• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: San Diego Police Arrest 29-Year-Old Male in Alleged Assault on Comic-Con Cosplayer

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:32 pm Reply with quote
The Mary Sue has posted an article collecting what's known so far regarding the incident.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote
@mangamuscle: My point is she should have had a friend with her. An actual friend.

Nevermind, I read that article. She was "Jacked" The 29 year old let go on bail. No witnesses and despite this being 2014 there is no security footage. Fantastic. Sorry Girl, you've been had. What a bad first impression.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
That somewhat implies that if a women dresses attractively, it is their fault if they get assaulted. I refuse to accept such notion. I haven't gone to anime/comic/etc. conventions in years, but no matter where I am, if I see an attractive women I might look at her (you know, I am not made of stone), but even if she wore a bikini in the middle of the city, that is no reason to assault her, plain and simple, at least in my mind that is minimum manners in a civilized urban areas of the 21st century, anything less is a hillbilly zone.
OK, You are in total denial of reality works. There are perverts that are more than willing to pay to sneak people away. Come to Vegas and see what I've seen.

Anyway. My point is that if someone had her back, this wouldn't have come to light. I know there are cameras at the San Diego convention center. The higher ups have footage gathered from the floor. Someone has to come forward.

I don't think its unreasonable to recognize the danger and encourage women to take steps to protect themselves. That's not the same as victim blaming if done in the right, non-judgmental way. You just have to recognize that this is also a very tricky topic. There is a ton of actual victim blaming that happens constantly and has little to do with helping and everything to do with shaming women for perceived ill behavior. When you say "She should have..." it definitely comes off as judgmental. Also, the whole "how she was dressed" thing is the absolute epitome of that. You really don't want to go there. Not even at all. Not even if you mean well. Plus that's entirely a myth anyway. Assaults don't really show any correlation with manner of dress.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:06 pm Reply with quote
THANK YOU to whichever staff member removed some of the posts in this thread. As an adult woman who cosplays, I was taking great offense to quite a few comments being made.

Cosplay IS NOT consent. Cosplay is a form of expression, showing your love of a particular character/series. Blaming a cosplayer for getting attacked because of their cosplay is the exact same thing as saying she was asking for it, or it's her fault. The only person this is the fault of is the person who decided to attack her. No one else's.
aodmisery

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Just read an article that says she wasn't assaulted but fell from at least six feet. According to police. No specific details were given
誤称

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I believe this would be said article.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
So, she was trying to climb a wall by the pool or something and face-planted? Well that really sucks for Kalior, because now his name is associated with the non-existent assault of a teenage girl. Hopefully photography is just a hobby and not his profession, because I imagine it's hard to book models when they google your name it insinuates you are a woman-beating pedophile.

If that's the case, hopefully she was just afraid to admit that she'd been drinking to the police and comes clean. Maybe salvage a bit of this guy's reputation. (And I admit that I was in the process of stringing him up myself before I read all the non-ANN stories out there.)
Chaos Salad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Yeesh, the whole story is still pretty sad, even for Kalior now. I hope it was just an accident, but I do find it hard to believe that she was by herself when she fell. The whole thing still smells kind of fishy, so hopefully more witnesses can step forward and give more information. Kids, be careful at cons- report creeps and use caution when you are in high places!
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Depends on the circumstances but I'm not exactly feeling sorry for him even if "all" he did was get a teenager drunk and then ditch her leaving her to fall and break her head. The whole thing still reeks of creep too. Hell, even if he thought she was 20 it's still a shady.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:17 am Reply with quote
We won't see eye to eye, on a few of these issues. And this story is of teen girl who just turned 17 was playing around now? Movin on.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:23 am Reply with quote
The update to the story says that what led to the fall from the gate was an "altercation" with some man just prior to it, and apparently she believes she was raped at some point that night. There's also more confirmation drugs and alcohol were involved here. The story's not over just yet.
KidaYuki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:48 am Reply with quote
Eye candy is eye candy, I always wonder why there are men who have a hard time keeping they're hands in their pockets. Does "Look but don't touch" not apply to cosplay women?

I really hope that this is indeed just an accident, this is supposedly a country of "Innocent until proven guilty" so lets not cook this Kailor guy for anything other than leaving a 17 year old in a giant con unattended until it's proven that HE'S the one that gave her alcohol and lead to her fall. I do hope that who ever did this to her (assuming of course she didn't drink on her own and fall) is brought to justice.

I wish this girl a very speedy and full recovery.
Ariolander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:48 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Depends on the circumstances but I'm not exactly feeling sorry for him even if "all" he did was get a teenager drunk and then ditch her leaving her to fall and break her head.

I dunno. I was drinking all week in San Diego over the course of the Con, amongst the half dozen places I ordered were the Marriott's bar and their poolside Cantina. I was never carded once throughout the entire weekend.

At 25 I certainly don't look "old" and frankly I am surprised how lax everyone was about alcohol during the event. I saw people waiting in lines for panels drinking in brown bags what may have been alcoholic beverages at the con.

So if a minor who didn't look to be clearly a minor (she looks relatively mature from the photos I have seen) wanted a drink. I am sure it would have been easy enough with or without someone else's help.

According to reports he didn't "ditch" her. They got into a very public argument in the hotel lobby about him wanting to leave, her wanting to stay, and she stormed off. When she didn't answer her cell phone he contacted hotel staff and was with security when she was found.

According to the Polygone interview it looks like he was only trying to do the right thing. I don't know what more anyone could expect from the guy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:01 am Reply with quote
I knew there was a tad bit more to this than was let on.

Party girl partied too hard.

The guy was an idiot, though; and if she was sexually assaulted then he needs to rot.

But its all a he-said/she-said between an idiot and a drugged up party girl at this point.

ON another note: I don't understand how people can just "hang out" with perfect strangers so easily... It's clear that these two weren't too good of friends if she did, indeed, lie about her age and he believed it.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:31 am Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
I knew there was a tad bit more to this than was let on.

Party girl partied too hard.

The guy was an idiot, though; and if she was sexually assaulted then he needs to rot.

But its all a he-said/she-said between an idiot and a drugged up party girl at this point.

Certainly, if he actually did sexually assault her, he should rot. However, it didn't seem like the police actually found any evidence of a sexual assault.

I actually feel really badly for him (because I'm going to presume innocence until at the very least there is some actual evidence if not till actually proven guilty). His only real crime seems to be giving a minor alcohol and now he is being called a rapist by a girl on social media and his name has already been released to the media. If there isn't anything at all to corroborate her story, then I hope he can sue her for slander.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 12