• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Use Eden of the East's Original Opening Song

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Japan should stop using foreign songs. Creator's intent my arse. Foreign groups just taking advantage. Next thing we know, it'd be Britney Spears. Laughing
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:39 am Reply with quote
Crystalyn wrote:
Siegel Clyne wrote:

Can anyone from FUNimation explain Minna's insert song replacement in Episode 8 of Strike Witches?

Adam Sheehan from Funimation explained this during the FuniCon 3.0 online panel last week. Although I can't remember all the specific details, the song is an old German song and they tried very hard but just couldn't get the rights to use it. Unfortunately, the panel was not recorded (accidentally), so the full explanation isn't going to be up on YouTube like Funimation's other FuniCon panels. But that's the general gist of it.

BBAMAJAM - Sensei Says - FUNiCon 3.0 (Live Blog)

Quote:
Adam Shehan & Justin Rojas host.

They'll cover trailers, questions, & more.

~224 Viewers

---------------------------------------

7:05 EST

Q. Why was the German song removed from FUNimation's release of Strike Witches?

A: Lili Marleen, German Love Song, cut from Strike Witches due to lack of North American rights.

Twitter / FUNimation:

Quote:
@JTrocks9 Lili Marleen was cut because we don't have the North American rights to the song. ;(
6:51 AM Mar 31st via web in reply to JTrocks9

funimation
FUNimation

Ah, that's too bad...

With words by German school teacher Hans Leip and music by German composer Norbert Schultze and popularized by German singer Lale Andersen, "Lili Marleen" became popular with both German and Allied troops during World War II. This sad song about parted lovers during wartime struck a common chord with soldiers on both sides of the war...

Which makes its omission from the North American Region 1 DVD release of Strike Witches all the more unfortunate...

One can listen to the insert song and full song versions of "Lili Marleen" sung in Japanese by Rie Tanaka aka Minna Dietlinde Wilcke, as well as in German, English, Italian and a variety of other languages by Lale Andersen, Marlene Dietrich, et al.

Just google it.
lough23

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:50 am Reply with quote
Such a great band and song fits perfect with the opening
Raikuro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:14 am Reply with quote
I just watched the first 2 episodes streaming on Funi's site, and I didn't hear the Oasis song. They better have not gone through the trouble of getting that opening just to cram it into the extras section, if they really even got it at all...
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:22 am Reply with quote
Hah, you're right. They play some other song instead of "Falling Down".

It would be pretty funny if FUNi announced they could get the song and not even have it playing during the intro.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:54 am Reply with quote
according to animenewsnetwork.com/convention/2010/funimation-industry-panel
Quote:
Morris confirmed that the music rights for the Eden of The East opening, sung by Oasis, could only be acquired for the first episode; subsequent episodes will not have the original opening song attached.

I guess they started streaming before this was all finalized. I wonder if they'll update the first episode with the Oasis OP later.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:36 am Reply with quote
Or maybe they're only allowed to use it on the DVDs/BDs. That whole situation is whacky, so I wouldn't doubt it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dragonpiece

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:24 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
according to animenewsnetwork.com/convention/2010/funimation-industry-panel
Quote:
Morris confirmed that the music rights for the Eden of The East opening, sung by Oasis, could only be acquired for the first episode; subsequent episodes will not have the original opening song attached.

I guess they started streaming before this was all finalized. I wonder if they'll update the first episode with the Oasis OP later.

I hope so, if not, I will wait for a later release of the series.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:48 am Reply with quote
I'm going to guess that Funimation only has the rights to include it with the first episode on DVD. If you want to hear it, you need to pay for it. If the rights holders are this concerned about including it on the DVDs, they sure as hell aren't going to be happy about streaming it to millions of people for free.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5