• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Online Petition Demands Content Warnings for Sexual Violence in Weekly Shonen Jump

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:25 am Reply with quote
Q4000 wrote:
burning_scrub wrote:
If I could resist this insidious influence, I have no reason to believe that the vast majority of people can't do the same. The influence from one's peers dwarfs whatever they get from fiction so absolutely that without hard evidence, I see nothing productive in worrying about fiction turning people bad.

The thing is, it's the teeny tiny minority that puts the vast majority in a bad light. School shootings and violent video games?

Honestly, we can't predict an individual's behavior presented with the same stimuli as everybody else. There will always be outliers and exceptions to the general trend. That is the problem.

Yes, media is not a cause for deviant behavior, and people with such behavior tends to have mental health issues. That is correct. And because they have mental health issues, the media they consume may have a greater (or worse) effect on them as compared to mentally-sound people.

One thing WSJ may do is to reassess their target audience. If they are still primarily targeting elementary-aged kids, their standards should be focused there, and not on the older readers. If they decide to pivot to the older readers, then they realign their standards to that demographic. Whichever they choose to do (or not do), will always have consequences to their entire readership.

Jump is for everyone. There always a series that filled an audience niche. Should Jump kick out the ecchi manga? Or should it kick out the gag manga? The reason jump success is because it has something for everyone.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:59 am Reply with quote
Peebs wrote:
All of you who missed the point of the petition, should ask a woman how she feels about this.

Biologically born woman here, hello. I can say that I half agree and disagree with this petition. Personally; I knew it was fiction with non consent stuff because I looked up online forums which someone told "never do that with IRL but keep it only in fantasy". It was years ago so the internet didn't have many people who don't know the difference between fiction and reality like a lot of teenagers I see today.

The parts I do agree is how a lot of media (not just with jump) do have a lot of male characters act with non-consenting actions. That's why they said "We Boys Are Not Wolves" makes me glad that they are knowing this. I hate the saying "Boys will be boys" as I feel its a strong excuse of them to act a certain way. Yup, I hate toxic masculinity as I feel men should be able to express their emotions such as crying and showing sensitivity. I know that a lot of shounen jump is looked at with children. I was surprised when I was reading a CLAMP interview on why they had to tone down the amount of cuss words because they had those under 12 read TRC. However, I do disaree about the parts about the ecchi stuff like the accidently walking to a female character changing because its suppose to never happen. Its those cliches that only happen in anime/manga. That's why there's so many sh*t posts and videos of "stuff that will never happen IRL". A lot of early teenagers know this too. As much as I believe anti-censorship, we do need better age ratings.

Hellsoldier wrote:
Summed Up:

1 - Sex Education, for a variety of reasons, needs to improve, be expanded, and last more than just a couple of years.
2 - People should write the manga they feel like, but warnings between chapters, as pointed out before me, may not be a bad idea.
3 - And perhaps definitely, a early teen-oriented manga magazine may not be the best place for said content. A slightly older audience, though, seems fine.

This.^ I was thinking all of this too.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:58 am Reply with quote
Why not just give people choice. If you don't like sexual violence & non-consensual sex in fictional show, then don't read/watch yourself, and let people who like that watch/read it. Thats better than being selfish and force your opinion on others by banning it to everyone.

Why non-sexual violence in fiction is okay, but sexual violence is not okay. I have not see anyone giving me any good reason for that. All I hear "it just not okay" or "it is disturbing" etc. Those are very subjective reason. No evidence that sexual violence or non-consensual sex in fiction would make make people do that that in real life.

Also, what about non-consensual sex woman on man (man not giving consent) or man on man. I have not see any complains about this. Most of the complains are when it is man on woman for some reason.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:12 am Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:

I don't see many kids fighting on the streets with a katana , jumping from buildings because the think they could flight, shooting or beating each otter to dead in tournaments..

Nobody's saying media can make you believe things that are obviously impossible are suddenly possible. What they're saying is that the framing of an action can influence how people perceive similar actions in the real world. Teens reading Dragonball probably won't go out and flip skirts to emulate Master Roshi, but when somebody else does flip a skirt or grope a girl, it can offer a frame of reference where they see it as just a harmless prank instead of sexual harassment or assault. Or it can influence them to dismiss the girl being upset as her overreacting. THAT is where media routinely and consistently portraying nonconsensual sexual acts as funny or harmless or attractive becomes a problem, especially when standardized sex ed so rarely covers the topic of consent.

Also for an example of how this isn't just limited to sex or young people, here's former Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia citing the TV show 24 as evidence of US Torture Policy being morally necessary:
Quote:
Jack Bauer saved Los Angeles. ... He saved hundreds of thousands of lives. Are you going to convict Jack Bauer? Say that criminal law is against him?"
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:43 am Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
Summed Up:

1 - Sex Education, for a variety of reasons, needs to improve, be expanded, and last more than just a couple of years.
2 - People should write the manga they feel like, but warnings between chapters, as pointed out before me, may not be a bad idea.
3 - And perhaps definitely, a early teen-oriented manga magazine may not be the best place for said content. A slightly older audience, though, seems fine.

