• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Would you step out of your comfort zone?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ wrote:

I do not see the problem here. For the vast majority of anime fans, there are plenty of titles in the archives that provide satisfactory viewing. It is the burden of the fan to find enough anime to fill whatever his leisure time he decides to devote to anime, and if he turns to older anime because he thinks the currently airing titles are unsatisfactory, that is a perfectly legitimate choice. It is the burden of the companies to sell their titles to the anime fans. If they cannot entice a person to try their titles based on the promotional artwork and the description, then it is the failing of the companies to fail to attract viewers. I see no reason to accuse the viewer of anything if he elects to not try uninteresting seeming titles.

Ah HA, BUT

There's a pretty big difference between going "None of the summer anime previews interest me much" and going "This summer anime is all shit. I hate them all." when the viewer hasn't even TRIED 'all'.

There's plenty of reason to accuse the viewer of "being full of it" if the viewer is hating on anime they haven't watched properly!
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\--
Those are very interesting symbols. Welcome to the fora.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ wrote:

I do not see the problem here. For the vast majority of anime fans, there are plenty of titles in the archives that provide satisfactory viewing. It is the burden of the fan to find enough anime to fill whatever his leisure time he decides to devote to anime, and if he turns to older anime because he thinks the currently airing titles are unsatisfactory, that is a perfectly legitimate choice. It is the burden of the companies to sell their titles to the anime fans. If they cannot entice a person to try their titles based on the promotional artwork and the description, then it is the failing of the companies to fail to attract viewers. I see no reason to accuse the viewer of anything if he elects to not try uninteresting seeming titles.

Ah HA, BUT

There's a pretty big difference between going "None of the summer anime previews interest me much" and going "This summer anime is all shit. I hate them all." when the viewer hasn't even TRIED 'all'.

There's plenty of reason to accuse the viewer of "being full of it" if the viewer is hating on anime they haven't watched properly!

Chiibi is right. It's one thing to think a set group of shows LOOK bad or don't interest you. You really cannot say they're all shit unless you have at least given them all a chance first. It's the same thing I see from a lot of newer anime fans when they bash older anime titles. There are many fans who instantly slam down older titles because they are not as visually stunning as many of today's shows. Or the voice cast was not as good. Or whatever reason they give without given those older shows a real chance first. As has been mentioned there are going to be bad and good examples in any season, from any year, or even any decade. No one has to automatically like a particular show, or group of shows, but to dismiss them entirely without at least previewing it first is rather presumptuous.
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I personally like the new stuff. I think this season I stuck with more shows than in any prior season. Some of it was not absolutely fantastic, but it was certainly good enough to keep me interested enough to watch which I can't say for some prior seasons.

I'm following 9 different series that started this season (and 2 from prior season, making 11, and another one I want to watch but haven't - Rinne no Lagrange). If released, there is really not one of these shows I won't buy, although some of them would get a higher priority than others.

I would instantly pre-order
Accel World
Sword Art Online
Kokoro Connect
Oda Nobuna no Yabou
Dog Days

I would order but perhaps not pre-order
Muv-Luv Alternative
Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate
Kono Naka ni Hitori Imouto Ga Iru
Campione!
Dakara Boku wa H ga Dekinai

The lowest priority is
Hagure Yuusha no Estetica, which I admit is not as good as any of the others as the fanservice is inferior to it's closest competitor at the bottom of the list above and it has some annoying aspects to it.

So anyway, I'm definitely not unhappy with this season. Admittedly, I like fanservice, but even if I did not I think there are 4-5 of these shows do just fine without much of that.
magmalord

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ wrote:

Ah HA, BUT

Chiibi is right. It's one thing to think a set group of shows LOOK bad or don't interest you. You really cannot say they're all shit unless you have at least given them all a chance first. It's the same thing I see from a lot of newer anime fans when they bash older anime titles. There are many fans who instantly slam down older titles because they are not as visually stunning as many of today's shows. Or the voice cast was not as good. Or whatever reason they give without given those older shows a real chance first. As has been mentioned there are going to be bad and good examples in any season, from any year, or even any decade. No one has to automatically like a particular show, or group of shows, but to dismiss them entirely without at least previewing it first is rather presumptuous.

Well, its not the persons fault to say all modern anime is shit because 98% of it is, maybe even more, because all compnies do is pander to the otaku audience instead of making a work of art, or at least something entertaining that doesn't have fanservice.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
magmalord wrote:
Well, its not the persons fault to say all modern anime is shit because 98% of it is, maybe even more, because all compnies do is pander to the otaku audience instead of making a work of art, or at least something entertaining that doesn't have fanservice.

Thank you for providing yourself as my example.

