• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which anime has your favorite character designs?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I'd be inclined to say that most of my favorite character designs have come from Madhouse works from 2000+. (Black Lagoon, Claymore, Death Note, Devil May Cry, Gungrave, Gunslinger Girl, and Monster to name a few.) I like the facial structures and the fact the eyes are offen more real looking, as well as the fact that they offen portray distinctions between races of people more naturally.

Generally, I don't really have a problem with character designs and am pretty accepting. There isn't really much I don't like.
ShinjiKinomoto

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:39 am Reply with quote
Any anime made by Satoshi Urushihara. I'm a huge fan of his work. Growlanswer, Bubblegum Crises (the end), Plastic Little, Another Lady Innocent, etc. I love all of his work the best!
AndrewIsAzn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:51 am Reply with quote
Code Geass, Tsubasa, basically anything by CLAMP. I loooove their characters. They look so fake and out there with their super skinny body parts but somehow they manage to still seem real.
I also like the character designs from Samurai Champloo and Samurai 7, the costumes and everything else about the characters was really unique and cool
NRTUB

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:00 am Reply with quote
Naruto has a great cast of characters, each with their own unique personality.
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I'd have to go with Champloo, Claymore, Bebop, Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust (Mostly D's design) Paranoia Agent, and Wolf's Rain.
Nandeyanen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:24 pm Reply with quote
It's already been mentioned, but I absolutely love Noizi Itoh's artwork (Suzumiya Haruhi, Shakugan no Shana, Nanatsuiro Drops). I love how their eyes are drawn- it just makes it look so deep and mysterious, it's just brilliant:D

I also like the character designs from Kannazuki no Miko and Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora (Kyoshiro and the Eternal Sky). I really like their hairstyles, it's too adorable:D
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:12 am Reply with quote
It's really a matter of favorite character designer, period. Mine is probably Kenichi Sonada, whose stylized, energetic (if a tad hair-heavy) character designs for Bubblegum Crisis, Gall Force, and Gunsmith Cats I find unique and appealing. Not to mention that Sonada does his research with details in mechanical design and it pays off.

I'm also rather fond of Leiji Matsumoto's distinct form. Though there's not a whole lot of variety, where you find it, it's very representative of the characters' personalities. Thus, a short, misshapen lump like Dr. Sado from Space Battleship Yamato becomes the colorfully cheerful and lighthearted comic relief or the grizzled, bearded, old man becomes the stern father figure character.

Another character designer I like is Yoshikazu "Yas" Yasuhiko, whose simple, but expressive character designs remind me of early American comic artists. His designs can be seen in Mobile Suit Gundam, Crusher Joe, and Venus Wars. He's probably a more serious-minded artist than the aforementioned. It's said he doesn't even particularly understand the popularity of Gundam. It's also of note that he was the original character designer for Dirty Pair, illustrating the light novels on which the anime was based on.

I think the most professional-looking work, that really uses light and shadow in the faces and bodies, would be that of Toshihiro Kawamoto, famous for his designs in Cowboy Bebop. This is in no way an endorsement based on his having signed a Cowboy Bebop: The Movie poster that belongs to me (along with director Shinichiro Watanabe and composer Yoko Kanno), mind you. I bought his CB art book, ~The Wind~ at Otakon one year. It's excellent. His art can vary between super detailed and simply expressive. It's really impressive how he brings out the humanity in his characters.

There are various others I'm fond of, but those are my absolute favorite character designers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
vastoceans

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:03 am Reply with quote
it's probably not for everyone... but i loved the character designs in XXXholic. Has a kinda gothic feel to it.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:20 am Reply with quote
Bebop had some excellent character designs. The main cast just oozed with style and cool factor. The clothing designs in particular really stood out from the crowd, and Spike has one of the most awesomest anime 'fros EVER.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I guess I will say This Ugly And Beautiful World. The characters are all drawn to be unique based on who they are, especially Hikari and Akari. Even the monsters are really, really awesomely drawn, and I really, really like that about the show.
motaku96

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:14 pm Reply with quote
This one's a tough one. I'd have to say Haruhi Suzumiya(i mean the show, not just the character). Everyone's so shiny and clear throughout the series. I bet they'd glow in the dark too.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:16 am Reply with quote
vastoceans wrote:
it's probably not for everyone... but i loved the character designs in XXXholic. Has a kinda gothic feel to it.

