pm Reply with quote
VOTE FOR:
The Dragons of Heaven vs The Dragons of Earth, X-TV
Hikaru Shindou vs Akira Touya Hikaru no Go
Maya Kitajima vs. Ayumi Himekawa Glass Mask
Ayeka vs Ryoko, Tenchi Muyo
Rue v Duck, Princess Tutu
Yuki and Kyo Sohma, Fruits Basket
Spike and Vicious, Cowboy Bebop
Light Yagami and L, Death Note
Sousuke Sagara v. Gauron, Full Metal Panic

NOMINATE

Isamu Dyson vs. Guld Bowman Macross Plus pic
Type of Conflict: love rivals, competitive/professional
What It's All About: One-time friends turned enemies, the two wind up as rival test pilots in a project to develop a new super-secret fighter plane. They clash violently over the project - and also over ex-girlfriend, Myung - against a backdrop of a classic "AI turning against the humans who created it" storyline.
Why They Should Win: For the sheer intensity level. This is one of the messiest, hardcore, knock-down-drag-out rivalries in anime.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Also, I am going to take issue with the Juliet vs. Lord Montague nomination. Although Montague certainly has it in for Juliet, the conflict is less about her specifically than the Capulets in general.

Based on this...
Voting Against:
Spike v. Vicious, Cowboy Bebop, because the adversary for Spike was actually the Syndicate, not Vicious. It wasn't until Vicious removed key members of the Syndicate that he became Spike's adversary, and it was clear Vicious never intended to kill Spike, a choice changed when Spike declined to return. If a correction is made from Vicious to Syndicate, this vote can be negated.
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:06 pm Reply with quote
NOMINATE
Zatch Bell vs. Brago Zatch Bell! pic
Type of Conflict: last one standing, power struggle
What it's all about: Once every 1000 years, human-like creatures called Momodo are sent to Earth to have a battle royale to determine who will be the next king of the Momodo world. The tournament is set up so that the last one standing is the next monarch. Zatch Bell and Brago meet fairly early on and fight, but the battle is left in a tie as Zatch was stronger than Brago was anticipating. Both Zatch and Brago train and defeat opponents so that they can become the next king of the Momodo.
Why they should win: This is a true rivalry. Both are aiming for the same goal, but in the end only one can be king. The rivalry is mutually acknowledged, and each of their powers respected. They do team up temporarily but they are constantly working to get stronger so they can claim the title of king.

Pedro vs. That Man Excel Saga *pic
Type of Conflict: Love rivals, survival, ideological
What it's all about: Pedro is an immigrant in Japan from South America, working hard for his son and sexy wife when he dies in a construction accident. He wanders the world as a ghost, trying to contact his family when he finds that his sexy wife has shacked up with another man, Gomez. Eventually Pedro finds out that Gomez is That Man in disguise, a leader of ACROSS who wants to take over the world. Pedro becomes an Afro-warrior to save the world and win back his sexy wife.
Why they should win: This is probably one, if not the, of the funniest rivalries I've ever seen. It's unpredictable, hilarious, and awesome. You know a rivalry is gettin serious when one party goes and gets an afro and training from the Director.

*Pedro is the Afro-warrior in the middle, and That Man is the one about to kick them over.
Sorry for forgetting the pictures! These pics are kinda marginal, I'll look tomorrow and see if I can find better ones.

Last edited by Tris8 on Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:26 pm; edited 4 times in total
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Starting off Voting For with one that's been voted against

Arsène Lupin III vs. Inspector Zenigata

I do not like the votes against. Of course these guys are adversaries, there is no question. The fact that it's played for laughs and that Lupin doesn't take it too seriously should not count against the pairing. Once again these tournaments turns against the comedies. Comedies have protagonists and antagonists in adversarial situations too, just becasue you get a laugh from them doesn't denegrate them, it merely means that they run off of a slightly different set of rules.
Zenigata chases him, Lupin runs away. If they ever "get along" its in the interest of a shared foe. Zenigata has a strong sense of justice, if Lupin delivers him with another wrongdoer, he'll take him down instead.

And basically I do not accept the argument that a rivalry/ adversarial relationship is an automatic disqualification if you feel they're not evenly matched, that is merely arguing the quality before the matches. If they're not strong enough rivals/adversaries that means they'll be voted out in the eventual tournament. IN the meantime, if you think they're weak rivals, don't vote FOR them.

