• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Under the Dog Producer Hiroaki Yura Also Talks Production Committees, Moe in Reddit's AMA

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kabochaone

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:37 am Reply with quote
Its easy to see why many of us can clearly see the sorry state of anime today.

Its easy to see the common denominator in creating new anime aiming at hardcore fans today, and the best sure bet to not lose money and get you a hit or super hit ih you invest more "creativity" in the girls, for story some randome SOL will do most of the time.

The creative challenges of anime today are:

1)making girls act as moe as possible
2)Having them act absurdly adorable to emulate this "feeling of protection" Laughing and tailor their appearence and voice for maximum effect
3)Have male characters act hopeless and be as plain as possible to emulate the normal random otaku and feel identified
4)Make girls show their panties
5)For fanservice anime have them as busty as possible, show tits and butts indiscriminately
6)Get the most popular virginal female seiyuu vocing them

And then you get the nice expensive figures of those girls, dvd/bd, etc, etc, etc, those are safer and better bets and otaku will eat them like hotcakes if the common denominator is met.

New trends:
1.1)bishounen
1.2)Idol music

And people say why many of us a also creators say anime is ruined by moe an fanservice? When the common denominator is the above in today´s anime?

Who are delusional to not accept the facts?
Parse Error

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:51 am Reply with quote
animefanworried wrote:
mecha was very much the leading trend though

Well in your intended sense of being comparable to moe, that's true, seeing as how so many people complain that "moe" is the leading trend nowadays. Those supposed trends can be very misleading though, because whether it's mecha in the eighties or moe and ecchi in recent years, it takes what's still a minority of series and uses words like "dominant" to make them sound like the majority.

kabochaone wrote:
mecha anime was mecha anime, did not invade any other number of anime and there was plenty other trends dominating.

So in other words, it was just like moe is today. No other type of anime has been taken off the air to make room for more "moe" shows.

kabochaone wrote:

I'll accept the facts whenever you choose to present them instead of the same boilerplate rants that have been already debunked countless times.

Last edited by Parse Error on Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Anti_Nadalista

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:05 am Reply with quote
kabochaone wrote:
@animefanworried

Yes, there is nostalgia for when anime and creators had creative drive to make a good plain fun anime like Kabocha wine or Dr Slump to more mentally challenging series like EVA.

Also when you have to look up series, don't worry I have in fact probably watched most memorable entries you can look up since the 60s to know, anyone can tell you that there has always been dominant trends, but there has never been in history such dominant trends like moe to infest in some form or another, even on series they don't quite fit at all and should not be any race it (again, becase for uppoed moe = feeling, has evolutioned to something visually and verbally intrusive), and trends till now have never been for bad or downgrade creativity, variety, worst.. constraint creators, I am telling you this, yes and also the creators themselves, there has been several that have had the balls to say it and few that have had the balls to make projects like this so then can worth their creativity a little without worrying about meeting todays otaku tastes which are by now clearly a : GIVE IT A REST; ITS ENOUGH.

For a fact I did not have to see a Gundam appear on Cats eye or Touch in the 80s for sure for it to be a sucess,or have other series asinging heroine a la Macross - Minmay, you can be sure Minami at the end of the 80s did not need to mimic Minmay traits.

Also we did not need to see the physiological traits of the successful GITS movie or EVA in other series in the subsequent years for them to be a sucess, or magical girls in any number of anime, imagine a sailor moon girls in EVA to make it success and ride the sailor moon boom Smile

The taste of us fans back there was very diverse, we did not need countless sailor moon or eva series or countless mecha anime for them to sucess effectively denying the chance of other seriss to shine.

And yea, fujoshi vs otaku SAIKOU DESU! A counterforce Laughing Yep, I am looking for that quality refined anime. can't tell irony right, BUT whatever that can make a counter force to otaku gluttons.

This an industry where people are still financing Oshii and Otomo's expensive Bombs Anime hyper.

Hosoda is the only one making successful movies for the general audience right now and that's the reason why he has the freedom to make original movies. This guy is saying exactly what people like you want to hear "Anime is moe crap today, so give me your money to save it with my generic concept" and he was successful at it Anime hyper.

