• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: More Haruhi Suzumiya Auditions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
youkai_ronin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:31 am Reply with quote
CGord wrote:
1: Johnny Yong Bosch
2:
3:
4:
5: Crispin Freeman?

I think Johnny would be good in this one; I thought of him first as Kyon, but now, I dunno...he almost sounds too young. He fits well as Itsuki , though.

Those would be the choices im currently entertaining right now Neutral And i have to agree that number 5 sounds a lot like Crispin Freeman, just by the way he says "Haruhi"(which is funny since their were some people who thought his voice would be too deep and "adult" sounding, though it usually is in most of his roles).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:34 am Reply with quote
CGord wrote:
2:
3:
4:
5: Crispin Freeman?

I think Johnny would be good in this one; I thought of him first as Kyon, but now, I dunno...he almost sounds too young. He fits well as Itsuki , though.

#5 DOES sound like Crispin Freeman! Wow, good ear.

#1 sounds smooth and light, the way Itsuki should sound. I just wish he could have pronounced "Haruhi" right.

#2 is trying too hard.

#3 sounds okay - just the right amount of faux-exasperation and knowing humor

#4 is too gruff

#5 is too gruff

#1 edges out #3 just slightly, though, so Bosch gets my vote.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CGord

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:45 am Reply with quote
youkai_ronin wrote:
And i have to agree that number 5 sounds a lot like Crispin Freeman, just by the way he says "Haruhi"(which is funny since their were some people who thought his voice would be too deep and "adult" sounding, though it usually is in most of his roles).

I'm one of those, for sure! I equate his name with lower-voiced roles, just because that's what I always hear him doing. As I said in the other thread, though, I just watched his interview in the Eureka Seven vol 5 extras, & his normal speaking voice is higher. It surprised me.

I think it's him from the phrase "sometime in the future", especially the word "future". Sounds like a friendlier Alucard/Holland/Tsume/Amon. Wink

And I never thought I'd say this, but he could do a good Kyon.
WraithAkaMrak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:50 am Reply with quote
For Koizumi. #5 is the only one I like so far.

I mean, Johnny Yong Bosch (#1) is a talented VA, but I've heard him in practically every other series as a major or prominent minor character, so I'm kinda worn out on his voice for a good while now.

For #5, the voice didn't sound quite like what I was expecting for Koizumi... but that last line "I have something to show you, but for now, I'll give you the short version" just sounds like it has some real character behind it. I think it could work for Koizumi pretty well. Would be nice to hear some different lines of dialogue.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:54 am Reply with quote
WraithAkaMrak wrote:
For Koizumi. #5 is the only one I like so far.

I mean, Johnny Yong Bosch (#1) is a talented VA, but I've heard him in practically every other series as a major or prominent minor character, so I'm kinda worn out on his voice for a good while now.

And you aren't worn out on Crispin Freeman, who has ALSO been in practically every other series as a major or prominent minor character?

Even if you didn't know, I have a feeling that some other people are going to be voting for Crispin Freeman simply because they like his previous voice roles and not because he's right for the character. And conversely, even if Bosch has been overexposed, if he's right for the role, he's right for the role.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
WraithAkaMrak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:02 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
And you aren't worn out on Crispin Freeman, who has ALSO been in practically every other series as a major or prominent minor character?

Even if you didn't know, I have a feeling that some other people are going to be voting for Crispin Freeman simply because they like his previous voice roles and not because he's right for the character. And conversely, even if Bosch has been overexposed, if he's right for the role, he's right for the role.
Well, I didn't think Bosch's version sounded all that Koizumi-like either (no offense).

Freeman's voice seems to have a bit more variation between roles than Bosch's. I mean, I didn't really notice it sounded like Freeman until a few more listens. And I think from the sample in #5, that he could make a pretty good Koizumi, even if he didn't sound quite like it at first.
Kriz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:37 am Reply with quote
here's who I think they sound like:

2: Quinton Flynn (I think)

3: Derek Steven Prince (again, not sure)

4: Dave Wittenburg

5: Crispin Freeman
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:54 am Reply with quote
Had to listen to everyone a couple of times and my top two a few more, but I settled on 5. Number 1 is also good but there just seems to be something missing. The voice seems a little too conspiritorial in tone, like he's trying to con someone.

Numbers 2 and 4 just sound way too light-hearted, too laid back, like they don't really care at all. Also, and no offense intended, but they sound a little dull witted to my ear.

Number 3 sounds good for the first half of the lines but then sound almost like he's making a joke when he says "but for now, I'll give you the short version."