also Voting For: (I haven't seen half of these but if it sounds like it should fit in the tourney, I'll vote for it)
Ayeka vs Ryoko
Spike Spiegel vs Vicious
Hikaru Shindou vs. Akira Touya
Yugi Mutou/ Yami Yugi vs Seto Kaiba
Naruto Uzumaki vs Sasuke Uchiha
Kaname Kuran vs Zero Kiryū
Rue / Princess Kraehe v Duck / Princess Tutu
Yuki and Kyo Sohma
Miki Onimaru vs. Megumi Kannazuki,
Light Yagami and L
Ranma Saotome vs. Ryoga Hibiki
Astro vs Atlas
Yusaku Godai vs Shun Mitaka
Jomy Marcus Shin vs Keith Anyan
Tamahome vs Nakago
Ash Ketchum and Friends vs. Team Rocket Trio
Zatch Bell vs. Brago
Pedro vs. That Man

can't vote for a single pair of Raftina's, I might be convinced but those generic write-ups make them seems as special as a post-Friends sitcom about 20-somethings who live together, date around and hang out in their fancy three walled apartments and local drinking establishments.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
Sekai Saionji vs. Kotonoha Katsura, School Days
Ayeka vs. Ryoko, Tenchi
Yusaku Godai vs Shun Mitaka, Maison Ikkoku
This tournament was proposed because of a perception that rival duos were shunned in the best duo tournament. I observed a similar problem in the best supporting characters tournament, where comic reliefs were specifically identified as such and voted against for that reason. I suspect that this is a general problem with these tournaments: If the entries are part of a large subset, and this subset is reasonably well-defined and can be succinctly labeled, then we should hesitate to bring them into the tournament. In this case, there can be no question that such a subset exists: These are vertices of a love triangle, and best love triangle was significant enough to be a proposed result for this tournament. It is extremely dishonest for the proposal to have failed, then to try to backdoor the entrants into the best rivalry tournament by labeling them "rivals in love."

Romantic rivals are (typically) inherently part of love triangles, so it's very difficult to have a "romantic" reason for a rivalry without having a love triangle. They were always intended to be an integral part of the tournament (look at my original proposal for the concept). I won't negate your negative votes here if you truly feel that strongly about it, but your concern here is sufficiently misplaced that I will vote for the two that I haven't already supported to offset your negative votes; I would have voted for Sekai/Kotonoha anyway, as I wouldn't have thought of that one but find the direction that they take to be particularly intriguing.

Tris8, your last two nominations need pics. If they don't have them by this time tomorrow then they will be dropped from the candidate list.

And no one's paying attention to the two that I nominated in the OP? Really?

I will also Vote For:
Arika Yumemiya/Nina Wang, My-Otome
Isamu/Guld Bowman, Macross Plus
Naruto/Sousuke, Naruto franchise
Sousuke Sagara/Gauron, FMP
Jomy Marcus Shin/Keith Anyan, Toward The Terra

I'm debating what kind of conflict/rivalry should come out of FMA. Elric Brothers vs. Scar seems the most obvious, or perhaps Elric Brothers vs. Homunculi? I'm also debating what's the best rivalry to pick out of Princess Mononoke. Beast Gods vs. Eboshi? San vs. Eboshi? Beast Gods vs. Iron Town?

I am also, frankly, shocked that no one has done Izaya vs. Shizuo from Durarara!! yet.

Others that I plan to do write-ups for as soon as I have the time (unless someone beats me to them, in which case I'll second) include NERV vs. Angels in NGE, Kazuma vs. Ryohou from sCRYed, Ichigo vs. Renji in Bleach, Akito vs. Naozume in Kodocha, Inuyasha vs. Sesshomaru and/or Inuyasha vs. Naraku in Inuyasha, and a few others I'm sure that I'm forgetting about.

Concerning the question about triangular rivals/adversaries: not sure how I feel about that. Opinions?

The first official list will go up in a couple of hours (probably).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Nominating

The Digidestined vs Myotismon, Digimon Adventures pic
Key Members- Digidestined: Taichi "Tai" Kamiya (partner: Agumon). Yamato "Matt" Ishida (partner: Gabumon), Sora Takenouchi (partner: Biyomon), Koushiro "Izzy" Izumi (partner: Tentomon), Mimi Tachikawa (partner: Palmon), Joe Kido (partner: Gomamon), Takeru "T.K." Takaishi (partner: Patamon), Hikari "Kari" Kamiya (Partner: Gatomon)
What it's all about: After defeating Devimon and Etemon, the Digidestined think they can sleep easy; however, as should be expected in a continuing show for children featuring fighting monsters of some sort, there is always a bigger, badder villain waiting in the wings. And this time their opponent is Myotismon, a vampire Digimon who not only wants to control the Digital World but seeks to conquer the real world as well.
Why they should win: There is a reason that fans of Digimon Adventures consider the Myotismon arc to be the best of the series and that is because Myotismon's arrival raises the stakes to new heights, even eclipsing the later big bads that were to follow him. Myotismon is more intelligent and manipulative than the previous villains and he pushes the Digidestined to greater heights than reached before (or, once more, afterwards, as no new staged of Digivolving is unlocked during the Dark Masters arc which follows)

Note: Though I listed them, I decided not to officially include the Digimon as part of the rivalry because I see them as more extensions of their human partners. Also, Gatomon would complicate things a bit.

And since it amuses me to nominate someone from Digimon and vote for something from Pokemon at the same time ...

Voting for

Ash Ketchum and Friends vs. Team Rocket Trio

Key wrote:
And no one's paying attention to the two that I nominated in the OP? Really?

I noticed them! But since I haven't seen either series (okay, I've seen one episode of DBZ) I can't really say much of anything about them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 20