They're still making stuff like Mushishi today with a TOP NOTCH treatment and people still complains. You have an asshole like Anno saying the same crap "anime is shit today and my Eva movies will save it, give me your money nerds" XDDDDDDD.

Laughing
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:12 am Reply with quote
Moe isn't a genre you stupid dickheads
Parse Error

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:28 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Moe isn't a genre

Well, to be fair, it could be, in the same way that comedy, drama, or action are. Unfortunately it got poisoned by too many people using it as a derogatory catch-all label for literally anything they dislike.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:28 am Reply with quote
kabochaone wrote:

You are because nothing you wrote is actually factual.

You contradict yourself. You say that:
Quote:
anime is ruined by moe an fanservice

But you just prior to that said the the current trend is 1) bishounen. So which is it?

I grew up watching anime before you did, except I look back without rose tinted glasses. And unlike you, I also watch everything eventually. Most people spouting this nonsense are simply engaging in confirmation bias, without checking the facts.

If what you say is true, that it's all about the moe otakus and:
Quote:
And then you get the nice expensive figures of those girls, dvd/bd, etc, etc, etc, those are safer and better bets and otaku will eat them like hotcakes if the common denominator is met.

then explain the existence of these just for Summer 2014:
- Lupin the IIIrd: Jigen Daisuke no Bohyou Movie
- Saint Seiya: Legend of Sanctuary Movie
- Barakamon
- Appleseed Alpha OVA
- Bakumatsu Rock
- Free! Eternal Summer
- Glasslip
- Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen
- Tokyo Ghoul
- Shounen Hollywood
- Zankyou no Terror
- Aldnoah.Zero
- Sengoku Basara: Judge End
- Space Dandy 2
- Akame ga Kill!
- Dramatical Murder
- Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
- Ao Haru Ride
- Reply Hamatora
- Love Stage!!
- Sin Strange+
- K: Missing Kings Movie
- Nobunaga Concerto
- Tokyo ESP
- Mushibugyou (2014) OVAs
- Uchuu Kyoudai (Space Brothers): Number Zero Movie
- Initial D the New Movie

And recent and ongoing sports shows:
- Ping Pong
- Yowamushi Pedal
- Haikyuu
- Baby Steps
- Ace of the Diamond
- Abarenbou Rikishi!! Matsutarou (the sumo wrestling show)

I can go on and on, and list counter-examples for the entire year, every year.

So yes, let the facts speak for themselves please.

It is also hypocritical to complain about bishoujo characters and figures when the main character in Under the Dog is a very attractive girl in a sexy outfit. If they really wanted to counter all the trends they (wrongly) percieve, Under the Dog would feature almost all buff dudebros instead.

After all, the huge success of JoJo's Bizarre's Adventure shows the market is not averse to buff crazy and silly fighting dudes.

Last edited by configspace on Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:34 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

Calm down, please. Moe can be a genre. Some genres are determined by their content (science fiction, westerns, etc) while some are determined by the emotional response they produce in the viewer (comedy, horror, tear jerker, etc). Moe creates an emotional response so could easily be classified as a genre.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kabochaone

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:40 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

Moe in 2014 is has become a genre it itself, probably the moe before 2005-2006 was not, but today YES.

Before 05-06, we could very well dig your "moe is a feeling" chant, it was a very OBSUCURE slang noone really knew it existed, "feeling of moe", crazy really Smile, since those obscure times that we did not even know it, it has evolved so that it has become a genre in itself with very clear elements and characteristics, be it by the character designs, by the acts that said character perform, by visual elements, by verbal elements, etc...all thanks to you and your pals that have taken it to such heights. CONGRATULATIONS.

Since it seems you seriously lack perspective and arguments other than "it isn't stupid dickheads", very convincing really, good job, let me help you. Are you a 6 year old kindergarten kid by any chance?

Its has become a genre since we have had countless anime based entirely on moe, everything tailored around it, that is when moe has become a genre in itself, when series revolve entirely or in greater part around it. At must its a duality now, when you have shows revolving around it its definitely a genre, when you have independent instances of some character or SOMETHING, for that matter, generating "feelings of moe", I would not call it a genre for that particular anime if it only has independent elements here and there, in whatever form you wish.

