• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Devil Survivor 2: The Animation (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Etrien

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:28 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Etrien wrote:

That's exactly the terrible realization that was dawning on Hibiki at the end. Plus, spoiler[the episode briefly revealed at the end - and the game much more explicitly - that Japan is the last remaining portion of the Earth not yet erased by the void. And even it is largely destroyed, and most of the characters' loved ones dead.] I think it's supposed to fill you with an overwhelming sense of dread and futility.

That's exactly the point I addressed in the post right above yours. I think that scene wspoiler[ith Hibiki in the bridge watching the Void consume the sky and realizing the world can't be saved] was probably the first time in the series where I felt seriously invested in whatever's happening.

Haha, whoops. That's what I get for responding with a half-dead, zombie brain. Wink
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 8

It seems no one actually listens when someone says spoiler[they are going to die. They just say they will be careful and then drop their guard to end up in the situation.]

The problem seems to be that spoiler[the message people receive is "hey, dude, Deathfacebook sez you're gonna die! Watch out!" Maybe if someone actually described to them the exact scenario in which they're to buy it, they could watch out for that in particular, instead of just dropping back to DefCon 3 because you really can't guard against death from every inconceivable quarter all the time.]

So, how many times did we go through the explanation that spoiler[if the Septicons win the world disappears?] I think it was at least five, just to be sure we didn't miss it, I guess. The Jeeps ran through it almost verbatim to Alcor.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Probably the 10th time I felt like dropping this thing for mixing science and magic improperly considering that the void would suck things in until they're empty rather than slowly and romantically consume them. Oh god, just leave this sort of stuff to yaoi.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:38 am Reply with quote
Suck them into where? The Void isn't empty space, it's nothingness. There's no there there.

But there's no reason that something that could undo the past and present existence of the world (by which I assume they mean this entire universe) couldn't decide to do it by nibble nibble nibble or a snap of omnipotent fingers or however it wanted to.

But apparently this omnipotent Polaris is pretty much just like the Biblical God - when displeased by humans it doesn't just undo humans, it washes away everything and starts over. That's the thing that I find silly. Polaris is supposed to be running the universe, but it doesn't seem to be intelligent enough to just get rid of the parts it thinks are ugly or disordered and keep the parts it likes.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9
Whoa, that ending....Nittais going to have to spoiler[die]? Damn, I hope she survives this with just spoiler[2 days left]. A new world might be harsh but at least I think it'll be better than spoiler[death].
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Hibiki sure became friendly with spoiler[Alcor].
It's still a gamble trusting him.
Looks like the new spoiler[strategy worked.
It did, but for a really short time.]

So far, things are not looking good.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:49 pm Reply with quote
ookamigirl wrote:
It's still a gamble trusting him.

With the world going to end in two days, just how much of a gamble can that be?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

Wow, they managed to spoiler[kill a big opponent really quickly with the plan they created, things actually went to plan]. And to think all it required was getting one spoiler[girl to dance], and spoiler[showing a young girl's belly button]. They should have tried that with all the enemies.

Bullshit that they have to spoiler[kill off that main girl].
Etrien

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:59 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 9

Wow, they managed to spoiler[kill a big opponent really quickly with the plan they created, things actually went to plan]. And to think all it required was getting one spoiler[girl to dance], and spoiler[showing a young girl's belly button].

Well, that and spoiler[be willing to sacrifice the 4th largest city in Japan and countless innocent civilian lives].

Really enjoyed the episode, especially some of the changes they made. Although, the summoning sequence was much more amusing in the game. Airi was trying her best!
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10
Damn, poor spoiler[Niita]. I guess it can't be helped though but I still feel sorry for her. I guess her spirit was a bit weak according to the God spoken through her.

Anyways, ending was a bit cheesy imo. spoiler[So, she managed to avoid death through some miracle. Meh, it was kinda expected I guess]. They all gotta survive this after all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:04 am Reply with quote
I don't know about all you guys, but I'm starting to root for Yamato. The goody-two-shoes bit is beginning to bore me. Irrelevant.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:28 am Reply with quote
Things are looking pretty bleak.
spoiler[Nitta] as a sacrifice didn't get Hibiki's approval.
It was nice watching the fight with spoiler[Mizar].
Hibiki's inability to let spoiler[Nitta] go was admirable.
Guess he still hasn't gotten used to losing people..
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:48 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

lol at Nitta as Fay Wray.

spoiler[Deathfacebook had only been wrong once so far, so I totally expected we were gonna get trolled after all that and she'd die in the fall. Smile]
Etrien

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:04 am Reply with quote
Overall, a bit disappointed with this one. The low episode count really hurt it - this particular sequence probably should have been two episodes, time allowing. As it was, there wasn't enough time to explain much of anything. Not about what the Dragon Stream (Ryumyaku) was, what it had been doing, why Lugh was even necessary, nor about the danger in using up the Stream's energy as an attack (as it had been the only thing protecting Tokyo, Osaka, and Nagoya from the Void). It also failed to show how far Mizer had pushed them into a corner to make them take this course; the anime made it seem like no one really put much thought into any alternatives, and failed to capture how this was the actual last resort.

And on that note, (Episode 10 spoilers) spoiler[since Nitta really CAN die here in the game, I was actually kind of hoping that's the direction they were going to go in the anime. Especially since they've already killed off several other characters who CAN survive. It would've given this show some more much-needed impact.]
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Overall, a bit disappointed with this one. The low episode count really hurt it - this particular sequence probably should have been two episodes, time allowing. As it was, there wasn't enough time to explain much of anything. Not about what the Dragon Stream (Ryumyaku) was, what it had been doing, why Lugh was even necessary, nor about the danger in using up the Stream's energy as an attack (as it had been the only thing protecting Tokyo, Osaka, and Nagoya from the Void). It also failed to show how far Mizer had pushed them into a corner to make them take this course; the anime made it seem like no one really put much thought into any alternatives, and failed to capture how this was the actual last resort.

If you have played the game, the anime in these latest episodes has been more than amazing, but I can also see that the flow for a non-inititiated viewer to find the same scenes of the latest episodes as going by WAY too fast, though it can be said that even in game the Dragon Stream was also a relatively vague mystical power source so to explain it would be to give out more information than even the source material had said about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7