• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The World's Finest Assassin

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Boy, Maha sure did catch up on the assassination game fast, huh?

It was kinda awkward mid way through they episode seeing Maha getting in to bed with Lugh after last episode (even more so with the bit at the end), but it was much more off putting seeing Noine getting her makeup adjusted like that. It's great that they seem better and are employed, but the whole "look pretty to sell" angle felt a bit tone deaf after last week.
Netero

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm not sure I completely buy Maha going from traumatized girl to ceiling ninja/expert torturer in such a short time.

I'm not sure exactly how long the total time from Maha being "adopted" to the torture scene was. I've seen various estimates ranging from 6 months to 2 years 6 months.
Wasureta

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Netero wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure I completely buy Maha going from traumatized girl to ceiling ninja/expert torturer in such a short time.

I'm not sure exactly how long the total time from Maha being "adopted" to the torture scene was. I've seen various estimates ranging from 6 months to 2 years 6 months.

It must be closer to 2.5 years. Maha's body vastly matured.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Wasureta wrote:
Netero wrote:
Quote:

It must be closer to 2.5 years. Maha's body vastly matured.

Isn't he only supposed to be a merchant for 2 years? So it must be ~6 months
srlracing

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:34 am Reply with quote
I laughed so hard at the Goddess rap battle I just about reincarnated.
Picky33

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:33 am Reply with quote
srlracing wrote:
I laughed so hard at the Goddess rap battle I just about reincarnated.

I laughed even harder when she went to check on him and found out all his words were good for was insulting people. i thought he might have some magic power that converts words into magic but nope.

Reviewer wrote:
I'm relieved that Tarte and Maha get along well even when Lugh is gone. They're not rivals in love as much as they are a team trying to unlock Lugh's heart. I also like that they don't brood about him visiting Dia and just have a good time on their own. Honestly, they seem like a pair that could actually do a healthy polyamorous relationship.
I actually don't think the girls know it's Dia that he's visiting. To me there's no indication that they know.

I thought it was funny to his reaction to his first wet dream, I'm not surprised by the Maha and Tarte comments though, That was obvious Harem trope behavior.
Sinsekihokimchiansu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Sigh ep 07&08 is very boring although that bit about Maha's parent got killed and how she became an orphan is not bad
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Lugh said he wants to marry Dia, but I wonder if that's really true. He may have just said that to give his father a plausible reason since he couldn't tell his Dad about the whole "I was brought here to kill the Hero" thing. Certainly his father was relieved to hear that Lugh actually had "normal" desires and said as much.

Still, if what Lugh said was true, then good for him and I agree with the reviewer's analysis. However, if he was just disarming his father, then it means he hasn't grown as much as we would like. Part of him is still an old man, and old people are slow to change. I guess I'm just being cautious here, and I hope he gets to end up with all three girls, since they all seem to want to end up with him.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:32 pm Reply with quote
This wasn't a bad episode, eventually, but jeez can you say "padding"? The entire first half was endless conversations about trusting the girls to take care of the brand line and business and how yes, they would take care of it and please come visit, you'll see how we take care of it, yes I know I can trust you to take care of things, we will definitely take care of things here, don't worry! Farewell, we'll take care of things for you while you're gone! Good, I know they'll take care of things while I'm gone.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I don't think "marry Dia" is the true answer for Lugh- I think its still the desire to be someone on his own terms, rather than as a tool for others. Mind you, I don't think its a lie either; just incomplete. After all, telling dear old Dad the full truth would make him sound absolutely loony.
I did love his father's reaction though. Lugh had to be an extremely uncomfortable son to have. Too damn good at everything, and way too serious and unchildlike. Something foolish he wants, some personal desire that wasn't "perfect" may have been something Cian waited Lugh's whole life to see.[/code]
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Maha is now strong enough to protect her girls from anyone who would wish to do them harm. I also liked getting more of her background and that she's planning to get her family company back on her own terms.

Now Tarte is the one fending off and killing hungry monster wolves. Of course said wolves also seem to be heralding the Demon Lord that the Hero will have to arrive to vanquish.

It was kind of refreshing seeing Lugh's dad be just...a dad. A dad who is giving his son a choice to get out of the assassination game and find happiness and fulfillment elsewhere because he wants his son to be safe and happy. I have to imagine Ruff's death might have influenced that somewhat as well.

I think Lugh was being pretty honest about his feelings and his love for Dia there. Like, he didn't need to say that to convince his dad that he genuinely wanted to be an assassin, and he called him "dad" for the first time so it felt like Lugh was being frank and honest there. That's on top of the self-reflection that he's trying to change from someone who only kills because he's told to do or just blindly following orders, and now he is an assassin for the sake of those he cherishes and who cherish him.

And honestly it also holds up from what we've seen of Lugh and Dia's relationship up to this point and how Lugh goes out of his way to see her (and for more than just spells). It's also probably why he dismissed Maha's feelings as just admiration, because his heart is set on another girl. Although this is still going to end up with a Harem scenario, so I wonder how Dia feels about mistresses...
Leviathonlx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Lugh said he wants to marry Dia, but I wonder if that's really true. He may have just said that to give his father a plausible reason since he couldn't tell his Dad about the whole "I was brought here to kill the Hero" thing. Certainly his father was relieved to hear that Lugh actually had "normal" desires and said as much.

Still, if what Lugh said was true, then good for him and I agree with the reviewer's analysis. However, if he was just disarming his father, then it means he hasn't grown as much as we would like. Part of him is still an old man, and old people are slow to change. I guess I'm just being cautious here, and I hope he gets to end up with all three girls, since they all seem to want to end up with him.

It's mainly an issue of the adaptation leaving out some of the inner dialogue but yes his feelings for Dia are 100% genuine.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Since Tarte has been out on an actual battlefield fighting, her experience killing other humans is probably higher than Lugh. I know a while ago they showed him going out on assassinations with his dad, but just how many people can be assassinated in a year?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Leviathonlx wrote:
It's mainly an issue of the adaptation leaving out some of the inner dialogue but yes his feelings for Dia are 100% genuine.

Ah. Thanks for that. I didn't like being so suspicious of his motives. Good for him.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Since Tarte has been out on an actual battlefield fighting, her experience killing other humans is probably higher than Lugh. I know a while ago they showed him going out on assassinations with his dad, but just how many people can be assassinated in a year?

Emerje

He got his training killing death row inmates in a basement, I'm pretty sure he has Tarte beat on that front. Well, he probably already had her beat while in his previous world, if you remember his career there.

Remember how he killed that one condemned tied to a chair in an earlier episode? Well, in the novel it was described a bit differently. He was simply asked to kill five people with a knife, with method of his own choosing. That was his first lesson. Afterwards he had the rest of the place to practice on for the next two years. A literal quote about that place from the novel? "A massive dungeon full of prisoners"...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9