• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Most Misleading Anime Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:51 pm Reply with quote
What's Misleading about Pumpkin Scissors? It's the name of their unit. that's like saying Black Lagoon is misleading.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
snickersnack wrote:
I myself have always wondered why Bleach was called Bleach, though I hold out hope that at the end of the series, all the characters will get together and open a laundromat.

Great List! Thanks for the laughs, Lynzee!

That question was actually answered in a Q&A with Kubo. He said (Forgive me, I'm paraphrasing from memory) he wanted to have a title that was the opposite of "black," but thought that "white" was too obvious and bland, so for some reason he transitioned from there to something that makes things white; i.e. bleach. It didn't make any more sense to me then than it does now, but there you go.
Fun fact: "black" is cognate with "bleach" and a whole host of languages' words for "white".
Quote:
make the cut. Now I grant you, I only skimmed the first chapter and lost interest, but the title itself was so bizarre to me I couldn't fathom how it corresponded at all to the series.
It's quite clear actually(though it might've been explained in a later chapter): spoiler[Samidare wants to destroy the world so it won't outlive her - she's the eponymous "Lucifer"]. Both the Japanese titles translate to "Samidare's World" or such.
Quote:
Other honorable mentions that, as far as I know, lack a straightforward explanation for their titles (Please note I'm not trying to be belittling of the series. Many of them I enjoy, I just find their names weird or ridiculous):

Boogiepop Phantom
Isn't Boogiepop a name in that series?
Quote:
S-Cry-Ed
Apparently this one's connected to spoiler[Kanami's alter](late show spoiler).
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
What's Misleading about Pumpkin Scissors? It's the name of their unit. that's like saying Black Lagoon is misleading.

But Black Lagoon is misleading because anime fans will think the Gill-man is the main character of that series Laughing :

Anyway Pumpkin Scissor is misleading because people that didn't read the synopsis/summary of that anime will think it involve a pumpkin and a scissor.

Also I know some other anime titles that are misleading, Bleach I would agree and XXXholic (like sainta said) is also misleading, there are other anime I thought were misleading:

Fruit Basket: Now I know that title is a play on a certain game. But it's misleading because people that aren't familiar with this game will think it's a anime that talk about a basket of fruit. Also fruit basket is also a sexual slang for this NSFW part, so that could disapoint some ecchi anime fan that don't watch non-ecchi anime.

One Piece: title is misleading because people will think the anime involve one piece swimsuit even without reading the plot or doing research on that anime/manga.

Darker than Black: non-anime fans will think this is a blaxploitation anime, when there is no African-American characters nor cliches from that genre found in the anime.

Black Blood Brothers: just like Darker than black, non-anime fans will think this is another blaxploitation anime. Black Blood Brothers does not have any African-American character nor any blaxploitation cliches.

Last edited by mdo7 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
eurotrip1986 wrote:
Zombie loans title isnt misleading, unless your some idiot that think the manga or anime would be about actually renting the undead lol.

You do realize we're talking about anime, right? Anime, where a series can be about a duck who longs to be a ballerina, or include sentient bread that commits suicide. An anime in which people rented out zombies for various purposes doesn't really sound that far-fetched. Actually, it sounds like an interesting premise, and I expect to see it animated any day now.

As for I My Me! Strawberry Eggs, I was not so puzzled by the Strawberry Eggs as I was by the I My Me! part.

I sort of think Geobreeders is misleading, since it's not about whatever it is you think geobreeders should be doing, and I can think of a number of things, none of which includes girl security agents battling phantom cats who can drive tanks, among other things. If they explained the title, I forgot during all the mayhem. Smile
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:34 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
v1cious wrote:

But Black Lagoon is misleading because anime fans will think the Gill-man is the main character of that series Laughing :

Cause people will think CREATURE from the Black Lagoon perhaps?
underlock

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

It's not like I used to think of Blue Lagoon before watching Black Lagoon. Wink

Man that movie was awful, but it was on like 4 afternoons per year, and was I bored during those hours.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Fruits Basket is an uncommon game? I remember playing it all the time as a kid.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Fruits Basket is an uncommon game? I remember playing it all the time as a kid.

