• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman: Genre Tropes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starre257

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:16 pm Reply with quote
LittleFoot wrote:
I'm willing to bet that the person who listed it as the worst anime didn't even bother to watch it. All my friends put it off too because of the title. Too bad. It's a really great show.

I know! It's my favorite series, and so many people hear me mention the title and say "Eww, that sounds so immature/pointless/etc." It really annoys me.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
Odds are if you've had an idea atleast one other person in the world has had the same one too, right?

One word: Vampirates

I thought it was going to make me millions, then I find out that someone else came up with the idea (same name, ever) several years before I did.

I can understand someone else coming along and thinking up "pirate vampires" or "vampire pirates" or whatever else... But, COME ON!? "VAMPIRATES"!?

Totally unfair. But a nice example of your statement.
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:37 pm Reply with quote
skyechan wrote:
Manga is CHEAPER. For the price of one anime DVD usually you can buy two manga. My wallet appreciates this fact. A lot. (Heck, if you really wanna be cheap, go to a con and purchase the original Japanese manga for $6 each, whereas a lot of the vendors will jack up the prices of the anime DVDs.)

By the way, (I haven't read the two pages that followed this post, so I'm not sure that no one has pointed this out yet), in Japan, you can probably get about two volumes of any manga for about $6. I have the first two volumes of 20th Century Boys in Japanese on my desk that I bought in a nice bookstore in Harajuku for about 350 yen each.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Manga.

A series based on manga isn't really required to suffer from the same problems with anime: The viral marketing of other products, the bad airing time, the harsh tangents with the storyline due to the number of episodes, and the current fact that the animation studios are suffering.

Not to say that manga is superior over anime. It usually depends on the manga. And, usually due to teamwork between the manga creator and the studio behind the anime based on the manga, said anime could turn out to be a complimentary product alongside the manga.

But there are just times when manga is appreciated more.
Cicatriz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:46 pm Reply with quote
What's all the Knights of Ramune hate? Anime cry It's certainly not in the top 50, maybe even 75 anime I've seen, but it wasn't that terrible. I guess the nudity was awfully pointless, but the theme song was awesome!

Maybe it can't be said that the magical girl genre is dead, but I think good magical genre is dead. There's only been a few magical girl shows in the last few years I've really like, mostly Lyrical Nanoha [and As, but not Strikers] and Sugar Sugar Rune.

Pretty Cure needed better art, that's for sure.
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:02 pm Reply with quote
When we compare anime to manga here, is it just anime that are based on manga? Because I have to say, I generally like anime more for many of the reasons TopGun pointed out earlier, but the fact is that a huge portion of my favorite anime are original works and aren't based on manga. Paranoia Agent, Ergo Proxy, Texhnolyze, Samurai Champloo, Witch Hunter Robin, Gankutsuou...the list goes on.

The point is that I think as far as original works go, anime as a medium has more potential than manga to grab my attention. As far as anime based on manga go, I think there's no question that, in general, the manga is probably going to be better in most cases.
Chesis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:11 pm Reply with quote
What worries me about the decline of maho shojo is that it means potentially losing part of the audience. Real-world romance shojo tend to skew to older audiences, which means anime producers are now ignoring younger girls who aren't interested in boys and shennanegans yet. And when you stop programming toons for girls, girls stop watching them. Take a look at what happened in the US during the 80s, and how we went from JEM and She-Ra to cartoon programming almost completely devoid of female leads.

The crossover with moe/loli really bothers me, because Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura were role models to some extent. Girls were meant to identify with them. So having sexualized characters aimed at little girls strikes me as extremely creepy and inappropriate. In fact, the only maho shojo I've liked in the past couple of years have been "Maho Shojo Tai Alice" and "Princess Tutu."

My vote for worst anime ever goes to Psychic Academy. Web-based, totally pointless, fanservicey action drek.
condorfan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote: This week's topic was spurned by a letter I got...

MsCongeniality wrote:
Are you sure it wasn't spurred? Spurning tends to make me think of romance dramas and heaving bosoms. Wink

Checking the Concise Oxford...
"Spurned", repelled, thrust back, rejected with disdain.
"Spurred", stimulate (interest in), incite (person to do something).

