• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Last 6 Minutes of Unaired Code Geass R2 Episode Leaked

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I guess all those YouTube links were legitimate and not rockrolls. Laughing Doesn't matter since I haven't even started R2 yet...

craziplaya21 wrote:
lol... knowing Taniguchi and what he did with R1 of Geass. I wouldn't be surprised if the last few eps of R2 gets pushed back several months due to lack of dedicated slots for the series because he pushed ep3 back 2 weeks.

R1's series scheduling was horrid. 25 scheduled slots for 25 episodes... and then he had to sneak in 2 unplanned recap episodes and push ep24-25 into the summer. This is likely to happen again with R2, it seems

As much as the scheduling for the first season sucked I still blame MBS/TBS for airing the (incorrectly) panned and scanned version during an HD timeslot, that decision made absolutely no sense. Rolling Eyes
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:14 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I think its stupid to change it just because it was leaked ahead of time. They should already have planned out how the series will flow and changing that could have a significant impact.

Have you planned how to distribute your belongings if you die tomorrow? It would be reasonable to do so if you are ailing on a sick bed or about to face a grave danger (going to a battlefield, for example), but it would be rather weird if you are a healthy individual living in a peaceful small town. But who knows? Maybe you can get chocked by a meatball; maybe you can get hit by a bus with its break out of order (like in spoiler[Kimi ga Nozomu Eien]), or step on your shoelace while walking on stairs. It's like preparing food and water for a post-apocalyptic world if a meteor strikes the Earth tomorrow.

Leaking simply should NOT happen. Period. And according to Sanctuary, you have a typical American mind: if your products have a 5% rate of defect you'd produce 105 units in order to get 100 workable ones, but a Japanese would work on eliminating that 5% to 1% or less.

How on earth is comparing a person's unexpected death at all decently analogous to a currently running cartoon show not being fleshed out for its run? And what does that 'typical American mind' comment have to do with anything, other then giving us another dose of 'Nippon Banzai!! Americans stupid!!!' around here. Something about 'Code Geass' just plain brings out some wacky stuff.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I think the point dormcat was attempting to illustrate is that it is unreasonable to assume Sunrise planned for contingencies in which an unaired episode was leaked, with regards to writing Code Geass' story. This is true, I think, as it doesn't make sense for a studio to write two potential paths for a story to follow simultaneously.

Moral of the story: Sunrise needs to tighten up security. Man, I hope the final episodes don't end up being delayed...
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
I think the point dormcat was attempting to illustrate is that it is unreasonable to assume Sunrise planned for contingencies in which an unaired episode was leaked, with regards to writing Code Geass' story. This is true, I think, as it doesn't make sense for a studio to write two potential paths for a story to follow simultaneously.

Moral of the story: Sunrise needs to tighten up security. Man, I hope the final episodes don't end up being delayed...

I understand that entertainment companies usually don't plan for 'leaks' of that manner, but the point of the poster he quoted was that re-writing a planned series flow over one early leak would seem to be over-kill, unless they (the creators) were cooking it up on the fly. And expecting professional writers to have a clear fix on where there going with an in-production show isn't very analogous to a person dying unexpectedly. Thats also not said with malice (towards dormcat in my previous post), I just see it as an oddly far-flung analogy.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Flou wrote:
The 2ch news bit doesn't have an official source behind it as far as we can tell, but the part about the employee being arrested rather than sued sounds fishy.

Speaking in generalities: Suing in the Japanese court system is a long, expensive, and unrewarding process. Rarely do the Japanese courts award significant damages as the tort system does not have a jury -- leaving the judge more or less free to determine damages based on proven losses. Awarding money for emotional damages is generally minimal at best, and damages would be awarded *years* after the fact.

For example: animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2003-09-13
This is a good summary of the Candy Candy copyright case. Candy Candy was immensely popular 70s manga (and later TV) series, and the author (who was seeking to claim copyright over the series) won $250k after roughly 5 years. A similar lawsuit in America could easily be millions of dollars and be awarded much more quickly.

Still, I'm surprised this happened, as I don't recall any prior time where a TV anime was leaked before (on VHS or the internet).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:46 am Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:
I understand that entertainment companies usually don't plan for 'leaks' of that manner, but the point of the poster he quoted was that re-writing a planned series flow over one early leak would seem to be over-kill, unless they (the creators) were cooking it up on the fly.

The first DVD/BD release is as late as August 22, which is about two months slower than most other TV series that release their first DVD/BD about three months after the first episode broadcasted. I'm not sure how well prepared the production staff are, but there's still time to do an overhaul, and I wouldn't be too surprised if they really cook it up on the fly like Evangelion.

cookie wrote:
Still, I'm surprised this happened, as I don't recall any prior time where a TV anime was leaked before (on VHS or the internet).

