• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Dub Madoka Magica Into English

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Max465

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:17 pm Reply with quote
*Head desks rapidly* WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY???

Aniplex USA announces three new titles and out of those three my least favorite is the only one to get a dub??? Damn Aniplex, they should all be getting dubs.

Hell, despite all the shit Funi has pulled recently they're still my favorite dubbers. Why? BECAUSE THEY DUB EVERYTHING THEY RELEASE TO DVD!!
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Max465 wrote:
*Head desks rapidly* WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY???

Aniplex USA announces three new titles and out of those three my least favorite is the only one to get a dub??? Damn Aniplex, they should all be getting dubs.

Hell, despite all the shit Funi has pulled recently they're still my favorite dubbers. Why? BECAUSE THEY DUB EVERYTHING THEY RELEASE TO DVD!!

Because they invest more money on (or dub) the thing that will likely sell the most and dubbing all their shows costs more money than they're willing to invest?
SilverPhantom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:29 pm Reply with quote
SO glad they are dubbing Madoka! I was getting a bit worried they would turn a blind eye to it.

I wonder how they will release it? I hoping for a full boxset from the start but that's probably asking to much.
Kohii

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:48 pm Reply with quote
This must be on Blu-ray, Aniplex. I was gonna get it, anyway. I thought the dub was a foregone conclusion. But the Blu-ray is a must.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:53 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALLELUJAH~!!!!!!!!!!! Now for the following to please come true!

Madoka: Hynden Walch
Homura: Michelle Ruff
Kyube: Kari Wahlgren
Kamijo: Bryce Papenbrook

Make this happen, Aniplex!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

THIS. GAWD. YES. ^5
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Never seen Madoka or Blue Exorcist... but....I can take a wild guess as to why they will dub Madoka over it.

Madoka is like what... 12 episodes? Blue Exorcist is a shounen title which is prompt to have over 50 episodes? New shounen series haven't been dubbed in a long long time and I doubt Aniplex wants to re-start dubbing them.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:04 pm Reply with quote
So I am now prying my foot out of my mouth for forgetting that Durarara!! was also an Aniplex title. Using that one as a guide, though, I suspect that we'll see either two six-episode releases around $35 MSRP or a single 12-ep set around $70 for PMMM.

And based on Durarara!!, I don't think that we have anything to worry about with the dub. Aniplex handed that one off to Bang Zoom! and they did a bang-up (heh!) job with it. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't get the call for this one, too.

Kougeru wrote:
However I still feel it's largely a waste because I think the majority of the people that buy it already saw it, and would prefer the Japanese voices. Chiwa Saito was just GODLY as Homura and the best english va's possible wouldnt be able to compare, it's like the character was made to fit HER. Aoi Yuki was great too....well the entire cast was, I just don't see anything comparing.

Not sure what you were listening to, but while I thought the Japanese voice acting was unusually good, I didn't hear anything in it that was so unique that it couldn't be duplicated by an English dub performance. (Although I am very curious to hear how an English-dubbed Kyubey sounds. That's going to be the tricky one.) You really need to listen to more dubs - like the Durarara!! one - if you truly think that there aren't American performers out there who are up to the task.

EDIT: Oh, and I would be shocked if this gets Adult Swim air time. I agree with dtm42 that it's much more than just an otaku title, but I don't see it having that much cross-over appeal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Netstryke

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:14 pm Reply with quote
HELLZ YEAH!!

This title was too popular not to have a dub option added to the show.

I assume that BangZoom will be given the assignment.

Ashen Phoenix wrote:

Madoka: Hynden Walch
Homura: Michelle Ruff (Agreed)
Kyube: Kari Wahlgren (Agreed)
Kamijo: Bryce Papenbrook

I would like to hear Shelby Lindley as Mami and Cassandra Lee as Sakura though (wishful thinking)

1 more thig...Not having Madoka Magica available on Blu-Ray is a BIG mistakebut this might be a "test the waters" thing.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:19 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Anyways, Rurouni Kenshin! Now that should be back on CN, right?! Very Happy

totally agree with you here.
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious about the difference in quality between the DVD and Bluray and how much it would help a show like this to be shown in bluray.While I liked the aesthetic of the show - in particular the witches, even if it was basically watching Shinbo masterbate on screen (the cutesy character designs were okay I guess) - the actual art and animation sags in parts and it feels like a bluray release will just make them more obvious.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:05 pm Reply with quote
SaiyanHero16 wrote:
You rock Aniplex!!

I wonder how many people are gonna say that whenever they announce the price, I.E. $39.98 or something like that. That was the pre-order price of Durarara!! when I bought it, and it was dubbed.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, an English dub certainly reduces the barriers to entry and it would be nice to hear another recent Los Angeles dub. If it were really spectacular and very ideally suited to my tastes, I would have bought it regardless, but an English dub lowers the bar appreciably. I'm definitely curious, but the praise and excitement over this has been so intense and focused that any interest that it encouraged in me looped back around and became wariness.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Happiness for Subaru
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Using that one as a guide, though, I suspect that we'll see either two six-episode releases around $35 MSRP or a single 12-ep set around $70 for PMMM.
Keeeeeeey! Now I've got the idea in my head and I'm going to be so sad if this doesn't happen. Sad
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:30 pm Reply with quote
JaffaOrange wrote:
I'm curious about the difference in quality between the DVD and Bluray and how much it would help a show like this to be shown in bluray.While I liked the aesthetic of the show - in particular the witches, even if it was basically watching Shinbo masterbate on screen (the cutesy character designs were okay I guess) - the actual art and animation sags in parts and it feels like a bluray release will just make them more obvious.

I've reviewed a few Blu-Rays where I had a DVD version to compare and, based on that, can say that the amount of visual difference the upgrade make to a non-videophile varies a lot from title to title and depends quite a bit on how old it is. BR seems to make a big difference in heavily CG-animated titles (like To), less so with titles mostly done with regular animation. And you're right, BR does tend to make any flaws in the visuals or animation more apparent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:10 am Reply with quote
Truthfully, I much rather see the new Rurouni Kenshin anime dubbed more than any of the other shows. Simply because the English dub of the final season was not aired in North America and that said, the ending was never shown in US.

I figured after the manga ended, that was the grand conclusion of the series and that was it. Completely surprised me that there is a new anime of Rurouni Kenshin and even more so, that Media Blasters might license it.

I am not saying Madoka is bad is not as good as Rurouni Kenshin, but Madoka not only got a complete series conclusion, it's licensed, has a dub and there is a chance it will be available in Blu-Ray form. That is impressive, even though I am not really interested in Madkoa Magica at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8