• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Dub Madoka Magica Into English

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Max465 wrote:
But compared to the other two shows they licensed, Oreimo and Exorcist, Madoka was shit. I think Madoka was shit anyway. I would have bought Oreimo or Blue Exorcist had they been dubbed. Not buying Madoka, and now neither will I buy Exorcist or Oreimo.
Ladies and gentlemen, the cancer killing anime.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Oh hey, a dub! Now that's nice. I'm still waiting for an official announcement of a Blu-ray release and desperately wishing for the staff commentary tracks to be retained, but it's nice to know that Aniplex is putting a lot of faith in Madoka. If Aniplex releases this on Blu-ray without any of the restrictions and screw-ups on current!Bandai's Blu-rays (or releases in general), then I wouldn't even mind buying it in a singles format provided that there's a sturdy artbox. (I don't think that would be a smart move in today's market though...)
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Aniplex of America added that it is in "negotiations" for the new Rurouni Kenshin anime project

HELL YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:05 am Reply with quote
Glad to see The Space Show finally get mentioned again, a dual-language Blu-ray would rock. Really looking forward to finally seeing what the ROD team made for their "new" movie.

Asrialys wrote:
Bridget Hoffman for Mami! Razz

Heh, and here I was goading people on Facebook to wish for a dub on that Make A Wish board at their Otakon booth...

Nice someone brought her up, one of my favorite VAs.

Razzuel wrote:
Key wrote:
Wow, I think that this is a first for Aniplex. But they chose the right title for it, as this one has greater potential than anything else they've released so far to be a big hit.

I disagree with you as well. I think Blue Exorcist also has much more potential to be a big hit here than Madoka Magica. Not only is the manga being published here, but it's an easier sell to people. I am quite happy that Madoka Magica is getting an English dub, but it's kind of a misleading show, it's eccentric, and it's about magical girls; Blue Exorcist is more of a known quantity in terms of story and execution, albeit that isn't a slight against it, since I am loving Blue Exorcist.

Totally agree with all your points! I'm also very glad Madoka Magica's getting a dub and will likely be supporting that since I enjoyed the part of the show I saw. I'm still really bummed at Blue Exorcist still seemingly not getting a dub (or a freaking Blu-ray with it's gorgeous animation).

Razzuel wrote:
Oh, and Aniplex USA needs to get on the Blu-ray bandwagon. It's a disservice to HD shows like Blue Exorcist, Madoka Magica, and Oreimo to be releasing them on DVD still.

So true, unless it's a really niche or old show I'm almost at the point where I'm starting to hesitate now that we're passed the point where these shows are mostly being made with HD and Blu-ray in mind (and whether something will perhaps get a BD later if I wait in some cases and have to buy twice).

ikillchicken wrote:
So they're gonna release Blue Exorcist sub only and then turn around and go all out on a dub for Madoka!? At absolute best, a dub for Madoka has got to be a big gamble. You can talk about what an amazing show it is and how it's so much more than it seems. At face value though, it's still a show about a bunch of little moe looking girls in pink frilly outfits. (Sure guys, it's totally going to air on Adult Swim. Rolling Eyes) This is about as much of a show for otaku as you can get. It may be a popular show among otaku, there's no disputing that, but it seems like a pretty safe bet to me that it would retain that popularity sub only. So how many sales are they actually going to gain by adding a dub? It'll please the relatively small group of people who are both otaku and dub purists but I gotta think that will be about it. And again, it would be one thing to just dub Madoka. I mean, maybe I'm wrong about Madoka, but to dub it while at the same time they don't dub a show like Blue Exorcist which just screams: "I have mainstream/TV appeal!"...I don't know. It just makes me think that Aniplex simply doesn't know what the hell they're doing.

Agreed. I'm glad Madoka's getting dubbed but it's crazy and sad. Honestly it's like *insert your favorite big mainstream action show that broke out as a hit the US since it was given a chance with a dub whether or not it aired on AS or not* not getting the chance to break out. Sad I was really looking forward to re-watching it with a dub on blu-ray after watching the simulcast.

notrogersmith wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
However I still feel it's largely a waste because I think the majority of the people that buy it already saw it, and would prefer the Japanese voices.

I would be one of the ones who'd buy the DVD after having seen the fansub, but having a dub provides an incentive to actually rewatch the show on DVD rather than just leave it on my shelf. Watching it dubbed would be a new experience, while watching the subbed DVD would mostly be a rehash of what I've seen and heard before.

Same here.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:07 am Reply with quote
I have a suspicion about why they chose Madoka over Blue Exorcist, and while I could be very wrong, as I often am, there must be some good reason because a good deal of thought would have gone into such a decision.

There's no doubt that Blue Exorcist has a larger potential market, but that doesn't immediately translate to higher sales, especially when the economy will almost certainly still be in relatively poor shape even by then, and there is competition from better established franchises that appeal to the same demographic.

