• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Navarre to Decide on Selling Funimation in 2 Quarters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
takimaki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:10 pm Reply with quote
not sure about the US market for syndication is, though here in oz, both fta tv and paytv virtually killed the product, how many versions of the show do you need???

there is 4:3, reimaged 16:9 presentation, then the dragon boxes which is the original 4:3 Japanese masters, then you got dbz kai which cuts out all the bs that the original release had,,

the question i got is how many more times are they going to milk the dbz cash cow it's already at a saturation point now,,,

flooding the markiet with 4 versions of the same title and 1 abridged version with a slightly different name is way overkill imo...

Last edited by takimaki on Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sima Yi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:20 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Sima Yi wrote:
I certainly hope that FUNimation's new parent company doesn't mess with their release schedule. It would be awfully cruel to announce new Hellsing Ultimate and Black Lagoon OVAs for North America only to have them shelved due forced restructuring or something like that.

This is what "discontinued" operation means - Funimation is running on its own set of books. Since it ran a profit last quarter, there's no reason why it should face any problems keeping to its current release schedule.

It's only in discontinued operation because Navarre says so, yes? Well if FUNimation gets a new parent company then that company would be the one deciding the ultimate fate of FUNi, yes? Last time I checked, subsidiaries don't exactly have the luxury of simply ignoring their parent companies. This is why I am concerned. FUNimation could be sold to a corporation which has little interest in anime outside of the gigantic big sellers like Dragon Ball Z and Naruto which could affect the more niche titles in FUNimation's catalogue.
takimaki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:31 pm Reply with quote
the only co i know of with tacks that could buy funi that would be sony or disney, personally we don't want disney touching as they got a habit sitting on rights before releasing a thing...

trust me viacom would be no friend to have funi unless you want air time on broadcasting networks and rental.

sales to general public they wouldn't know what to do with..

Last edited by takimaki on Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Sima Yi wrote:
It's only in discontinued operation because Navarre says so, yes? Well if FUNimation gets a new parent company then that company would be the one deciding the ultimate fate of FUNi, yes?

Yes. And as was reported here at ANN when it was announced that Funimation was up for sale, this is not a fire sale ~ if Navarre does not get the right buyer at the right price, they've said they won't sell.

Quote:
Last time I checked, subsidiaries don't exactly have the luxury of simply ignoring their parent companies. This is why I am concerned.

But they'll have a say on whether a prospective buyer is attractive ... prior to the sale is when they have substantial leverage.

Quote:
FUNimation could be sold to a corporation which has little interest in anime outside of the gigantic big sellers like Dragon Ball Z and Naruto which could affect the more niche titles in FUNimation's catalogue.

Independently of what they've already said ... why would a corporation that was only interested in big tent pole titles by willing to pay a price to Navarre that makes it worth selling Funimation? If the buyer does not intend to take full advantage of Funimation's present operation, they couldn't expect to get the full commercial benefit of that operation.
dizzon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I just hope FUNimations next owner is still publicly traded. It's always entertaining to watch people trying to figure out FUNi's quarterly fiscal reports.....I have a hunch they are some of the people who were running the "Big Banks" Wink .
mudduck454

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:55 pm Reply with quote
here is a good question, couldn't navarre keep funimation, but keep it as a separate entity, and let it support itself??? instead of selling it???
than if it fails, it wont take navarre down with it, but if it continues to make money, then navarre makes money,

but it is just a thought, and a Japanese company would make a good choice to buy funimation, better yet, what if all the major companies in japan bought an equal piece of funimation, then they could all use funimation as a distibuter of most anime coming out of japan,

kinda like how geneon uses funimation to release shows for them, but then it would be harder for section23 films and sentai films to license shows, crap didn' think about that,

oh well, maybe bandia should merge with funimation,

now I am just trolling, sorry, I just want the japanese to subtitle their own blu-rays, so I can buy the shows I want as soon as they are released in japan, never happen
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:19 pm Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:

now I am just trolling, sorry, I just want the japanese to subtitle their own blu-rays, so I can buy the shows I want as soon as they are released in japan, never happen

I was under the impression that they did subtitle their blu-rays, or at least some of them. You'll just have to pay Japanese prices for them is all.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Paying Japanese prices for a Blu-Ray.... *Brain hurts just thinking about it.* You must be one big fan then.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:31 pm Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:
here is a good question, couldn't navarre keep funimation, but keep it as a separate entity, and let it support itself??? instead of selling it???
than if it fails, it wont take navarre down with it, but if it continues to make money, then navarre makes money,

Technically, yes. But usually companies only do this with divisions that are really struggling or require substantial restructuring. This will sometimes be done when a division requires a bankruptcy filing, but they do not want to involve the entire corporation. When GM originally could not find a buyer for SAAB it planned on liquidating the company and basically cut the division off. It was still technically owned by GM, but they would not put anymore money into it and it was forced to file for bankruptcy in Sweden. However, in that case they eventually did find a buyer.

