• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shangri-La Frontier (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:52 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
My response to him finding out that he was clueless to a good deal of the game's mechanics because he didn't do the tutorial was that it was his own dang fault. Something I had kind of been afraid of at the start was that the series was going to be kind of critical of the sort of playing games as intended. Because you get those kind of gamers that just skip through everything at the start and then start complaining about a game being bad when they complain about a game not be clear what to do, when they skipped the parts of a game doing that. So it did feel cathartic when it finally dropped that he was kind of a doofas for.

Will also say I kind of became a fan of the tank monk, that is a female avatar played by a guy. I think it fits some of my likes of androgyny, but I can't see too much mention anywhere.

^^Senraku says "that's a bold little avatar you got there" when he sees Katzo in SLF but I'd guess there won't be much pointing that out because the writer is obviously knows gaming IRL where most people are used to the idea that avatars frequently don't match IRL attributes of the player. I think the writer is aware that the target audience won't think much of it, so no need to point it out other than have some fun with it, as with Emul reacting to the reveal that Katzo-chan isn't actually a woman.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:45 am Reply with quote
A very varied episode this week. We had a lore dump thanks to a npc in a rather lovely yet also creepy location (some real foreshadowing in regards to certain things like wolfy). We saw Sanraku's family and how passionate they are about their interests and we had some buggy fighting game action. Funny about the latter is that the whole appeal of the game seems to be using the bugs to develop a fighting style. As for the family, their interests are quite distinctive, though they all seem pretty die hard about it.

I also liked the jokes and snide remarks between the gang this week, it has become a fun group of weirdos.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:27 am Reply with quote
Great chemistry, between both the party and the family. Everybody notices the animation of this show, but I'd argue the character interactions are just as important in making it flow so seamlessly from week to week. It's rarely deep, but it's always fun and seems organic. I think the voice actors might even be having as much fun as the ones on Konosuba.

So Psyger not only takes Judo, but she lives in a traditional household and writes formal letters by hand....huh.

Happy Holidays
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I work with (professional) Entomology Geeks and my best friend in college was one. Always bending over somewhere to inspect the nearest creepy-crawlie. So that intro gave me a good chuckle. Entomologists never retire, it just switches from a career back to a hobby and they continue doing the same stuff until they die. Inspect, research, discover and hopefully name/ and make "first discoveries."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:54 am Reply with quote
A new year and a new army of seasonal anime, yet I keep looking forward to Shangri-La most of all. The first episode of the new year is another great one. Some buggy fighting game action, finally linking up skills thanks to a very charming sounding rabbit (who will rip you off) and even some story progress. Taking down the PK guild sounds fun and a big new update seems like a great time.

We also have a new op, it is another banger, though I will miss the first one.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I miss the first season's OP too. This season, the OPs from Sign of Affections, and Banished from the Hero's Party are probably my favorite thus far.

Still kind of amazed that I don't get bored by the time spent in bunny world. Normally, the idea of an anime land full of fluffy bunnies would make me cringe. But then again, in most anime, if it was land full of fluffy bunnies, the MC would keep getting this borderline perverse ahh expression where I'd be wondering if they'd just messed their pants or not. And the bunnies wouldn't have distinct, funny personalities.

Am I wrong in thinking that the newbie from the buggy fight game will either play a significant role in the future or is someone that the MC already knows? Like Stalker-sa (kaff) I mean, potential romantic interest-san?

Anyway, another great episode IMHO.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:21 am Reply with quote
Welp, no new episode this week. cold turkey time it is.
As for bunny world, the show is great in making everything interesting and keeping things varied. We only ever visit bunny world between adventures/outings and each bunny is indeed unique in a quirky way.
I can see Sunraku meeting newbie every now and then and eventually learning new moves and tactics from him which he then uses in Shangri-La to some extend.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:43 am Reply with quote
Episode 14.5 (Special Re-cap)

Given that the battle with Wethermon starts next episode, the timing of this recap makes sense, but I still can't help feeling that it exists to deal with a production delay as opposed to being some kind of planned break... but then again, who really knows? Unlike a lot of shows, I didn't really need a recap for this one because the plot is pretty straightforward so even my crap memory retained all the key points. Can't wait until next week!
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:45 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 14.5 (Special Re-cap)

Given that the battle with Wethermon starts next episode, the timing of this recap makes sense, but I still can't help feeling that it exists to deal with a production delay as opposed to being some kind of planned break...

I feel that way about every recap, but I'm probably being irrational just because I hate the damn things. What I really hate is the ones that splice tons of recaps between slivers of original material, so that I feel compelled to watch the recap episodes again if I watch the series a second time.

But I will say that this recap was a little less painful than most because of the jeering commentary from the characters.