I figured what Zac meant was 'spawned', at least in context... Smile though spurred works as well.
kamui85

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Two closely related, but different mediums. Can’t compare them; can’t say ones better than the other. It depends on the title itself. Witch ones better? Death note (manga) or Pretear (anime)? Two different worlds.
Say you’re in the bus can you pull out a TV and watch an entire episode as you could read various chapters of a manga volume? (Well this I don’t see being challenge for much to long as now days even i Pods, and such, can display good video quality). Manga is much more intimate and engaging. But does that make it better against the power of sound and motion anime has?
...God I’ll stop now… even I don’t know where I’m going with this. L.o.L. but I hope you get my point.
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Humm one thing I was kinda surprised about was when I was surfing around in online fandom a while ago is that one series I watched early on in my anime viewing career, s.CRY.ed, was considered by many to be a huge hunk of crap Anime hyper! I didn't really think it was at the time, and I haven't seen it since, so I dunno. I enjoyed it well enough. Maybe it's cause I love the seiyuu--no one can scream quite like Hoshi and Midorikawa. Put them togehter and you have some fun times Anime hyper!!!

And on the magical girl thing, very few appeal to me, but it is interesting that there hasn't really been a hugely successful magical girl series in quite some time. It's be nice to see I think. Shonen fair seem to have taken the main stage these days in terms of what's become successful in North America anyway.

Manga vs anime -- I tend to watch alot more anime than I read manga. However, in some cases (such as most CLAMP works) I don't watch the anime anymore, and with some I really enjoy I do both. I think that anime and manga are two very different creatures that both have strengths and weaknesses so it's asinine to compare them really. Some good manga become pretty poor anime (*cough* tsubasa*cough*) and some less than stellar manga become good anime. It's an individual assessment I think. The closer the anime is to the manga, the better the anime tends to be though I find. There are a few exceptions to that though I'm sure.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Deleted.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:50 pm Reply with quote
andrael wrote:
Fronzel wrote:
The mid-season climax impressed me to no end...a bitter, hard-fought battle with zero violence!

"Clearly, this conflict can only be settled through BALLET."

I know you're joking, but I'll respond to that anyway since the fancy takes me: it was ridiculous if you think about it like that, but Tutu demands, and more importantly, creates a greater suspension of disbelief. Its connection to ballet, which requires a similar level of suspension of disbelief, and the comments from the creepy author guy about how this story that he’s writingis progressing effectively guide you into thinking more about the plot in terms of the emotions the characters are experiencing rather than the actions they can take.

LittleFoot wrote:
Why is Princess Tutu considered a magical girl anime? I've always considered it a fairytale. I'm willing to bet that the person who listed it as the worst anime didn't even bother to watch it. All my friends put it off too because of the title. Too bad. It's a really great show.

Well, it does star a klutzy oaf who secrectly transforms into a dazzling new form of beauty and power every episode to solve problems. The first few episodes even look a little like they use the “X of the Week” formula.
01N10A01N

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:

the truly bad stuff like Angel Cop, Violence Jack, and Mad Bull 34--which I refer to as "the Manga Video Holy Trinity of Suck".

I see your Manga Video trinity of suck, match it with the CPM trinity of suck; Demon City, Cybernetic Guardian, and Ichi the Killer and raise you Kimera , De:Vadasy, and If I see You in My Dreams TV (The OVA incarnation is barely watchable- the TV version reeks a mile away) ...

Mad Bull 34 is a true work of art- I mean right after saving the girl from the guys who robbed the Kwiki-Mart with hockey masks (Who robs a store in a hockey mask and is packing several guns??) Mad Bull tells his partner to shove his finger in her- well to get her off him as she's in shock- Now that is Classsssy.

I had high hopes for this Hey AnswerFan segment.... I was surely let down by the answers. The only truly steaming piles of manure mentioned were Mouse and Virus Buster Serge... Which while not good Anime, especially Virus Buster (The dub sounds like it was made in swimming pool), but come-on Doomed Megapolis is much more suckier than anything mentioned so far. And no mention of Casshan???

--

This must be one sheltered group.

And this weeks question... Manga vs Anime.... What type of question is that?? It's like asking what do you like better Novels or Movies.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:18 pm Reply with quote
01N10A01N wrote:

And this weeks question... Manga vs Anime.... What type of question is that?? It's like asking what do you like better Novels or Movies.

It's a hacky, lazy question. I was out of steam by the time I got to writing it so it sucks this week. As you can see, though, it's something people like to discuss.
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I have to say something about the person who out right dismissed Princess Tutu. I have to ask if he or she has ever seen the show, and if not they are in no position to make a blatant, unsupported statement with no evidence at all.

I'm sorry, but I had to get that off my chest. Evil or Very Mad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10