Madoka, on the other hand, has a decent enough number of dedicated fans who Aniplex must see as guaranteed customers. As has been pointed out, they still would be for a sub-only release, but if there's no reason to worry about breaking even at worst on the dub, then even a tiny increase in sales would be pure profit.

What would have been nice is if both had an English dub, but if enough people don't give into spite by refusing to buy the subbed release, then perhaps there may be one later on. For now I just think it's pretty nice that at least Madoka is getting dubbed. Due to poor hearing I seldom listen to them when watching by myself, but they are great for watching with others and getting more people around me into things. It's also surprised me so far just how many people who I've never had any success with before have loved the show, so it may do better than one would expect if given enough exposure.

I seem to be one of the few people who haven't watched Durarara!! yet, so I'm wondering, was its dub fairly good?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:20 am Reply with quote
I've never heard of this show before, I think it's good that Aniplex is dubbing. I like their English dub for Durarara so far! How many titles have they licensed so far?

If they license the new Kenshin anime, I really hope they reunite the original cast (Richard Cansino, Dorothy Fahn, etc).
Nephuxs

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:44 am Reply with quote
FTW!
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Razzuel wrote:
Oh, and Aniplex USA needs to get on the Blu-ray bandwagon.
They've been on the bandwagon for a while now, with Kara no Kyoukai, Baccano!, R.O.D, etc. They just tend to fall off every now and again.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I seem to be one of the few people who haven't watched Durarara!! yet, so I'm wondering, was its dub fairly good?

I think the dub is great! Kida's voice is especially good! Very Happy That and Erika's and Dotachin's voices!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Razzuel wrote:
They've been on the bandwagon for a while now, with Kara no Kyoukai, Baccano!, R.O.D, etc. They just tend to fall off every now and again.
They'll release older shows on BD for sure. Or they'll release newer shows on BD but with similar to the Japanese prices. At least, that has been the trend I've noticed.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:54 pm Reply with quote
So they dub this and not Blue Exorcist WTF?????

Although I did hear this series is good might as well pick it up sometime. AND DAMN IT ANIPLEX DUB BLUE EXORCIST OR I WILL NEVER FORGIVE!!! Since That series would have done well dubbed in the US.

Quote:

Kazemon15: Blue Exorcist is a shounen title which is prompt to have over 50 episodes? New shounen series haven't been dubbed in a long long time and I doubt Aniplex wants to re-start dubbing them.

Actually its only slated for 25 episodes. The last I heard the manga only had 40 something chapters and I think its a monthly serialization. Then again I could be totally wrong about that, but the anime still is going to be only 25 episodes. Which is why I'm pissed they passed a dub up on this. I won't buy it since I can watch it on crunchyroll with my membership.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Razzuel wrote:
They'll release older shows on BD for sure. Or they'll release newer shows on BD but with similar to the Japanese prices. At least, that has been the trend I've noticed.

Yeah it's so frustrating.

Finny-chan wrote:
So they dub this and not Blue Exorcist WTF?????

Although I did hear this series is good might as well pick it up sometime. AND DAMN IT ANIPLEX DUB BLUE EXORCIST OR I WILL NEVER FORGIVE!!! Since That series would have done well dubbed in the US.

Quote:

Kazemon15: Blue Exorcist is a shounen title which is prompt to have over 50 episodes? New shounen series haven't been dubbed in a long long time and I doubt Aniplex wants to re-start dubbing them.

Actually its only slated for 25 episodes. The last I heard the manga only had 40 something chapters and I think its a monthly serialization. Then again I could be totally wrong about that, but the anime still is going to be only 25 episodes. Which is why I'm pissed they passed a dub up on this. I won't buy it since I can watch it on crunchyroll with my membership.

I feel the same, I so wanted to watch BE dubbed, after seeing the first couple of episodes, it was easily one of my most anticipated shows to see with a dub and I thought it was a pretty safe expectation and that Funi would likely get it. Sad

That's still the case so far, the show is only scheduled for 2 cours at the moment.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Quote:

I think the dub is great! Kida's voice is especially good! Very Happy That and Erika's and Dotachin's voices!

Thank you, that's excellent news.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
FireChick wrote:
Quote:

Thank you, that's excellent news.

Yup, you should check it out.

Not that it was a guarantee of a good dub before it actually came out but they got a top notch cast with many of our best. Smile

Erika and Dotachin are so funny together lol.

Since I never got to hear him in Vampire Knight this is the first major role I think I've heard him in so Kida's voice has been quite the cool surprise, I was wondering how he was going to do it after hearing the character's Japanese voice.

I don't want to start listing off since they got quite the cast but I also think Wahlgren's Celty is great. And it feels like ages since I've heard the always great Crispin Freeman.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:05 am Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
Max465 wrote:
But compared to the other two shows they licensed, Oreimo and Exorcist, Madoka was shit. I think Madoka was shit anyway. I would have bought Oreimo or Blue Exorcist had they been dubbed. Not buying Madoka, and now neither will I buy Exorcist or Oreimo.
Ladies and gentlemen, the cancer killing anime.
Yeah, free trade is a bitch, ainnit?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8