Leaking the plot even in pure text format is a serious violation of non-disclosure / confidentiality agreements. As for the motives, well, there are always people doing stupid (sometimes even criminal) things and then submit the video to YouTube or whatnot, wishing it becoming the next Jackass movie. Some people are just stupid and want to be famous than anything else. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:16 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
like Evangelion.

Haha, I guess that always is a possibility. More fuel for the fanboy fires.

With regard to the arrest, though, I can't say I'm surprised that this is the course of action Sunrise chose to pursue, if lawsuits really are as painful as cookie makes them out to be. It isn't entirely unreasonable either, as the guy behind the leak violated copyright and non-disclosure agreements on a hot property -- whatever happens to him, I doubt the consequences will be as severe as the initial arrest suggests, anyway, which is probably for the best.

The only thing I'm upset about is the potential delay of future episodes. I haven't watched the leak, and I don't see why you could possibly want to if you're a fan, so this is unfortunate.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:11 am Reply with quote
Well, damn, that meens Gundam 00: The second raid will be punted back a week at best.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:12 am Reply with quote
If they do remake episode 3 or 4, they'll probably add the original version in the DVD version.
headpower

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:52 am Reply with quote
cookie wrote:

Leaking the plot even in pure text format is a serious violation of non-disclosure / confidentiality agreements. As for the motives, well, there are always people doing stupid (sometimes even criminal) things and then submit the video to YouTube or whatnot, wishing it becoming the next Jackass movie. Some people are just stupid and want to be famous than anything else. Rolling Eyes

Actually the plot from ep 2-5 was leaked on 2chan as soon as ep1 aired, and after watching ep2 and the leaked part of ep3 and the preview for ep4 of that leaked footage, it is exactly same as the text plot so i say sunrise failed miserably at trying to keep everyhitng in tact. I mean gundam 00 plot was leaked at least a month before it was aired.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:49 am Reply with quote
Official Code Geass Website wrote:
「コードギアス 反逆のルルーシュR2」
第3話の映像の誤操作による漏出について

2008年4月15日17時頃、インターネット上の動画投稿サイトに、放送前の「コードギアス 反逆のルルーシュR2」 第3話の映像の一部が、漏出するトラブルが発生しました。
調査の結果、本番組のインターネット配信を担当するバンダイチャンネルが、不正投稿を防止する作業の過程でシステムの操作を誤り、当該映像をインターネット上にアップロードさせてしまったことが判明しました。

放送を楽しみにお待ちいただいた方には、ご心配、ご迷惑をおかけいたしまして大変申し訳ありません。今後、二度とこのようなことが無いよう十分に注意して作業を進めてまいります。
第3話は、予定通り4月20日(日)17時に放送を行いますので、今しばらくお待ちください。
これからも「コードギアス 反逆のルルーシュR2」の応援をよろしくお願いいたします。

コードギアス製作委員会

An operational error of Bandai Channel and that's it? So basically nothing will change... Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:01 am Reply with quote
Dormcat (or anyone who can read that), care to translate that for the rest of us?

I'd really like to know what that says.

edit: I babelfished it here are the results

Babelfish wrote:
About leaking out which is due to the operational error of image "of ルルーシュ R2 3rd story of コードギアス rebellion" Around 2008 April 15th 17 o'clock, in the animated picture contribution sight on Internet, portion of image "of ルルーシュ R2 before the broadcasting 3rd story of コードギアス rebellion" occurred, the trouble which leaks out. The result of investigation, the Bandai channel which takes charge of Internet transmission of production group, operation of the system making error and particular image upload on Internet was ascertained with process of the work of preventing illegality contribution. We assuming worry and annoyance, very much there is no excuse in the one which broadcast in the pleasure to wait it receives. That in the future, two degrees there is no this kind of thing, noting sufficiently, it starts advancing job. Because 3rd story broadcasts according to schedule April 20th (day) at 17 o'clock, now please wait for a while. We ask the support "of ルルーシュ R2 of コードギアス rebellion" may even from now on. コードギアス production commission
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:07 am Reply with quote
BladeDragoonZETA wrote:
Dormcat (or anyone who can read that), care to translate that for the rest of us?

I'd really like to know what that says.

Basically: the show is streamed on the Bandai channel website. Some wires got crossed and episode 3 got streamed WAY early. (people can rip the streams easily like you can rip youtube).

Frankly it could still be foul play if someone purposefully uploaded the wrong episode or switched the links, but that would be VERY hard to prove unless you were logging keystrokes or something on the bandai channel operators.
headpower

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:25 am Reply with quote
so it was a streaming error, then how did 2chan get this production staff guy leaked it out and got arrested by police. lol internet is sick.
Zoe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:47 am Reply with quote
headpower wrote:
so it was a streaming error, then how did 2chan get this production staff guy leaked it out and got arrested by police. lol internet is sick.

Lots of insiders post to 2ch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5