• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki's The Wind Rises Nominated for Animated Film Oscar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Frozen is pretty amazing. It definitely isn't as good as Beauty & the Beast but it's definitely up there, possibly my personal Top 10 favourite animated Disney movies, though I have never actually made such a list so I don't know for certain. Definitely worth of getting Best Animated Feature.

Also, Titanic is a pretty damn good movie.

Last edited by marie-antoinette on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote
What's funny is JGH presented the next award after Animated.

(One second you're a nominee, next second you're a loser - that's highs and lows of awards for ya.)
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Oscar Winners: Animated Feature: Frozen

Damn it.

I don't really care about the Oscars, but then again the reason for that is that they don't care about anything I care about.

The Wind Rises never had a chance, and that's kind of sad. It never had a chance because it wasn't from an English-speaking country and wasn't CG.

I saw the movie yesterday, and I must say that The Wind Rises is one of my favorite movies of any sort. A truly spectacular work.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:31 pm Reply with quote
It would have had a chance if Frozen didn't come out. The rest of 2013 was quite weak for animated features, but Frozen just happened to be one of Disney's best musicals in decades. It was a total bust for anything else. And then even if it had come out this year, I hope Lego Movie wins.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:31 pm Reply with quote
The competition was too stiff this year, but Kaguya Hime has a better shot next year. It's more in line with Academy tastes.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I think another key difference between the Oscar chances for Spirited Away and the Oscar chances for The Wind Rises, besides the stronger competition (Frozen) and the touchy subject matter that might have turned off some older Academy voters, is that I partially credit Spirited Away's win to Roger Ebert's championing it to skeptical Academy voters who might have otherwise found it too weird and unsettling.

Sadly, this time around, Roger Ebert is dead and there isn't any other critic with his level of influence with mainstream Academy voters. (Maybe A.O. Scott is closest but I can't find any review of The Wind Rises from him.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Deadwing wrote:
I haven't seen Frozen yet, but was it really that good?

It's a Disney movie.. if you like Disney princess movies you'll probably like it, if not, then no. Didn't seem anything more noticeable than what Disney usually churns out to me.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:
Deadwing wrote:
I haven't seen Frozen yet, but was it really that good?

It's a Disney movie.. if you like Disney princess movies you'll probably like it, if not, then no. Didn't seem anything more noticeable than what Disney usually churns out to me.

You've gotta qualify what "Disney movie" means nowadays. It's a Disney Renaissance film, otherwise you could be talking about stuff they made during the 00s.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:33 am Reply with quote
From watching the Oscars to just finished watching Wind Rises in the theater, yeah that and Frozen are worthy Top 2 finalists - both as conventional from Hayao Miyazaki and Disney yet both also unconventional in ways. It's actually an apropos retirement film for Miyazaki (assuming he stays retired) - it's like two movies in one.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:47 am Reply with quote
Deadwing wrote:
I haven't seen Frozen yet, but was it really that good? Or was it more like 2013 animated films like what Titanic was to live-action in 1997, this big phenomenon that's just hugely successful both critically and financially and wins by virtue of its hugeness?

It's more like Titanic, in that it's 90% fueled by fangirls thinking it's The Greatest Movie EVAR!, despite being annoyingly chick-skewed, thinly characterized, painfully obvious, and juggernaut-propelled by cult soundtrack sales of a hit song whose rampant overexposure will drive you out of your skull within weeks. Razz

Er, no, I didn't like it, but I'll say it was marginally better than Beauty & the Beast, which I thought was downright insulting between Mermaid and Aladdin. ("But it was nominated!"...Oh, yeah, lemme explode that myth sometime, I remember when it happened.)
Tangled felt like the Disney Renaissance days of songs integrated fluidly into the story, Frozen had Broadway songwriters thinking they were making a Broadway stage show, and blocking it out accordingly. On that level, it's not AS claustrophobic and stagebound as Hunchback of Notre Dame--at least, it doesn't feel like a commercial for its own stage musical--but some scenes will come dangerously close.
Oh, and if you didn't warm to Tiana, Charlotte and all the PC princess-apologia about Girls, Why Not To Throw Your Future Away Marrying Icky Irresponsible Princes in "Princess & the Frog", just brace your lil' old Y-chromosomes for this one... Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5