• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pony Canyon Will Release Yuki Yuna is a Hero, Denki-Gai no Honya-san in North America

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:20 pm Reply with quote
As long the Japanese side doesn't decide to pull Aniplex of America prices, I think I would be fine with their prices.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:15 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I disagree with a couple of things. Super collectors' editions in N.A. are not cheap. Funimation's typical LE's are cheap but generally only come with a storage box. But their more lush LE's of Kamisama Kiss, Psycho-Pass and Attack on Titan were not cheap. And Sentai's Chuunibyou's CE will be almost $80 for 12 episodes.

And I think it is a mistake to assume that the N.A. market does not have fans who take pride in how much they pay for their anime. Just look at Aniplex USA's uber fans.

No, I'm not talking about anime releases, but western releases of western media. For the price of a Kill la Kill single, you can get an entire season of The Simpsons. Even classic Disney films, which get limited runs and are aimed at collectors, will cost no more than US$30. They are priced competitively, with each of the major studios setting prices as low as possible because to them, casting the widest net will allow them the greatest possible profit.

The only exceptions seem to be those super box sets, of stuff like Game of Thrones or the Matrix trilogy, which are crammed with every special feature they can fit into these discs. (This is what I meant by the "super collectors' editions" in my previous post.) A far cry from the little postcards you get from anime home video. Hence, even there, there's the principle of maximum value relative to the price--they may be $130 or more, but you're getting much more content as you would the movies/episodes by themselves. (The US$180 Harry Potter Years 1-3 collection has nine discs: the movies on the first three discs, with the remaining six being special features, for instance.)

Is there a substantial used market for anime on home video? There is for western media, though it's not that big. You can also outright buy movies from Redbox machines that they're about to phase out at reduced prices.

Last edited by leafy sea dragon on Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:18 pm; edited 4 times in total
Rederoin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:15 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Quote:
The company is signing exclusively with Right Stuf, Inc. to distribute "collector-grade" Blu-ray, DVD, and other merchandise in North America

Aaaaand there goes the reasonably priced anime we've come to enjoy in NA. Following Aniplex all the big Japanese publishers are going to skip licensing out to middlemen and start selling to the US directly at the same exorbitant prices as Japan. Sad

Higher prices means a higher chance of them including the translated VN(like with the Japanese release).

I'm okay with that.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I'll wait till we get more info before reacting, but there is an ad I'm seeing right now for Denki-Gai right here on ANN. So far it goes nowhere though.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:52 pm Reply with quote
For those of you that didn't see this press release. Right Stuf and Pony Canyon has announced a exclusive distribution deal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:34 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
For those of you that didn't see this press release. Right Stuf and Pony Canyon has announced a exclusive distribution deal.

so does this very article
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:37 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

so does this very article

Whoops, my apologies. Embarassed Didn't read that part carefully.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Found this through ANN's advertising.

Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:48 pm Reply with quote
So the question is if they will use two or three boxes for a one cour release. I'll go ahead and guess three.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:49 pm Reply with quote
The artwork on both the packaging and the discs look great! Smile
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:22 am Reply with quote
Details of the set are now up on the site.

$70 for 4 episodes and a standard looking boxset. They are even more expensive then Aniplex USA.

I am rather disappointed....was hoping to buy Yuki Yuna but with that kind of pricing I will have to pass.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:33 am Reply with quote
So looks like it's getting released in 4 episode sets for $89.98 MSRP. For those wondering, that's even more expensive than Aniplex pricing. Similar to the Kill la Kill release except with an MSRP that's 20% higher.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:42 am Reply with quote
Aniplex's Madoka Magica LE's and this would be a much more accurate comparison.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:46 am Reply with quote
Ohh, man...
$72 for just every four episodes of Denki-Gai? That's around $216 total if one wants to own the entire show, unless I'm wrong using this assessment (in which I hope I'm wrong)!
I have to agree, that price tag makes Aniplex of the U.S. [for the most part] look like saints with theirs.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:00 am Reply with quote
What is the price? These last posts all have a different price.

Nevertheless, they are all way too high. They will have no chance of competing with local distributors, especially of domestic releases. I mean, for the price of those 4 episodes, I can get two seasons of Adventure Time and still have some money left, accounting for sales tax (though how much depends on if it's $70, $72, or $90).

Maybe I'll wait until Denki-Gai inevitably winds up at RightStuf's clearance at drastically reduced prices and I'll harvest off of Ponycan's corpse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8