• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: American Animator in Japan Offers His Take on the Industry's Wages and Work Environment

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:43 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I was going to ask why he just didn't go back to America to work. But that line at the end tells me he probably worked on some really boring projects. Do they have any animation made in America? A lot of places only do pre and post production and send the rest off to Korea.

American animation these days generally means CGI or Flash, so I wonder if they even teach hand drawn skills anymore or how often they are applied. Though given his statement of wanting to work on high quality series and films, he seems happier working on anime than yet another Adventure Time clone. Animation in the west isn't what one would call artistic usually given it's aimed squarely at little kids.

-Stuart Smith
Apashi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a starving artist all right haha! I do wish he would be treated better though. That sounds extremely harsh. =/ I'm guessing I'm going to have similar conditions when/if I get my manga serialized in magazine over there. I'm surprised his pay is that low though. You'd think with the bigger budget shows like he's worked on he'd at least make enough to live off of.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
Fronzel wrote:
By making Naruto?

If the alternative is working on American children's shows, it's a definite step up in terms of artistic merit I would think. More freedom to express your animation talents and creativity.

Yeah because American Children cartoons never have any artistic merit or creative expression compared to Naruto.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
What Thurlow said in the interview and what sukochi said in this thread basically confirmed what I thought when this topic last came up, which is that getting to work in one's chosen field counts for a lot. However, I don't think that really excuses what looks to be an extremely lopsided arrangement. Lots of employers get away with low wages or never increasing wages by making the employee feel like they should just be grateful to even have that job. To a certain extent, that is true, but it is a sentiment that is open to abuse.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Just read the article and wow, that's a harsh lifestyle, even it's doing something you love. It's too bad that the anime industry isn't really that interested in improving the pay. I guess the price we pay for the ton of shows every season is driving the animators into the ground.

StfuSleepySteve wrote:
That's besides the point though, what I want say is that American Animation has always been the same. Comedy for kids or comedy for adults. No murder mystery, no psychological thriller, no Shonen types or even romance.

This is sadly true. Animated comedy is great and all, but having variety is even better. It just seems like the majority of American/Western animation refuses to branch out. It's very telling that Thurlow says he'd rather work in Japan, under these conditions, than go back to what he was doing before in the US.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:11 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

Do they have any animation made in America? A lot of places only do pre and post production and send the rest off to Korea.

CN tries to keep their works stateside, within the studios of their creators.

Anyways, Henry Thurlow answers more on Reddit:

• The “as low as $100 a month” in the Buzzfeed article referred to my first couple months at Nakamura-pro. After that it was about $300 a month, until I came to Pierrot, which has been around $1000 a month.

Right now I do some work for Naruto Shippuden and Tokyo Ghoul, but am mostly drawing Akatsuki no Yona.
    If I stay with Pierrot for a while longer Baby Steps season 2 and the "bolt" movie are coming up.

Now though, I like anime that isnt done in the normal "anime style" ... So projects done by Yuasa Masaaki like "Mind game", Michael Ariess "Tekkon-kinkreet", and Norio Matsumotos Naruto episodes. Im starting to dislike almost everything else actually. But .... idol-group related series and stuff like that would have to be the worst in my opinion.

He did like working on Superjail in the States, instead of yet another "normal anime style" clone.
Lynxikat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
I wonder how long anime industry in Japan is going to survive.

if majority of the industries workers / artists are being driven to this point in exhaustion, how is it going to survive.

As long as there are people who want to work as an animator - and I assume there are a lot of anime fans out there who want to work in anime - and if there are people will continue to buy anime products, the anime industry will still be going strong.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
We could start by trying to ease the problem by actually buying anime and more of that money may go into paying them a much higher wage and not throw bullsh*t excuses not to.

Well that's not going to work because no matter how much and how many we buy anime, none of those money are going to the animators themselves. Didn't you read and understood the point of the article??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:27 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
Just read the article and wow, that's a harsh lifestyle, even it's doing something you love. It's too bad that the anime industry isn't really that interested in improving the pay. I guess the price we pay for the ton of shows every season is driving the animators into the ground.
While I may have misremembered the exact quote, the owner of a ballet once said, "I don't want people who want to dance, I need people who need to dance", referencing the low pay of the position. The same really applies here: it's a calling, not a vocation.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Do they have any animation made in America? A lot of places only do pre and post production and send the rest off to Korea.

CN tries to keep their works stateside, within the studios of their creators.

Anyways, Henry Thurlow answers more on Reddit:

• The “as low as $100 a month” in the Buzzfeed article referred to my first couple months at Nakamura-pro. After that it was about $300 a month, until I came to Pierrot, which has been around $1000 a month.

Right now I do some work for Naruto Shippuden and Tokyo Ghoul, but am mostly drawing Akatsuki no Yona.
    If I stay with Pierrot for a while longer Baby Steps season 2 and the "bolt" movie are coming up.

Now though, I like anime that isnt done in the normal "anime style" ... So projects done by Yuasa Masaaki like "Mind game", Michael Ariess "Tekkon-kinkreet", and Norio Matsumotos Naruto episodes. Im starting to dislike almost everything else actually. But .... idol-group related series and stuff like that would have to be the worst in my opinion.