THIS!! I agree with this so much. Have an older version of the magazine with that content.or ratings and such. Now that I think about it, its such an easy thing, but I can see how "sex sells" and all that from the companies won't make it easy.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I would say at the very least better warnings on manga would be fine. Doing that in no way changes the manga or prevents the material from being consumed by readers. There is no real reason to not support that part as it does not "change" anything really. It just provides better warnings so a reader knows what is in the material. Then at the very least if someone does read it and does not like it they cannot claim they had no idea.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I think this is honestly a fantastic idea.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Hellsoldier wrote:
Summed Up:

THIS!! I agree with this so much. Have an older version of the magazine with that content.or ratings and such. Now that I think about it, its such an easy thing, but I can see how "sex sells" and all that from the companies won't make it easy.

But they already did? Young Jump and Ultra Jump are still a thing. The fanservice in those magazines range from tame to borderline hentai. The fanservices in shounen jump are in the tamer side.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Then I guess they aren't doing a good job? Take that To-Love-Ru example from the article. I guess it should have been in Ultra Jump and not in the Weekly one.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
Whenever I looked at it, I always thought I would be horrified to grow up as a kid in Japan having To Love-Ru advertised to me. So... this is kind of satisfying?

The version of To Love-Ru that ran in Jump was PG-13 at worst. Nipples were only added for the tankōbon editions, and it was nowhere near as racy as Darkness, which was in a seinen magazine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:03 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
The version of To Love-Ru that ran in Jump was PG-13 at worst. Nipples were only added for the tankōbon editions, and it was nowhere near as racy as Darkness, which was in a seinen magazine.

Not actually true. To-Love-Ru Darkness ran in Jump Square, which is simply the monthly sister magazine to Weekly Shonen Jump, and is technically just as "shonen" in terms of demographic; in fact, it's predecessor was literally called Monthly Shonen Jump. It's just that, historically, monthly-serialized shonen manga magazines have always been given more leeway than their weekly counterparts, so they are more likely to include more violence, gore, & sexuality than what you'd see in the weekly magazine.

I don't know why that is exactly, but I'd guess that it's a mix of not appearing as often (1x/month, rather than 4x/month) & generally not having the same readership as their sister magazines, so there's less of a chance at backlash happening.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:37 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:

Nobody's saying media can make you believe things that are obviously impossible are suddenly possible. What they're saying is that the framing of an action can influence how people perceive similar actions in the real world. Teens reading Dragonball probably won't go out and flip skirts to emulate Master Roshi, but when somebody else does flip a skirt or grope a girl, it can offer a frame of reference where they see it as just a harmless prank instead of sexual harassment or assault. Or it can influence them to dismiss the girl being upset as her overreacting. THAT is where media routinely and consistently portraying nonconsensual sexual acts as funny or harmless or attractive becomes a problem, especially when standardized sex ed so rarely covers the topic of consent.

Also for an example of how this isn't just limited to sex or young people, here's former Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia citing the TV show 24 as evidence of US Torture Policy being morally necessary:
Quote:
Jack Bauer saved Los Angeles. ... He saved hundreds of thousands of lives. Are you going to convict Jack Bauer? Say that criminal law is against him?"

I was giving a exaggerate example. But what I mean in response to the poster is if ecchi manga are bad because can influence behavior, violence in manga have the same problem so should have the same treatment as ecchi in manga and have a Content Warning.

But if someone justify behavior using a manga here nonconsensual sexual acts are portrait as funny or harmless, that person really have problems. A normal person like 99,99% of jump readers know what is reality and what is fantasy or played for laughs. A normal person don't go emulating what he or she read in manga or justify his or hers behavior because of what is in the manga. Of course there are very few people that can do that, but those people already have problems, even if they don't read manga.

Anyway, I don't believe this petition going anywhere,
Sex sells, sexy girls and boys sells, fan-service sells and is what most Jump readers look for and expect is this kind of manga. There are plenty of examples of authors adding more fan-service and ecchi in their series when the ratings are going down to avoid been axed. So this things in manga will continue as long there are audience for them. And by the looks of it, thing will continue like this for many years.

And this kind of comedy is also common in real life
Just watch this comedy show about the guy looking at his sister boobs and talking about it with his friends and telling how beautiful they are, and even telling a story when his friend, by accident, happen to see his sister sleeping with a boob out of her shirt.
Japanese comedian Meshida work in Tokyo and some of his shows are for tourists in English and also have a youtube channel in English and English subs.
Link:
Hentai Rakugo “My Sister’s Boobs” | Japanese sit down comedy (変態落語)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRavEtAU9kE

And about the skirt flipping:
There are even skirt flipping calendars selling in amazon Japan
Link:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-language/product/B00O2NCLFS/ref=dp_change_lang?ie=UTF8&language=en_JP

So this kind of comedy are not going anywhere.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:55 pm Reply with quote
OceanwaveIII wrote:
so yeah no gag humor with sexual jokes is not disappearing from Japanese media. . a small group of signature on change .dot org is not a social movement or a trend lol.