Last edited by kabochaone on Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:04 am; edited 3 times in total
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:41 am Reply with quote
I didn't support this because of the initials CIA, but if Yura can do something different than what common anime has become, I'm all for it.The predictable same ol is getting noticeable quick. Hopefully people take notice.

But (despite my name) cyber punk... really? Its over. The new gen probably won't notice.
kabochaone

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:02 am Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Moe isn't a genre

Well, to be fair, it could be, in the same way that comedy, drama, or action are. Unfortunately it got poisoned by too many people using it as a derogatory catch-all label for literally anything they dislike.

People like me dislike that we see it, feel it in any number of series quite intrusively.

Some of it is ok, normal levesl are ok. Its not fine that most late night anime have to revolve to much around it or fanservice too! or include independent elements for modern otaku to take notice and or not mention consume it in merchandise or discs, even if a series is good and they like it wont spend money if moe OR FANSERVICE, fanservice for me is as bad or worst, is not present.

That is whats is disliked. And that the modern otaku is insatiable toward fanservice and moe and now idol anime, which all have common denominators anyway.

Nice changes like Jojo and Shingeki getting quite the sucess are good, but even Shingeki in the voice of modern otaku had a lot of impact because of Mikasa and how "moe" they feel towards her/is, this kind of moe I am perfectly fine with, thank the heavens we did not see Mikasa moefied in full visual and verbal force to appeal more to japanese modern otaku.

As much as I would love more jojo, more shingekis, more gits, more touchs, there is a limit to how much of the same I can take, I would never love to see, psychological, drama dominate as moe/fanservice does and see it everywhere dominating endless series of the same having common denominator, drama? sure love it but do not wish it to see it everywhere or fans wishing a great number of new series having high doses of drama or physiological, etc, love it, but not in excess.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:16 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
...cyber punk... really? Its over. The new gen probably won't notice.

10,000 people noticed. And will happily hand over their money in two days time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Parse Error

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:50 am Reply with quote
kabochaone wrote:
People like me dislike that we see it, feel it in any number of series quite intrusively.

I can't really trust what people like you claim to see when you consistently pull random nonsense that ranges from hilariously inaccurate to demonstrably false straight out of your rear ends and assert it as fact. What happened to you is that you were watching anime blocks on cable TV and took them as a representative selection of the anime available up to that time, and once you turned to some other source around the mid-2000s and saw what anime is really like, you jumped to the conclusion that some catastrophe had happened recently.

In a way, that wouldn't be entirely wrong from your perspective, but it wasn't because of moe, ecchi, lolis, or otaku. NGE caused a glut of things like psychological thrillers and gritty sci-fi during the late nineties and early 2000s, but that was just an anomaly, a clearly unsustainable bubble from day one. Even during that period though, the ecchi and so-called moe shows were still there, you just weren't being exposed to them. There was no hostile takeover by an external force, anime just returned to its normal state after the inevitable collapse of a fad, around the same time many fans were switching from a heavily filtered selection of anime to an unfiltered one.
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:21 am Reply with quote
These guys are fighting moe so well that they hired the genius behind subversive Senran Kagura to be one of their writers.
I am rolling my eyes at some of the statements they made. Seriously, these people like to call UtD an indie anime. Yeah, a show about a hot chick that shoots a lot of people...you can't get any more underground than that. Not to mention how their PR dude came off as being really condescending to Kick Heart, an anime that can be qualified as indie.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:29 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
These guys are fighting moe so well that they hired the genius behind subversive Senran Kagura to be one of their writers.
I am rolling my eyes at some of the statements they made. Seriously, these people like to call UtD an indie anime. Yeah, a show about a hot chick that shoots a lot of people...you can't get any more underground than that. Not to mention how their PR dude came off as being really condescending to Kick Heart, an anime that can be qualified as indie.

My feelings exactly.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:45 am Reply with quote
5 reports for this thread in less than 30 minutes.

Unfortunately, the posts in question have already been quoted or replied to in great detail.

You people can argue about moe all you want, but cut the condescension and blanket statements.

Any more posts reported as flamebait/trolling beyond this point will be deleted.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8