To me, it does seem a bit strange to separate Funimation as a discontinued operation already. Usually, companies won't do that until they have a buyer lined and a deal is almost a certainty. However, if that were the case, one would think Navarre would have revealed something about it already.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:31 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
Paying Japanese prices for a Blu-Ray.... *Brain hurts just thinking about it.*

Really, I would rather wait it out for a US release than buy the Japanese Blu-Rays and DVDs. Very few series/movies come with English subtitles anyway, and the costs can be tremendous. Maybe if it didn't stand a snowball's chance in Hell of being licensed, but even then I'd wait a bit to be sure. I'm more into manga than anime, and most series I like are being streamed by a legal source. The few series that didn't have an official release were inevitably going to be licensed and were. Now I just have to hope those streamed series make it to Blu-Ray or DVD....Though I really doubt Rainbow or Giant Killing will see a DVD/Blu-Ray release. Confused

Well, I did import once when I knew the English release was in a few months...And ended up paying around 70 dollars...When the US release was around 25....But I really wanted the FFXIII demo and the FFVII: Advent Children Complete Blu-Ray came with an English dub (though no English subs...)! And, hey, it was worth it. I got this really nice packaging and I later found out they replaced the ending theme in the official English release. I hold no regrets!
HuskofDaimao

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Ha, DBZ could almost single-handedly keep that company alive. I read once DBZ was nearly half of FUNimation's earnings, and helped push FUNimation to become the leading anime distributor in America. But it's understandable in these days, with anime on the decline, and such.

I don't get the people at FUNimation / Navarre though. With the rereleasings of DBZ in the form of Kai and its popularity picking up now it seems kind of ridiculous to drop the company. But I guess many of them just want to retire.

Quote:

There are other titles from the 80's (Saint Seiya for example) that are popular around the world & in Japan.

The question is, are anime like Saint Seiya relevant today? They've rereleased DBZ some 3-4 times over the years and it's still a #1 seller among anime. They still make DBZ games (which outsell Marvel and DC Superhero games, outsell Street Fighter games), they still make toys, clothing, and it's popular in many countries, and landed #1 on basic cable TV in many countries including America (only Pokemon topped it). "Saint Seiya" isn't present in any of those ways, certainly not in America, and it never was.

Quote:
anime outside of the gigantic big sellers like Dragon Ball Z and Naruto which could affect the more niche titles in FUNimation's catalogue
It's actually a misconception that Naruto is making a lot of money. The Naruto anime doesn't sell well at all- Bleach outsells its releases, and almost every bit of merchandise made for Naruto has received little attention other than its manga and game releases. Compared to a lot of anime properties, Naruto is a baby in terms of worth. One Piece, for example, is worth a lot more than Naruto, and its Japan fanbase alone outweighs the size of any following Naruto has in America.

Last edited by HuskofDaimao on Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:29 pm Reply with quote
HuskofDaimao wrote:
Ha, DBZ could almost single-handedly keep that company alive. I read once DBZ was nearly half of FUNimation's earnings, and helped push FUNimation to become the leading anime distributor in America. But it's understandable in these days, with anime on the decline, and such.

I don't get the people at FUNimation / Navarre though. With the rereleasings of DBZ in the form of Kai and its popularity picking up now it seems kind of ridiculous to drop the company. But I guess many of them just want to retire.
Quote:

There are other titles from the 80's (Saint Seiya for example) that are popular around the world & in Japan.

The question is, are anime like Saint Seiya relevant today? They've rereleased DBZ some 3-4 times over the years and it's still a #1 seller among anime.

Well, this decision was made before DZ Kai premiered. Also, you have to remember that the DVD market has been in decline for a few years now and that's still where the majority of Funi's revenue comes from. The Kai and Dragonbox sets may be doing okay, but I doubt they are doing as well as the DBZ sets and singles did a few years back. Not to mention they have a lower margin of profit.

Funimation only has one business segment that's growing and that's it's digital initiatives. However, very few companies have been able to make a profit from streaming and digital downloads and they have a very long way to go before they are a significant source of revenue.

Plus, you have the fact that Navarre wants to focus on it's software sales and publishing, which are a much larger business than Funimation. They could easily raise money for further acquisitions or debt reduction by selling the company that is not key to their future plans.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:41 pm Reply with quote
HuskofDaimao wrote:

This was discussed previously in an interview with Funimation's CEO. Essentially what it comes down to is that Navarre and Funimation are just too different. Neither really helps the other succeed. So, they're looking to get a company which is a better match for Funimation to buy Funimation. That will help Funimation continue to do well and do better. If they can't find a buyer who will do that, then Navarre will just hang on to Funimation. Really all it comes down to is that they decided that they're not a good match at this point, and so they're taking steps to match up Funimation with a company that is a good match.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:07 am Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
HuskofDaimao wrote:

This was discussed previously in an interview with Funimation's CEO. Essentially what it comes down to is that Navarre and Funimation are just too different. Neither really helps the other succeed. So, they're looking to get a company which is a better match for Funimation to buy Funimation. That will help Funimation continue to do well and do better. If they can't find a buyer who will do that, then Navarre will just hang on to Funimation. Really all it comes down to is that they decided that they're not a good match at this point, and so they're taking steps to match up Funimation with a company that is a good match.

See that's the thing I find odd. If they believe there is any chance that they won't find a buyer for Funimation, then why would they set it up as a discontinued operation already? Usually, that doesn't happen until a deal is on the table. But if that's the case, then why make comments about keeping it if they can't find a buyer?

But this Navarre. I will just leave it at that.
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:22 am Reply with quote
I'm certainly glad that I read a lot of the previous posts before making my own. Smile

Thinking about it, it makes sense that Navarre would separate from Funimation in some way, shape, or form if the companies are not helping each other a whole lot.
As for why they've labeled Funimation as a "discontinued" operation already... I'm as clueless as anyone else. It does seem a little strange, but I guess it could be their preparation for separating the companies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7