I've never play or heard of that game when I was a kid and no I'm not being sarcastic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nargun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:38 am Reply with quote
"Haganai" is without a doubt the stupidest anime title ever seriously proposed for english-language use: it's stupid even in the original japanese [it's formed by taking the original kana only, somewhat akin to renaming nausicaa of the valley of wind Oftheof] and transliterating it just makes it sillier.

Also I keep reading it as Haganah, but I expect that's just me.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:02 am Reply with quote
I am pretty damn sure that poll from last week was just a popularity contest rather than evaluating the value of last season's anime for conversion into live action. I mean, converting Sword Art Online can certainly result in an interesting show, but that doesn't mean the show is going to be decent or anyway watchable. Have any of you guys seen how terrible anime character outfits look when they are worn by real life actors? To be fair, Sword Art Online has fairly decent and not-over-the-top character outfits, but then it encounters the problem of acting out the boss fights. How is the real life actor going to pull off those super fast chain combo that Kirito pulled off in the anime? If the actor is going to do that then he must be prepared to break a few bone joints in the process.

I personally felt that an anime that is as far away from fantasy was the best way to go. There were only a few of them in the list, but only Tari Tari made it near the top.
torinostu351

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:05 am Reply with quote
I am unable to participate in the current poll until Tsubasa Cat from Bakemonogatari is added. Shame.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Do English-release titles count? If so, there's Neo-Tokyo, an anthology film from three well-known anime directors of the 1980's. The film has nothing to do with Tokyo or the fictionalized future city in Akira (1988). The film went under "Manie Manie" in Japan.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I love columns like these. Misleading Anime titles oh boy.

Yeah, that title I, Me, My Strawberry Eggs was an odd title. I think some while back someone tried to decipher it. Bubble Gum crisis of course was another that for years in HS and after no one could figure that title out. Eventually they started slowly figuring it out. Of course it had nothing to do with bubble gum. Well, here's my list.

Appleseed - For years I'd known people that could not for the life of them figure out why that title was chosen. They did mention the possibility of Johnny Appleseed, but never got anywhere.

Strawberry Marshmallow - Why that title? That's up there with the strawberry eggs deal.

AI City - It's an OLDY. I've only seen the feature raw at a screening back when I was in HS. The question folks had on their mind was why was it called "ai" city. Plus, since the setting was in the future did they mean A. I. as in artificial intelligence.

Dragon's Heaven - There were no dragons in that film. I'm assuming the dragon was the robot, and all that Mobius.

More Shirow, how about

Black Magic M-66 - On the Japanese video box cover in small print "katakana" it says M (Mario)- 66. Black Magic M-66 is one my favorite OS flicks. This was another "why the HELL" was this film called that? The title says Black Magic M-66 but there's NO magic. Thing is the android was called M-66. The issue with this film sort of relies with Shirow as it is sort of a nod to his manga 'Black Magic" while at the same time being an experiment one that he directed himself. In the manga while being a prototype for Appleseed, the androids featured resemble M-66 by design. The difference was that the androids often had multiple limbs. Shirow stated in an interview (in an issue of Appleseed published by DH's Studio Proteus) that the 2nd android (in the anime the one referred to as M-66 F6, was supposed to have multiple limbs. But since it would've been difficult to animate they omitted idea.

I wonder if Higurashi would count as a misleading title. As after watching it you'd wonder why the title was called "when cicadas cry". Talk about lost in translation. Laughing Surprised
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Higurashi is actually quite clear, regardless of the original title (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni), or the translation (When the cicadas cry).

Cicadas "cry" for a very short period of time. While the title may not explain the events that happen during the course of the series, the title is very specific: it occurs during that time period "when the cicadas cry". Which, after the first couple of arcs, you should have figured out that it's a groundhog's day type thing, repeating the same time period.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:32 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Higurashi is actually quite clear, regardless of the original title (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni), or the translation (When the cicadas cry).

Cicadas "cry" for a very short period of time. While the title may not explain the events that happen during the course of the series, the title is very specific: it occurs during that time period "when the cicadas cry". Which, after the first couple of arcs, you should have figured out that it's a groundhog's day type thing, repeating the same time period.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6