Maybe read what you're repying to? I literally wrote "it'll probably take a while", never said it's going to disappear tomorrow (unfortunately).

This is, by the way, not the first such initiative, as I also refered in my post. A couple of years ago, a similar criticism was launched at Shonen Jump due to a particularly racy color illustration of Yuuna-san that appeared on the magazine. The objections were very similar to what is seen in this petition, namely the trivialization of sexual assault and normalizing it as funny and sexy, especially in a magazine that is read by very young children and teenagers.

And it is a trend, because it is very clearly rooted in the MeToo movement which has brought larger criticism to sexual harrassment in Japan. And people are starting to look beyond surface level solutions, see what really needs to change so men don't grow up thinking molesting teenage girls from your bicycle is a funny hobby you can coyly brag about. Shonen Jump and other shonen manga magazines are not the root of the problem, but it has a massive influence on a huge portion of Japan's youth and it needs to take responsibility for that. Change won't happen overnight, but it will happen, sooner or later.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:11 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
see what really needs to change so men don't grow up thinking molesting teenage girls from your bicycle is a funny hobby you can coyly brag about.

I know it is unfashionable in these days, but men don't become rapists and sexual assault children because of what they read, watch, or listen too. They do so because they are evil.

Evil because they think they have the right to do so. Our societies operate on the delusional belief that young teenagers don't understand right and wrong. But they do.

Books, video, and music don't need additional warnings on them, that is what ratings are for. You can debate the effectiveness of ratings all you want. But that is what they are there for. Adults don't need their books, videos, mangas, and CDs looking like poison pills, the way the EU dresses their cigarettes.

I am not saying that young children (young children, not teenagers) won't be effected by adult themes, but they shouldn't be reading reading them anyway.

Also, books, manga, and video are not the things you should be worried about anyway. Access to children are controlled to some degree. What you should be more worried about is unfettered internet access.

More and more young children are getting smart phones with full internet access. Even tablets with full internet access. Most parents are not monitoring their child's access or history, and not even bothering to use the most basic of filters. Which is useless anyway, as kids and their friends have work arounds. Parents are using tablets as babysitters or something that will keep their kids quiet. They don't care what their kids are doing, as long as they are not being bothered.

So many people are worried that books and manga are destroying our children, and no one cares that many children under 13 are data mining the internet for all they are worth.

My grandchildren under 10 years of age have smart phones, and access to hand me down tablets. The only control that I see is eyeballs, but what happens when the eyeballs aren't watching, or their friends in school tell them about the best'est site ever.

Last edited by TarsTarkas on Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:51 pm Reply with quote
stefand wrote:
Everyone who, wants to regulate manga in some way should take a look at what happened to american comics after the 50s (https://www.vox.com/2014/12/15/7326605/comic-book-censorship, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comics_Code_Authority). One of the reasons, why manga developed in a so much more free, creative and diverse way than comics in the US, might be the censorship that happened there after an imense paranoia, that comics would corrupt the youth.
So, yes, some regulation might be necessary in some cases, but please be always aware, that too much regulation can strangle a medium.

Teenager (at least the male part, can't spek for the other) will always search for sexual content. Better they find it in manga then in the internet.

In any case parents should not expect media like manga to educate their children.

As a former comic fan, I have to agree. These talking points are the exact same thing that happened with comic books over their lifetime until they became what they are today. A lot of self-sabotage and repeatedly shooting themselves in the foot until the medium is on its deathbed. Although I'm sure that's something certain people would love to happen to manga.

TarsTarkas wrote:
Also, books, manga, and video are not the things you should be worried about anyway. Access to children are controlled to some degree. What you should be more worried about is unfettered internet access.

More and more young children are getting smart phones with full internet access. Even tablets with full internet access. Most parents are not monitoring their child's access or history, and not even bothering to use the most basic of filters. Which is useless anyway and tablets as babysitters or something that will keep their kids quiet. They don't care what their kids are doing, as long as they are not being bothered.

So many people are worried that books and manga are destroying our children, and no one cares that many children under 13 are data mining the internet for all they are worth.

Instagram and Tiktok are full of borderline child pornography and adults grooming underage kids but that seems to be overlooked entirely, either out of technological ignorance or willful spite. Rather than say kids will be desensitized and think flipping skirts is okay because they saw a manga character do it, maybe people should look at apps that promote and reward 12 year old girls who twerk their butts half naked for men on the internet are conditioning kids into doing this kind of stuff. I'm betting Tiktok has more global reach than Weekly Shounen Jump does.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7