You're saying 2/100 shows in any given year are mediocre at worst, while the rest are completely undesirable. Yeah, okay, if you subscribe to the video game rating system where if it's not a 9.5 or above it's worthless. Sturgeon's Law is aptly named, because it reeks of rotting fish. I'd say of those 100 titles in a given year, maybe 15 are utter trash, with the same number being considered great, and the bulk range from below to above average: not bad, not great, but mediocre/adequate/acceptable/watchable/streamable/tolerable.

The averages are better than they used to be for TV. There's plenty of kids programming today, but if you go back 20 years the majority of it was for ages 12 and under, with a rare item for older audiences. In a season of 20 new shows, maybe 3 or 4 were worth checking out, and that's not just A+ titles, but including the just above average ones also. Any given season today will offer you 25-30, and a good 15 or more are worth looking into, if you're open-minded.

If you only want THE BEST OF THE BEST OF THE BEST of what anime has to offer, you're going to miss out on a ton, and you're never going to have much to watch, and you'll always be disappointed because of your too-high expectations. I don't think it's standards in as much as being picky. It's not like watching anime even costs you as much as it did when you could only blind-buy. Those "standards" are ridiculous. If I wanted everything in anime to be Miyazaki and Oshii, I'd hate the entire medium. Luckily, my standards and expectations are set at the bare minimum, I get to have a blast every 3 months.

To me, anime follows a bell curve, one that's skewed to the positive even. Not everything is going to be impeccable, neither will it be trash, and I'm fine with watching the middle.
Bonham

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
If I wanted everything in anime to be Miyazaki and Oshii, I'd hate the entire medium. Luckily, my standards and expectations are set at the bare minimum, I get to have a blast every 3 months.

This feels like a mischaracterization. Not necessarily of people saying that practically all new anime sucks, but rather those like ikillchicken and myself that have expressed disappointment in finding that there are less truly standout/excellent anime. I've outlined in my previous points what I want (not just good anime, which is still being produced, but well-done anime that can stand up to some of the best of film and television elsewhere). My expectations (for excellence, and note I'm only talking about anime series, which Miyazaki and Oshii have little association) have been met plenty of times before. I don't see why it would be unreasonable to hope that they continue to be met.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
My expectations ... have been met plenty of times before. I don't see why it would be unreasonable to hope that they continue to be met.

Well, my expectations for excellence are being met practically every season, and I'm a fusspot with notoriously high standards.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
My expectations (for excellence, and note I'm only talking about anime series, which Miyazaki and Oshii have little association) have been met plenty of times before. I don't see why it would be unreasonable to hope that they continue to be met.

It isn't but there is a difference between saying there is nothing that appeals to you personally and saying that the objective quality of said shows are crap. I can like things that are of lower quality and I can dislike things that are higher quality without any problem.

I'm not saying that you are necessarily one of the people who does this, mind you (your post does actually seem to suggest otherwise), but certainly others who have posted here seem of the mindset that if they don't like it, that must mean it's terrible.

That said, I honestly haven't seen much, if any, drop off in quality in the recent anime seasons and in fact have two new all-time favourite series that I always think are exceptionally well-made series which are still new (Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Bunny Drop). And from what I've read about some of the even more recent offerings, I would probably have more new shows to love if I had the available bandwidth to watch them.

Last edited by marie-antoinette on Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bonham

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Well yeah, standards vary from person to person, things will be different for people coming from a literature/film/animation background as opposed to no background, values may differ from the consensus, etc etc etc.

Plus there's a few series I still need to check out that you mentioned.

I relate more to Zac and Justin a bit now. And y'know, I loved Madoka Magica and Kids on the Slope, and really enjoyed other series (and obviously movies!), as well. But after watching and studying world cinema and the best of American television, I just can't change my emotions on a dime. Zac and Just recently said in another ANNCast that being "judgy" (or critical, whatever) is not the same as being close-minded (or rather that one is open-minded, but just not easy to please). Unless you're an Armond White, I think people should be open to critical and opposing viewpoints (even those at the usually argumentative Hooded Utilitarian, where the harsh standards of many regulars there outclass the pessimism here!).

Edit: Saw this after my original post:

marie-antoinette wrote:
I'm not saying that you are necessarily one of the people who does this, mind you (your post does seem to suggest otherwise), but certainly others who have posted here seem of the mindset that if they don't like it, that means it must be bad.

Those type of people have always been around, tho. I don't think it's a matter of rose-tinted glasses all the time, but a lot of the "in the old days..." viewpoints also come from people who didn't experience those times. What survives from anime in the 1970s, '80s, etc. as memorable and great is different from the drek that filled in so many other time slots. We don't have to remember the horrible series/films/OVAs. Same thing for any industry or medium.