I really don't like that style at all but for some reason it worked for XXXHolic and XXXHolic: Kei. Confused
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:44 am Reply with quote
I think I'm going to have to say Paranoia Agent. One of the biggies I love about that series is its art, particularly its characters. All of the characters look so distinctly different that you can pretty much look at every character and--if they had any memorable lines or scenes at all--you probably be able to identify them as at least "Oh, that's the girl that's the character designer" or "that's the wife of the police officer!", etc. It's a show that takes a complaint often thrown at anime--"all the characters look the same, but with different hair!"--and blows it out of the water.

The only thing I would say is that the outfits are fairly forgettable, but since the anime is supposed to look like it's set in the "real world" it makes sense. If they had over the top anime designs it'd ruin that element.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
I think I'm going to have to say Paranoia Agent. One of the biggies I love about that series is its art, particularly its characters. All of the characters look so distinctly different that you can pretty much look at every character and--if they had any memorable lines or scenes at all--you probably be able to identify them as at least "Oh, that's the girl that's the character designer" or "that's the wife of the police officer!", etc. It's a show that takes a complaint often thrown at anime--"all the characters look the same, but with different hair!"--and blows it out of the water.

I find it a bit ironic that I showed my friend Paranoia Agent and Paprika's openings and she said that she didn't like the visuals (character designs really). I liked his designs the moment I set eyes on them in Tokyo Godfathers (heck, Miyuki is even my current avvy).

I think both Satoshi Kon and Naoki Urasawa make two of the most distinct character designs that I know of. They also make some of the more realistic looking characters. Similarly, they both make characters with different facial structures whereas I look at some shows and can't really find any distinguishing facial features, but these two pull it off so well. Neither of them use pink and blue hair to distinguish characters by which hair dye they use, they both use normal colors to really great effect. Paprika probably has the closest hair color to mine I've seen in an anime (which is awesome) and I especially like Kon's use of expression through his eyes, which don't take up half of their face.
I actually sorta like Urasawa for making some...well rather ugly characters. Sure, he can make people like Johann and Anna, but then he makes characters like Mr. Heckel and Inspector Lunge who are just kinda ugly. He also seems to have the distinct ability to not draw hair twice as high as the person's face, which in itself is rather unusual.
I think some character designers should totally be ripped on for making their leads from two different manga look almost exactly the same (looking at you, Miwa Ueda!), but Urasawa most definatly made Dr. Tenma and Taichi Keaton look drastically different, and just about any other character, major or minor, from either series. Even the shopkeepers aren't reused.

The only exception to Satoshi Kon is for Rumi and Mr. Me-Mania from Perfect Blue. Perhaps its because it was his first movie or something, but I thought Rumi looked like a Flounder, with her eyes on the outside of her head like they were trying to escape or something. She would have better just holding them up like Krumm from Aaahh!! Real Monsters does, at least we'd know where they were then. Mr. Me-Mania (aka "the creepy stalker guy") just had an inhuman look about him that didn't quite fit in elsewhere. But it looks like it was all fixed up by Millennium Actress so I'll forgive him this.

Also, I'm not really sure why, but I really like the character designs for Revolutionary Girl Utena, but I can't quite put my finger on why. I'll elaborate once I figure it out. I know part of it is that I do like their eyes.
pparker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:51 am Reply with quote
Kenichi Yoshida - Eureka Seven. I look forward to more from him, as E7 was his first char design assignment, but he has had an amazing key animation career on high quality shows. His characters are unique and expressive. Eureka is appealing, but not moe, not an ideal. When she begins to have "issues", the effect is... too good, without going into spoilers (though not sure if that's his doing specifically). Very few anime incite emotion for me, but she certainly does at that point.

Noizi Ito - Shana, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Nanatsuiro Drops. What she does with eyes is uncanny, and while her designs are moe, they just don't strike me as pandering like in Clannad et al eroge adaptations. Obviously the directors and key animators have more to do with the character expressing themselves in movement, but the subtle differences in forms establish personalities and relations (size, etc) that communicate volumes of themselves. Shana is truly one of my favorite characters, obviously, and Ito's designs are one reason why.

Yoshiyuki Sadamoto - FLCL, Nadia - Secret of Blue Water, Neon Genesis Evangelion, etc. Some of the most unique characters in anime. But it's Gainax, so what can you say Smile

Other shows have unique and engaging character styles: Haibane Renmei, Texhnolyze (Yoshitoshi Abe, the great). I like nearly all CLAMP designs as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5