In my opinion, 5 strikes the right balance of laid back and serious while also sounding kind of brotherly, like he's offering advice. Also, this voice is the only one which really sounded wise to me. Voice 5 sounded like the kind of voice you'd hear coming from someone very intelligent and very kind. Koizumi always struck me as the "elder brother" of the group, the one who understood everyone's feelings and just wanted to keep anything bad from happening. (That's just how I felt about the character.)
quigonkenny

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:57 am Reply with quote
I was kinda hoping Crispin Freeman would be playing Kyon. I was envisioning something akin to his Straight Cougar voice from S-CRY-ed (they both speak quickly), just maybe a little more sarcastic. Well, we haven't seen Kyon's auditions yet, and there were a couple of shared VAs between Mikuru and Yuki, so we may hear him again.

That said, he was the best out of the five. I think Jonny Yong Bosch could have given him a run for it, or even beaten him out, but his reading was just too subdued for Koizumi. I think he'd make a pretty good Tanaguchi, just not with this voice.

I am curious who the other three were, though. #2 is definitely not Richard Cox (Inuyasha's VA), although I don't know who he is. #4 in particular sounds very familiar.
Netstryke

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:22 am Reply with quote
Well since everyone here seems to be playing "Identity", let me play.

#1. is without a doubt, Johnny Yong Bosch

#2. MPO might be Dave Wittenburg , I mean in a natural conversation, that could be the throw off.

After hearing it a few times, I think #3 could be Yuri Lowenthal

#4 (total stab) Steven Prince

As for #5, Contrary to other posts, I honestly don't think it's Crispin Freeman. I could be wrong but it doesn't feel/sound like a Crispin role. (when it gets to Kyon, Welllll! That's another post!)

As for my vote for the voice of "Itsuki" 2 seems to be a more natural fit. So that's where I'm voting.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:26 am Reply with quote
DELETE.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:39 am Reply with quote
This is the first time I"m voting agains the crowd, but I really liked #4. I thought he sounded cheerful and friendly without sounding too....overwhelmingly so.

I love both JYB and Crispin Freeman, but Freeman's version sounded too...lazy, to me. I know that I don't know the character as well as some of you all but is he REALLY supposed to be that lazy?

And I thought JYB almost sounded kinda depressed, so....Anime hyper

Although, I love both of them as actors, so if they do get the role, I'm sure they would do a great job. Maybe they just recorded these early in the morning. Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:39 pm Reply with quote
1 is Bosch. I think 2 is Yuri Lowenthal. First impression says #3 is Steve Staley. 4 is Dave Wittenburg and 5 is most certainly Crispin.

#3 FTW, although it looks like there's favoratism afoot.
quigonkenny

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Kriz wrote:
here's who I think they sound like:

2: Quinton Flynn (I think)

3: Derek Steven Prince (again, not sure)

4: Dave Wittenburg

5: Crispin Freeman

I'm pretty sure that's right. #1 was obviously JYB from the first word. #5 threw me for a bit, but after listening to the way he says a few of the words ("Haruhi," specifically) it's now pretty obvious to me that it's Freeman (I just hope we hear him again for Kyon). #4 had been bugging me, but as soon as I saw Dave Wittenberg (Naruto's Kakashi-sensei), I knew that was right. #2 and #3 I still wasn't sure about, but after pulling up an episode of Bleach I had recorded a few weeks ago, I do agree they sound very much like Kon (human form) and Ishida, respectively.

Richard J. wrote:
Had to listen to everyone a couple of times and my top two a few more, but I settled on 5. Number 1 is also good but there just seems to be something missing. The voice seems a little too conspiritorial in tone, like he's trying to con someone.

In my opinion, 5 strikes the right balance of laid back and serious while also sounding kind of brotherly, like he's offering advice. Also, this voice is the only one which really sounded wise to me. Voice 5 sounded like the kind of voice you'd hear coming from someone very intelligent and very kind. Koizumi always struck me as the "elder brother" of the group, the one who understood everyone's feelings and just wanted to keep anything bad from happening. (That's just how I felt about the character.)

That's funny, because I've always thought much the opposite about Koizumi, that he's always got an ulterior motive for everything, and that his cheery exterior is a bit of a façade. Don't get me wrong, he's certainly one of the good guys, but he's much more Lando Calrissian than Luke Skywalker. Of course, I could just have been swayed by Kyon's attitude towards him in the books.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I chose number one because he sounded the most serious yet brought the original feel of Japanese Itsuki in. My mom also felt that one sounded the best. When we listened to number five me, my mom and my sister were all laughing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9