• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Comedian/Actor Robin Williams Passes Away at 63

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:29 pm Reply with quote
shira:
Quote:
No controversy or bad gossips whatsoever.

He did have issues, but he was a guy who tried his best to be a positive force for good.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:29 am Reply with quote
Usually the death of a familiar celebrity makes me think, "Aww, that's too bad," but this one just hurts. His work was such a huge part of my childhood, and he always seemed like he was so full of life and energy. To know that someone who brought laughter to so many people succumbed to the godawful disease that is depression...it's just not right. Sad
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:58 am Reply with quote
It's really sad that Robin Williams passed away. It's a shame he isn't going to be around anymore. I thought he'd always be around like Dick Clark and a few others. I had no idea he liked anime. Well,it's a shame he never got to dub one. He would have been spectacular in one. I knew he liked "Evangelion" but I didn't know he liked others. Sad
The whole thing is sad all around. So long,Robin. You'll be missed. You left this world far too soon in my opinion. Sad
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:43 am Reply with quote
Never thought I'd live to see the day this man died. Said the same thing about losing my dad earlier this year too.

I always thought that Robin Williams would live forever, right up there with Morgan Freeman, but sadly that wasn't meant to be. I've never been this upset over a celebrity dying. Robin, may you find comfort in heaven. And my you rest in peace now and forever.

Genie, you're free!
nellmccror

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:16 am Reply with quote
R.I.P Robin Williams
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:31 am Reply with quote
Man, I just realized his Genie might've made it to Kingdom Hearts, if he didn't have that dispute with Disney. Crying or Very sad
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:31 am Reply with quote
doomydoomdoom wrote:

Also, the certain reason that he never acted for a Ghibli dub, despite being a fan of anime (!), was that he was on bad terms with Disney from they made Aladdin in the early 90s to 2009 when he reconciled with them. He didn't even contribute to the Aladdin DVD release, apparently.

This may explain that a bit:

Robin Williams blazed animation trail with 'Aladdin'

• In signing for the picture, Williams had stipulated a contract which stated that his voice could only be used in the movie and not in publicity, because he was working for “actor’s scale” or minimum wage, primarily so his children could hear him in a Disney film, according to Disney historian Jim Korkis.

Disney inadvertently broke that agreement, triggering a feud with the actor which later led to Disney presenting Williams with a Picasso painting worth $1 million in an effort to smooth over the row.

The movie was also significant for another innovation, according to animation expert Beck, in that Disney gave Williams free rein “to improvise, and they used the improvisation.”

“That’s a practice that started right there and continues to today,” Beck said.

“When they bring in Jack Black or Eddie Murphy to do a voice, they allow them to run wild—that’s something that started with Robin Williams,” said Beck, editor in chief of the website Cartoon Research.

In all, Williams recorded some 16 hours of freewheeling improvisations for what was to be only a 90-minute movie.

“For instance, in the opening peddler scene (where Williams also does the voice of that character), Disney brought out a table of miscellaneous items, put a sheet over them and had Williams reach under and pull an item out blindly and then comment,” Korkis revealed.

“He pulled out a bra, put it on his head and quipped ‘A double yarmulke!’ Obviously, most of those ad-libs could not be used,” added Korkis, author of “The Revised Vault of Walt,” chronicling the Disney empire.
Southkaio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Rest in peace, Genie!
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:07 am Reply with quote
I just got this on Twitter, according to Gamepolitics, there was a petition to Nintendo to put Robin Williams in the next Legend of Zelda game.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:49 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
I just got this on Twitter, according to Gamepolitics, there was a petition to Nintendo to put Robin Williams in the next Legend of Zelda game.

Wouldn't it make more sense for him to be apart of something like Kingdom of Hearts as he had stared in numerous Disney roles rather than Zelda; I get that he was a fan and that his daughter is named Zelda but other than that (to my knowledge) he doesn't have any deep connections with Nintendo. Don't get me wrong it would be sweet but it wouldn't have much meaning behind it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Wouldn't it make more sense for him to be apart of something like Kingdom of Hearts as he had stared in numerous Disney roles rather than Zelda; I get that he was a fan and that his daughter is named Zelda but other than that (to my knowledge) he doesn't have any deep connections with Nintendo. Don't get me wrong it would be sweet but it wouldn't have much meaning behind it.

Well it's possible we could see him in future Kingdom Hearts game. But Nintendo has a good relation with Robin's daughter, I mean didn't you read the article:

Quote:
"Robin Williams was loved at Nintendo," the company said in a statement. "Our hearts go out to his entire family, and especially to Zelda Williams who we’ve worked with multiple times. We appreciate the outpouring of support from the gaming community, and hear the request of fans to honor him in a future game," said the company in a statement.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I read the article but it's his daughter how has the solid connection, it would be a show of respect from Nintendo but I don't think Zelda is the way to do it. For me it just doesn't fit. Maybe some kind of "The Robin Williams Story" film further down the line as that's what he's known for and how he became a household name.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I and many other people also wrote to Nintendo to suggest them to just dedicate the next Zelda game (coming out for Wii U in 2015) to him.

Anyway, I still can't get over his death. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
Yeah I read the article but it's his daughter how has the solid connection, it would be a show of respect from Nintendo but I don't think Zelda is the way to do it. For me it just doesn't fit. Maybe some kind of "The Robin Williams Story" film further down the line as that's what he's known for and how he became a household name.

Well it would be nice Nintendo can somehow pay homage to Robin Williams. It doesn't have to be Zelda.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6