Looking forward to next week as well.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:35 am Reply with quote
Oh boy, the show is back in action after a recap week and it sure has come back strong. Some final prep was done (all those resurrection orbs will come in handy) and we had a certain armored stalker having to take back the invitation she just sent with a lot of effort. Also kudos to bow girl always being so quick on the draw.

Excitement wise we had the start of the battle with mr robot samurai and a certain guild getting some just desserts. Given how despised the PK guild is, it is no wonder that basically everyone wants a piece of them. Remembering penalties for PK players correctly, dying is rather painful for them.

As for Wethermon, he really is a true challenge. Having to deal with a high level boss with lots of insta kill attacks that are crazy fast while being capped at lv 50 is rather insane. It also seems like you can't kill him health wise and have to survive all his bullshit for a certain period of time.

Anyway, great episode.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:43 am Reply with quote
Episode 15

Yes, it was fun watching some PKers get skewered. Also funny to find out that Pencilgon bladed her own brother by snitching about their location. Man, with "only" four shows to watch today, and on a non-work day to boot, it almost feels like a vacation. I go from 6 titles on Thursday, 7 on Friday, 8 on Saturday to a mere 4 today. Thank God Tuesday only has 1. I have a feeling that will be a useful catch up day if I start to fall behind.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:02 am Reply with quote
Y'know, that showdown with the PKers was the very first time I watched this show and thought the animation was nothing special. Not a big deal. The episode was another exercise in awesomeness, and I wouldn't have even noticed except some of those shots of people running in a row looked clunky, and it got me paying attention. But except for Psyger, most of the characters on screen were no names or once named, and it may be that big battle scenes with lots of people would be impossible to animate with the same attention to detail unless a team wanted to get bogged down in production hell for weeks or months, and l don't want that to happen.

And as soon as they got to the tomb guard scene the animation was back to superb.

-So Psyger and Pencil-San both have siblings in-game huh? Though Psyger seems to be in a more submissive relationship with hers. And y'know, I'm really wanting to see how Psyger stacks up against the 3 trash gamers. I'm really starting to get a feeling that her traditional dojo upbringing might be translating into some mad skills and that she's not just a pretty play build.

- I don't really pay attention to anime awards, but has anybody nominated the voice actor for that big rabbit chief for anything?

- So I'm guessing that amulet Emul gave Sunraku belonged to Tomb Guard's lost love?
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:54 pm Reply with quote
^^About the CRAW, they only operate on anime from a year ago (it seems, actually aired in Japan between Oct 2022 and Sept 2023) so this show won't have anything until next year. However, the VA for Vash is a Major OG actor who has a good singing voice, so he should have a nod. I also get a kick out of the avatar names, as Rei and sister's last names are Saiga that transliterates in English close to "Psyger" (maybe a combo to "tiger" as well) but of course the older must have a higher number like 100...

Like you, I'd bet that pendant contains a hologram or message from Setsuna and that the "win" condition is the "reasons in middle of fight" type when that gets triggered and maybe clears up the "little lie" that set Wethermon off. Like "Arthur" I really get "the feels" from the whole lost love backstory and I think that and the Blacksmith's Song sequence among other things is what elevates the show from a good gamer action adventure to a near-best-of-season show...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:44 am Reply with quote
Y'know, I almost put off watching today's episode for a week, because I figure this tombguard fight is going to last 3 episodes minimum and the maximum really has no upper limit (the remaining season?) ,so there was no way this wasn't going to end in a cliffhanger.

But it's all good. Another great episode.

I've gotta say, I'm really glad they introduced Katzo/Kei into this series. The monk always cracks me up, and I don't know if it's the voice acting or the animation or the situation, but that kirin bronco busting sequence had me laughing out loud.

I'm starting to get a bit of a handle on Pencil-gon san, I think. I've been wondering how trustworthy she is. She seems to have formed a genuine emotional connection with an NPC (not that this is a bad thing) but she also betrayed her former comrades. Granted, they were douchebags, but she amassed all of the resources she's been spending by being a player killer in the first place. But the leader of the PKers was her brother, and she's willing to spend all of those resources unstintingly on her allies in this fight...

Just saying, it's a little complicated. But I think the key is respect. If she respects people - and not just their ability but their resolve - she'll be willing to treat them like allies or rivals. If she doesn't, they're trash and deserve no trust or compassion.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:26 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, after all the build up it would have been extremely underwhelming to have the first truly big fight only last a single episode. I fully expect at least another few episodes for the whole fight with several more forms, special moves, desperate plans and more. Anything less and it would not match the challenge of a unique monster. Mind you, given some of the stuff in the OP I do not think that the fight will last for the remainder of the season.

The episode itself was great. The fights were hectic and well animated and even while being put to the limit there were some solid jokes. As for Pencil-gon, she really is going all in with the ludicrous amount of money she is using up in the fight. It makes me wonder what kind of reward you would even get for beating a unique monster, it has to be something way out there to make it worthwhile.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10