• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure Special Edition: Justin's Favorite Things

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Descent123 wrote:
It didn't take that long to find the 37 minute video of all the Gaga trailers. The BGC one was just funny since the guy (to my ears) was saying Knight Saviors (which was wrong of course), and also they don't want to get paid to fight boomers. Laughing

Of course the MD Geist one was pure gold. "Animated by Japan's top animators." Laughing

No wonder Gaga didn't do good at all, the trailers were terrible for any company to be interested.

I was surprised and happy to have Justin include this trailer reel, as Fred Patton mentions it in his "Fifteen Years of Japanese Animation Fandom, 1977-1992". What else is shown besides:

Bubblegum Crisis
Crystal Triangle
Humanoid, The
M.D. Geist
Madox-01
MAPS (1987)
Project A-Ko
Scoopers
Yotoden
yblees

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Oh Damn.
I'm at work, so I don't dare click on any of the trailer videos - esp not the hentai one... BUT I Really Want To!
Must wait till I get home ...
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Great column this time around. Man, so much history. I'll admit 'Armitage' is sexier than that chick.

MD Geist, one of the most talked about oldschool flick. I've never seen it, but I may have to check it out. Man that show must've had some serious violence issues. Razz
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Best. Article. Ever.

Seriously, Sushi TV and the the GAGA trailers made that article. This is the kind of stuff you saw back in the good ol days of VHS trade anime clubs. Very Happy
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:05 am Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
I think Devil Hunter Yohko was better than mediocre, but the first episode, at least, was decidedly ecchi.

Yeah. Going by ADV's commentary, episodes 2 and 3 were geared to make the series more like Sailor Moon, hence adding Azusa, toning down the ecchiness, and sending Sayoko and Madoka on vacation. Sometimes I wonder if the level of fanservice in the first episode was to compensate for the lower animation quality.

Used to have scans of Aya Hisakawa and Konami Yoshida cosplaying Yohko and Azusa.

Anyway, Gaga Communications I mostly associate with the Eko Eko Azarak live-action movies and TV series. Media Blasters/Rare Flix has VHS tapes of the TV series bundled with Misa Kuroi figures on eBay, but I haven't heard anything about a translated release. Bit scared to check what the going price for the Japanese DVD boxsets are these days.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:43 am Reply with quote
OK, well, if this thing had gotten off the ground...

Imagine the chick's lines for introducing Vampire Hunter D, something about a tall, dark, and handsome strong but silent type with a big sword who knows how to use it.
irishninja

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:54 pm Reply with quote
A toast to you, Justin! (Although I'll take my whiskey in the form of Jameson's.) Very Happy

I'd watch the video clips you posted but work prohibits streaming videos. I'm sure everything you talk about is truly awesome or truly awful, as appropriate. Laughing
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Some of the higher-ups at ADV used to run the West Houston Anime Club (WHAT!?), and believe-you-me they knew what they were doing and were ready and willing way back then when they got on the Eva train. They were even bringing in their dumped tapes before they went to replication to show it to us. After that, I think licensing City Hunter hit them where it hurt, and you can see them kind of move away from "classics" after those lapsed.

Matt Greenfield told me in 96 or 97 that he would have loved to have licensed Patlabor (which went, of course, to CPM), but that he felt Eva was a stronger choice. I think he was right. All of those guys were hardcore old-school anime fans. He also stated that much of the companies early stuff was cheap to license and it sells. I asked him if it was "the Roger Corman" ethic, and he laughed.

David Williams also noted in some interviews that he would have liked to have released Crusher Joe.

Anyway, yeah, Madox eventually came from Fujisankei in NYC, I believe.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote
Someone mentioned a trailer clip for the hentai video, but I didn't see it on there. Is it, um...THAT inappropriate? I know there's no such thing as appropriate hentai, but...

Another note on CPM's back catalog, I'm amazed at what kinds of utter CRAP they licensed in terms of hentai. I mean most hentai is disturbing or perverse in its own special way, but DAMN.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:04 pm Reply with quote
irishninja wrote:
Although I'll take my whiskey in the form of Jameson's

Same here. I find Jack Daniels to be disgusting, but I do love Jameson. Goes down nice and smooth. Just what I need after yesterday being out and about as a driver helper since 9:30 delivering packages in near white-out conditions with nary a plowed road till 3:00. Just drive where you think the road is and hope you don't end up in a ditch. And then having to plow through half a foot of snow to set the package on the person's porch. Man, are my arms sore today.

I saw Armitage III among the shows in that Shushi TV reel so their choice of anime wasn't all bad.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Someone mentioned a trailer clip for the hentai video, but I didn't see it on there. Is it, um...THAT inappropriate? I know there's no such thing as appropriate hentai, but...

Yeah, there's absolutely no way I can get away with showing this stuff on ANN. My personal goal in making hentai trailers was "shock and horrify."
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Oh pshaw. You could easily show clips from stuff like F-Force, La Blue Girl, and Night Shift Nurses. -_^
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
Upon reading about the home-burned Patlabor DVD, I have to ask this: Why don't they use Manga UK to dub anime anymore?

Because you have to figure in travel expenses for the people who'd be going from Britain to the US or vice versa...not to mention that I doubt some of the UK actors get much work anymore...etc

Couldn't they just as easily record online? Or just send the ADR drector and sound engineer overseas, do the recording, then bring the audio files back here to the States.
That is what Manga UK did only in reverse, when they dubbed GiTS Innocence in R2 before the US dub. They went to California, produced the dub using the original VAs, then brought the master back to the UK for burning into dupilcates. Mind you that was when the £ was worth $2. Now it would be cheaper sending the VA's to London. ( I'm looking at you Nozomi, Bring VR Emma over for a proper dub mate. You know it makes sense.) Wink
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Now it would be cheaper sending the VA's to London. ( I'm looking at you Nozomi, Bring VR Emma over for a proper dub mate. You know it makes sense.) Wink

Animax-Asia's promo for EMMA season 2 is subtitled, though that could just mean the dub isn't done yet or the promo was done way in advance. Right now they're re-running S1 again.

Watching the subtitled preview episode on the Otaku USA DVD convinced me that I can't watch the show in Japanese, good as Yumi Touma is. TV broadcast is probably the only thing that'll justify the cost of dubbing.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
Upon reading about the home-burned Patlabor DVD, I have to ask this: Why don't they use Manga UK to dub anime anymore?

Because you have to figure in travel expenses for the people who'd be going from Britain to the US or vice versa...not to mention that I doubt some of the UK actors get much work anymore...etc

Couldn't they just as easily record online? Or just send the ADR drector and sound engineer overseas, do the recording, then bring the audio files back here to the States.
That is what Manga UK did only in reverse, when they dubbed GiTS Innocence in R2 before the US dub. They went to California, produced the dub using the original VAs, then brought the master back to the UK for burning into dupilcates. Mind you that was when the £ was worth $2. Now it would be cheaper sending the VA's to London. ( I'm looking at you Nozomi, Bring VR Emma over for a proper dub mate. You know it makes sense.) Wink

If RightStuf wasn't cutting corners and had the means, there'd be no other way to dub Emma but with genuine Brits.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6