There are arguments to be made that certain periods may be better than others. Certainly I find arguments in favor of the Hollywood studio system or New Hollywood age to be easier to swallow than Hollywood of the past 30 years (even though plenty of excellent films are still being made in America). But arguments like those tend to get drowned out by idiots who insist that nothing good is made anymore (how many disparaging remarks have you seen made by people about Hollywood nowadays, and they've probably seen maybe a few summer blockbusters a year at best?).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:43 pm Reply with quote
The problem doesn't seem be to being judgy, it's being pre-judgy, making value calls before having seen a single episode. That's what gets to me.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:54 am Reply with quote
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Because they try maybe 3 shows, look at the descriptions for the rest, and hastily conclude it's all crap without actually bothering to check it out legitimately.

While it's not a bad way to go per say, since you probably will find some gems, it all depends on whether the person in question is okay with being an anime troglodyte and being left behind and unable to contribute to many discussions. The big downside is eventually the person is going to hit a wall after they exausted all the older stuff that interested them and either burn out or adapt. I know I'm not okay with it, so instead I balance my viwing of new stuff with older things and get the best of both worlds.
Pixelationist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Being a miserable old geezer also my instinct is to lament the sea of moe fan servicey crap that spews out ever year, but to be honest the volume of good stuff also seems to be increasing.

I've been playing catch up after a long hiatus, and just this year I've had the pleasure of watching Anohana, Chihayafuru, Usagi Drop, Steins Gate, Princess Jellyfish, Working!!, Angels Beats, Tatami Galaxy, Disappearance of Haruhi, Redline, Summer Wars, and a bunch more, so I can hardly complain.

Though 2012 has been a bit disappointing compared to last year, and the fall season guide doesn't fill me with much hope. Still, anime does seem to have a knack for surprising me so I'll reserve my judgement for now.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Would you step out of your comfort zone?

Well, yes, why not? From time to time it is a good thing to do. It can turn out to be very interesting and have a surprising effect, though not always. There are few series I watched and enjoyed, even though they didn't belong to my sphere of interest. Higurashi is an example. By the time it had begun airing, I was already bored by harems and cute girls to the point that I steered clear of watching any anime of this kind.

Of course sometimes it doesn't work. I watched some episodes of Madoka Magica to find out what the buzz is all about, but I didn't care about the characters, which seemed to me cardboard and as a result dull.

Pandora Hearts and Black Butler are also examples. The first I tried when I was bored by shounens and fortunately it turned out not to be a generic shounen and a quite enjoyable mystery that gives its audience a fair chance to find out what is going on, which I noticed is a rare thing in anime, as it often turns out that a mystery is either easy to figure out or viewers would need to be mind-reading experts to solve it. The second, Black Butler, I tried because it is always compared to Pandora Hearts, though I don't know why. The similarities are very superficial. The setting of both is modelled on Victorian England, but that's all. While the author of Pandora Hearts is skilfully using some literary devices such as an unreliable narrator and as a result is spinning an entertaining story, Black Butler is just trying very hard to convince its audience that Sebastian is the very epitome of greatness.

Actually, stepping out of my comfort zone is not limited to watching anime. Sometimes I do something new simply on a whim or because I think it my help in this or that way. Hoping that it might revive my interest in anime I started to write reviews, which was probably one of my most courageous steps, as it reminds me of my Polish language teacher from primary school and junior high school and she was one of the most, if not the most despicable person I have ever met and I come to loathe everything which was connected with her classes. Unfortunately, this step has not been working so far, well I should have expected it, so at this rate I will have to either think of something else or find a new hobby. Confused

Quote:
The big downside is eventually the person is going to hit a wall after they exausted all the older stuff that interested them and either burn out or adapt. I know I'm not okay with it, so instead I balance my viwing of new stuff with older things and get the best of both worlds.

I was doing the same thing, it doesn't work, at least it didn't work for me.

Quote:
Being a miserable old geezer also my instinct is to lament the sea of moe fan servicey crap that spews out ever year, but to be honest the volume of good stuff also seems to be increasing.

I'm probably the miserable old geezer but it's not like I don't see series that I can like and which have the potential to be good. The problem is that I sincerely don't care any-more.

Last edited by Aylinn on Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
The second, Black Butler, I tried because it is always compared to Pandora Hearts, though I don't know why. The similarities are very superficial. The setting of both is modelled on Victorian England, but that's all. While the author of Pandora Hearts is skilfully using some stylistic devices such as unreliable narration and as a result is spinning an entertaining story, Black Butler is just trying very hard to convince its audience that Sebastian is the very epitome of greatness.

I think the comparisons mainly stem from the fact that the two manga run in the same magazine and are female directed shonen. The similar settings and styles just make it easier to compare them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8