He did like working on Superjail in the States, instead of yet another "normal anime style" clone.

I hear a lot of expats who live in Japan or those who just went to school or worked there for a while hate idol anime, I never know why they do, but I always had a hunch that it's due to the portrayal of it in all but Wake Up Girls which is more accurate to the true side of the industry unlike something like Pripara and Love Live where it's mostly if not totally saccharine, even Idolm@ster has this issue from time to time. Also, it could be the distaste for the industry as well, while I like many of these anime, I still have a very bad distaste for it as well and constantly wish for reforms.
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
^ figured it was something like that.

Now, hearing other people's experiences (like Cindy Yamauchi and Scott MacDonald) has me concluding that the money being that bad isn't universal.

Still, I think things could stand to improve quite a lot.

Same here. While I don't doubt that experienced animators' pays are pretty good, but it's difficult for entry level "inbetween" animators to sustain a living. I figured that whole lower-than-minimum pay practice is meant to weed out untalented and uncommitted people, but I think it's also working against talented and motivated people as well. I remember Oreimo director Hiroyuki Kanbe said at a convention that more young people wanted to become voice actor than animator. Partially the low pay practice created reputation that there is no hope working as animator as career and talent pool gets smaller. Eventually all hot and best animators has to retire in the future, so it's important to have large talent pool ready.

Most young animators' main concerns are roof over their head, decent food, and little extra for other living expenses. Wasn't there animator dormitory crowdfunding while ago so that they could focus on improving their skills and not on where their next meal is coming from? I heard that PA Works provides a dorm for their animators because they're located in inexpensive countryside, but not for Tokyo based studios though.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:04 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
While I may have misremembered the exact quote, the owner of a ballet once said, "I don't want people who want to dance, I need people who need to dance", referencing the low pay of the position. The same really applies here: it's a calling, not a vocation.

I interpret that as: "That's the way it is and it's not going to change, so deal with it." As reanimator said, I can only imagine the potential talent being driven away by these working conditions.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:08 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:

Same here. While I don't doubt that experienced animators' pays are pretty good, but it's difficult for entry level "inbetween" animators to sustain a living. I figured that whole lower-than-minimum pay practice is meant to weed out untalented and uncommitted people, but I think it's also working against talented and motivated people as well. I remember Oreimo director Hiroyuki Kanbe said at a convention that more young people wanted to become voice actor than animator. Partially the low pay practice created reputation that there is no hope working as animator as career and talent pool gets smaller. Eventually all hot and best animators has to retire in the future, so it's important to have large talent pool ready.

Japanese stable-masters already know it has affected sumo, their national sport. There's fewer and fewer young Japanese wanting to go thru the hardships of sumo, so there's less and less Japanese talent. The last 4 rikishi promoted to Yokozuna are all from Mongolia; there hasn't been a Japanese-born Yokozuna in the ring since the last one retired back in 2003. They're looking for their great white hope.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:18 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
StfuSleepySteve wrote:
That's besides the point though, what I want say is that American Animation has always been the same. Comedy for kids or comedy for adults. No murder mystery, no psychological thriller, no Shonen types or even romance.

This is sadly true. Animated comedy is great and all, but having variety is even better. It just seems like the majority of American/Western animation refuses to branch out. It's very telling that Thurlow says he'd rather work in Japan, under these conditions, than go back to what he was doing before in the US.

I don't want to overstate but things like Steven Universe (for kids) and Rick & Morty or Venture Bros. (for adults) are branching out a little from comedy, even if they're classified as such and do have plenty of comic content.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:04 am Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
If the alternative is working on American children's shows, it's a definite step up in terms of artistic merit I would think. More freedom to express your animation talents and creativity.

Depends on the show, really. Of course, most animation work demands you stay on-model and within the style of the show, and to portray the movements as dictated by somebody else, so your creativity isn't really that high doing any form of animation work if you're not working for Spümco. And Spümco has long been desperate for any sort of work as a studio, because the sort of animation it produces is offputting for a lot of people (and the guys at the top have burned a lot of bridges).

CoreSignal wrote:

It's more that any attempt at making a non-comedic animated production aimed at adults falls flat on its face, like Batman: The Animated Series on primetime or Battle for Terra. The SatAM Sonic the Hedgehog show did seem primed to get the general public to take animated drama more seriously, but it got caught in a legal tangle or something and ended after just a handful of episodes.

There are dramedies like the above-mentioned shows, as well as Gravity Falls, Pound Puppies, and Over the Garden Wall; however, they tend not to do as well in the ratings as pure comedies, especially with children as their main audience. Futurama sometimes has dramatic episodes too (like "Jurassic Bark").

That they keep getting made means the problem is more due to culture and perception of animation as being either kids stuff or toilet humor for adults than the people actually making and greenlighting the programming.

Action shows aimed at kids do continue to exist, though with Young Justice, Transformers Prime, and Ben 10 gone, there aren't many good options left besides Star Wars: Rebels. That, I'm guessing, is due to action shows being more expensive (and a sharp decline in merchandise sales for action shows, as could be seen with Thundercats 2011).

In short, western animation does repeatedly try to branch out and do something different, but most of the time, the viewers say no.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6