• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anime Studios' Success Calculated Based on 10 Years of Disc Sales

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Progeusz

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:24 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
Sorry if it sounds stupid or ignorant but would it not be a good idea to look at manga or light novel popularity and craft stuff based on that? I mean One-Punch Man was extremely popular but no one bothered to pick it up until Madhouse did, why is that? The script and story are already written, and if they adapt faithfully with good animation it at least won't crash and burn.
I just wanted to say it wasn't Madhouse who picked up One Punch Man. Madhouse WAS picked up by OPM's publishers who wanted to promote the manga so they started looking for studio who would be able to animate it and they chose Madhouse.

_Cyphon_ wrote:
Rederoin wrote:
Online streaming is still very unpopular in Japan when it comes to anime distribution, so its irrelevant.

But a lot of studios are taking it to streaming outside of Japan are they not? I believe this chart is not only limited to sales within Japan, though that is the biggest income.
The amount of money they get from outside of Japan is usually very low in comparison
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Progeusz wrote:
_Cyphon_ wrote:
But a lot of studios are taking it to streaming outside of Japan are they not? I believe this chart is not only limited to sales within Japan, though that is the biggest income.
The amount of money they get from outside of Japan is usually very low in comparison

Any sources for said comparison?
Progeusz

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:03 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Any sources for said comparison?
Damn, I don't have it at hand, I remember reading about it quite some time ago. I'll try to find it but can't promise anything.
What I can say right now is:
Think about it this way - it is streamers who want the rights to anime and have to negotiate with Japanese. Whole initiative comes from outside of Japan and Japanese don't really make things easy. They don't really treat foreign streaming as source of income they can count on so it's bound to be insignificant. If it's there, nice, always something - if not, no big deal.
Other thing. Notice how Westerners have very different tastes from Japanese. Yet, anime popular here which weren't popular in Japan are never successful. There are a lot of fans in the West but they spend very little money.
Next. The biggest streamer is CrunchyRoll and it's subscriptions are extremely cheap compared to price of BDs. Japanese can't get that much money from them if CrunchyRoll itself isn't getting huge amounts.

You can read more about CrunchyRoll here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2b26ou/im_kun_gao_the_cofounder_and_ceo_of_crunchyroll/
Sorry but I despise reddit's layout so I can't be bothered to look for specific parts, but there should be some way to sort posts by author to find what their CEO said. Some other threads/interviews are also googleable.

Edit:
http://seventhstyle.com/2013/09/30/crunchyroll-is-it-worth-subscribing/
This blog usually isn't the one to be trusted because it's by typical Westerner with many of the standard biases and he himself admits the maths is off in some places BUT, what's important, the point he's making there is pretty well explained or at least gives a good idea. And quite a lot of stuff is actually documented giving it credibility.
I only encountered this article now, didn't know about it before and only skimmed through it but it's another thing to keep in mind.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:51 am Reply with quote
Well, there's Space Dandy, which ran to its intended conclusion thanks to the western audiences.
Progeusz

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:41 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Well, there's Space Dandy, which ran to its intended conclusion thanks to the western audiences.
It's the only one and it was focusing on Western audience instead of Japanese in the first place (it aired in US with dub first and in Japan only later). It's completely different situation from that of all other anime, so any conclusions drawn from Dandy can't be applied to other shows.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:47 am Reply with quote
I feel bad for Madhouse. They are a great studio, they deserve better.
Progeusz

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:23 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Look at the huge number of shows they do. If Madhouse wasn't profitable as that article suggests, it would have went bankrupt ages ago. Madhouse is a successful studio. BD sales don't really mean that much for studio's wellbeing, there are countless other factors.
Above all else, studio rarely invest their own money in creating an anime so they don't lose/gain much if it sells badly/well. What's important is how studio are viewed by publishers and sponsors. If studio does good job in their opinion, it will get more work in the future.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:23 am Reply with quote
Say, is The Boondocks counted among Madhouse's series? Then again, I don't think it ever got a Japanese home video release.
yu3lora

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:11 am Reply with quote
Thats K-On! for you.. And I still need to buy their CD's.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 12:46 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

It was always planned as split cours, so no one's really to thank. Tons of bombs of anime still end up getting that second half because it was already in the works and too late to stop, like Chaika.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote

Madhouse does excellent work, but it is almost always a hired gun. Its prospects depend on the overall performance of the works they adapt.

Chihayafuru is especially instructive. The last volume of the manga to be released before the anime sold about 40K copies. The next volume sold nearly 200K. After the anime aired, Chihayafuru moved into the top-twenty by sales for two years' running. The anime itself averaged only 2,100 BDs and a trivial number of DVDs. Was Chihayafuru a "successful" adaptation? Kodansha probably thought so despite the sales of the anime.

By the way, the "Manabi line" is actually closer to 2,000 copies if you use the Oricon data as a reference. It averaged just over 2,300 copies per volume.
Yause

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Progeusz wrote:
Look at the huge number of shows they do. If Madhouse wasn't profitable as that article suggests, it would have went bankrupt ages ago. Madhouse is a successful studio.

They were in serious trouble a few years ago. That's why the Mappa split had to happen with NTV bailing the studio out and reorganizing them under new management. The big movie projects and creative freedom have all but disappeared with NTV (whose business does not depend on anime success on its own but rather how it boosts related segments such as live action film adaptations) now bankrolling them for promotional purposes.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:14 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
By the way, the "Manabi line" is actually closer to 2,000 copies if you use the Oricon data as a reference. It averaged just over 2,300 copies per volume.

To be exact, 3394 for v1 and the average is 2435.
kokodaioh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
I just thought of this, but doesn't the success of anime also depend on which manga (or light novel, game, etc.) the studio decides to adapt? The more popular the original material is, the more popular the anime will be, right?

...unless fillers kill it. In which case, you deserve to be on that list Satelight.

Starting, Hibike! Euphonium wasn't even famous
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7