• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Companies Buy Rights For Territories They Don't Service?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:03 am Reply with quote
MisterLuck wrote:
The problem I have with this. Is it doesn't guarantee us a home video release and/or dub. Which is some serious BS.

I hope these shows get something like Knights of Sidonia did with it's dual audio set through Sentai after it streamed on Netflix. If not I'll be really disappointed since I like owning the stuff I like and Amazon is rich enough to be able to pay for some dubs.

Hopefully they won't be against atleast working with Funi or Sentai to get a physical version out like Netflix did.
darkdeath174

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:40 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Viz uses Hulu for all their streaming. At that point it doesn't matter if Canadian ad rates and the dollar are low (which was CR's excuse for ending free streaming in Canada - I was shocked that never got covered by ANN) given the service only operates in 2 countries. It's been so long that comes across more as a deliberate decision than anything else. Hulu is owned by a consortium of media companies that have longstanding and far reaching deals with Canadian media companies, so it makes sense. Viz could do Canadians a solid and stop lying though:

I'm not sure Amazon plans on expanding their streaming service (which AFAIK uses a subscription-based model with no ads) to Canada anytime soon. We're usually the go to country for US businesses to expand to, but they've chosen a number of other markets over us. To add some weight to that theory, they've sold a few of their original shows to Canadian broadcasters/streaming services. I don't see why they would sell their ammo if they planned on entering the content wars in Canada. You could say, "Well, maybe those Canadian services will license the anime Amazon produces!", except those Canadian services have shown literally no interest in anime. Other than Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Buddyfight and Yo-Kai Watch, there's no anime on TV either.

It's still possible that we might get the show here in Canada, they have at weird partnership with Shomi that not much has happened with.

Tho I don't even know if Shomi has any Anime on their service. If they don't, well I'd say they'd just pass on it.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:49 am Reply with quote
Other than Pokemon, I don't think Shomi or Crave run any anime at all. You're right that Shomi does have a partnership with Amazon, but it appears that's only for shows under the Amazon Studios label. Who knows if their deal with Fuji TV will have shows fall under that.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:44 pm Reply with quote
What I don't get in the streaming regional restriction debates is why some people feel that American companies are obligated to serve every nook and cranny of the world. Something on the lines of "I can't believe Funimation doesn't care about [some far-flung non-North-American country]! Screw them, I'm gonna go watch this show on bootleganimestreamer.com!" I understand that people who want to see something are going to do whatever they can if legal means are unavailable or unaffordable, and I don't blame them for doing so. But is it any surprise that no one wants to stream to places where the potential consumers loudly and routinely announce their eternal allegiances to bootleg streaming sites? Not to mention the unrealistically high expectations those sites set vs. what legal streaming sites who have to actually pay for licensing and other costs can actually achieve.

(Of course, the above doesn't apply to cases where American companies actually do acquire streaming rights to other territories, but choose not to use them as part of some sort of "stockblocking" scheme.)

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Between Amazon's very foundation, its initiative to produce an online art gallery, its opening of brick-and-mortar stores, and its experimental usage of delivery by drone, Amazon's business strategy is to sink huge amounts of money into establishing a market share of something and be patient with making it back. What Amazon's doing with this show fits perfectly in line with its business patterns in the past.
Interestingly enough, it's been argued that Amazon operates as a publicly traded charity:
Quote:

That's because Amazon, as best I can tell, is a charitable organization being run by elements of the investment community for the benefit of consumers. The shareholders put up the equity, and instead of owning a claim on a steady stream of fat profits, they get a claim on a mighty engine of consumer surplus. Amazon sells things to people at prices that seem impossible because it actually is impossible to make money that way. And the competitive pressure of needing to square off against Amazon cuts profit margins at other companies, thus benefiting people who don't even buy anything from Amazon.

It's a truly remarkable American success story. But if you own a competing firm, you should be terrified. Competition is always scary, but competition against a juggernaut that seems to have permission from its shareholders to not turn any profits is really frightening.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:07 am Reply with quote
That would be...very odd. If Amazon works that way, where is it getting the money it needs to have sustained itself for as long as it has?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:11 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
What I don't get in the streaming regional restriction debates is why some people feel that American companies are obligated to serve every nook and cranny of the world.

In case this has not been said enough let me say it loud and clear, we do not care it Funi or Hulu never offer their brand of service outside of the USA (they are not mcdonalds or apple), we would be happy if local alternatives like claro video or even the pathetic blim could carry Attack on Titan, Psycho-Pass, etc; albeit we would prefer other services like viewster, crackle and/or daisuki to carry said catalog because they already have a sizeable anime catalog.

Quote:
But is it any surprise that no one wants to stream to places where the potential consumers loudly and routinely announce their eternal allegiances to bootleg streaming sites?

This was the case in china not so long ago and AFAIK good money is coming from there now. Heck, if you look into the past even the USA was like that (lets not forget crunchy was a bootleg site) at one or more points in time, but no matter the time or place, the easier you make a product to be bought/rented, the smaller the incentive to get a bootleg. Yes I bought the warber jojo dvd because it was available with subtitles at a (locally) affordable price, that would have been a pipe dream ten years ago so we might be greedy but we also want total local streaming availability.

Now I will do as gosunkugi and put a nail in a doll labelled "Funi" Anime hyper
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:57 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
(Of course, the above doesn't apply to cases where American companies actually do acquire streaming rights to other territories, but choose not to use them as part of some sort of "stockblocking" scheme.)

Isn't that exactly what this entire thread is about? The "stockblocking" may not be deliberate, but it'is pretty clear that the US companies are frequently unwilling to work with companies that are able to make titles available to stream in "blind spot" countries.

Primus wrote:
Viz uses Hulu for all their streaming. At that point it doesn't matter if Canadian ad rates and the dollar are low (which was CR's excuse for ending free streaming in Canada - I was shocked that never got covered by ANN)

They did report it, but it wasn't deemed headline worthy and was buried under a bunch of routine CR license announcements.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
The "stockblocking" may not be deliberate,

One really has to wonder if it is not deliberate. Because in business like in war, there is no small enemy. Take the Netflix example, once they were small beans that begged Blockbuster to buy them. Blockbuster neither bought them nor launched their own streaming solution and the results are well known.

Funimation is a company that has at least a decade of history, then out of nowhere comes Crunchyroll and leaves them in the (streaming sites) dust. They must really fear that "small" companies like Daisuko, Viester or Crackle might grow even more if they sell them streaming rights for countries they do not serve. So they are basically doing what blockbuster did, ignoring them in the asinine hope they will go away if they keep doing the stockblocking long enough.

In the meantime they are neither helping their disc business (which would be benefited if Netflix had the english dub or if their shows were streamed legally elsewhere) nor their streaming business (since most of their catalog is in Hulu they do not figure among the top 20 streaming sites in the USA).
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:43 am Reply with quote
Crackle is owned by Sony, so I find it hard to characterize Crackle as "small" under any interpretation of that word.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:29 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Crackle is owned by Sony, so I find it hard to characterize Crackle as "small" under any interpretation of that word.

Viz Media is owned by Shogakukan and Shueisha; that does not mean a branch is as big as the tree trunk.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:30 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

Sony does own Crackle but it's clearly not a division of priority for them. Aniplex doesn't use them as their streaming platform and during The Interview debacle Sony Pictures forgot Crackle existed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4