• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Ouran Host Club, Sasami: Magical Girl Club

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:12 am Reply with quote
Coderjoe wrote:
The biggest reasons FoT never got past episode 1 is that the translator and encoder (same guy) got stumped on some of the stuff Washuu was saying, and then got bogged down with real life and, knowing him, probably WoW.

FoT did the first episode? I didn't realize (or if I did, I'd forgotten it). I saw the first episode raw and until my Japanese is much improved (class start in August), there wasn't much point in my trying to watch the rest.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:48 pm Reply with quote
@Nickle4aPickle: I knew Haruhi was girl from the first time she spoke (and I watched the first episode, thanks. Have you heard of different first impressions?). Maybe because I recognized Maaya's voice right away, but I knew Haruhi was a girl. You're right, she has an androgynous voice, but it leant more to the female side (IMO). That's what was kind of funny about the first episode, you know that Haruhi's a girl but the host club doesn't (at least Tamaki, the others caught on).

It's nice to have a connection to a character (I feel similar to Haruhi myself, being not a girly-girl, but not totally a tomboy) but perhaps you should try to not get to connected to let things offend you like that.
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Akari-chan wrote:
Raven Shinobi wrote:
Just like I hoped for. Now if Laura Bailey will be playing Haruhi and the English release will come with those cute chibi figurines that came with the JP version all will be well.

I think that Laura Bailey would be an excellent choice for Haruhi. I really loved her performance as Tohru Honda in Fruits Basket. She was a perfect fit for Furuba's Tohru and I think that she would be a perfect fit for Ouran's Haruhi.

GOOD LORD, ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND!?!?! Shocked Haruhi and Tohru are not alike at all.

and the only reason i new that Haruhi was a girl from the get-go was because i looked up info on it. other than that, sometimes it can get confusing. i can see some otaku getting confused weather to like her or not. Laughing Laughing
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:16 pm Reply with quote
The good thing about voice acting is that you can change your voice to suit different characters. If Laura Bailey gets Haruhi (which might or might not happen), that doesn't mean Haruhi will sound like Tohru. Laura Bailey has good range; Tohru and Sana from Kodocha don't sound anything alike.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:20 pm Reply with quote
On Vic as Tamaki -- I personally would like to hear Vic as him. Partially because I'm a Vic Mignogna fangirl, admittedly, but also because of his performance as Femio in Princess Tutu was one of the most hilarious performances in the entire dub. (And it's a stellar dub, so I'm certainly not putting down anyone else in the dub.) I wouldn't want him to use the same voice he used for Femio if he was cast as Tamaki (it'd be WAY too over-the-top), but to me he's already proven he can do a role similar to Tamaki quite well. Plus, he also strikes me at someone that's good at performing in both over-the-top comedy scenes and quieter, more dramatic scenes (particularly in Full Metal Alchemist), so I really think he'd be a good choice for Tamaki. (Although, as much of a dub fan as I am....I don't know if I can really think of ANYONE as good as the Japanese seiyuu for Tamaki. Even Vic.)

Although, again, I'm a Vic fangirl, so I know I'm biased. I certainly wouldn't throw a fit if someone else was cast, and I can see where Nickle was coming from when she said his voice was too raspy for Tamaki (although I think when he performed as Ed he purposefully made his voice raspier than it normally is).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:28 am Reply with quote
Finally! I could start collecting. Ouran is great and I loved pretty sammy since 2000 and now i get to see her new series! yay!
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:30 pm Reply with quote
something occured to me. what if they aim for the masculine-yet-slightly-feminine voice, they run out of options, and........Haruhi ends up sounding somewhat like a gay guy? Shocked

remember, in the first episode the host club DID think Haruhi might be a gay guy. might it have been because of her voice? now im nervous.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
Finally! I could start collecting. Ouran is great and I loved pretty sammy since 2000 and now i get to see her new series! yay!

The new series isn't a Pretty Sammy series. Sasami becomes a magical girl, but I don't think she becomes Pretty Sammy. From the little bit I saw, it seemed like a much more typical (and girlier) magical girl series. Admittedly, I only saw one episode and I don't remember if I even saw all of it.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:44 am Reply with quote
From what I've been hearing, Vic Mignogna apparently wants to do Tamaki. I heard people say that he's been cosplaying as him while holding a Tamaki plushie. He should be happy now since FUNimation got their hands on Ouran.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:51 am Reply with quote
Oh yeah! Another thing. Even though I haven't heard this person's voice yet, I think Carrie Savage should do Hunny.

Edit: Yay! I just posted the 100th post to this topic! Woo!
Nickle4aPickle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:12 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
From what I've been hearing, Vic Mignogna apparently wants to do Tamaki. I heard people say that he's been cosplaying as him while holding a Tamaki plushie. He should be happy now since FUNimation got their hands on Ouran.

Yes, he does - I met him Tekkoshocon back in April, & he said he's planning on trying out for Tamaki-senpai.

I don't know about him cosplaying with his own Ouran jacket for anything, but he did try on my boyfriend's Ouran jacket (he & I were cosplaying Haruhi & Tamaki at the con). Anime hyper See here! And Here! (That's me with him. Very Happy)

FireChick wrote:
Oh yeah! Another thing. Even though I haven't heard this person's voice yet, I think Carrie Savage should do Hunny.

OMG, yes. She'd be PERFECT!!! X3
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:26 am Reply with quote
Vic wont get it. this license is a major deal, and because of that Funimation is going to want to make it as good as possible.

i heard something about 4kids looking at it a little before Funi got it. wow, that would have been a nightmare amoung nightmares. Shocked i think a couple fans would have put a contract out on Al Kahn.....naw, that would be if 4kids got their hands on something to the caliber of Akira. im not an Akira fanboy, but you cant deny its popularity.
the_silent_child

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:38 pm Reply with quote
OH YEAH!!!! OURAN!!!! YEAH!!!! OOH YEAH!!! i am excited...
Mistress9
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I now offically love Funimation, first they give me Tsubasa and now my favorite anime of all time Ouran... OMG I get to actually watch the brothlery love in english....And yeah I am a Yaoi fangirl but do you know what part of the reason I love Ouran so much is because they make fun of us fangirls. Hello Renge.

As for Vic I am also sorta not sure I want to see him doing Tono's voice either because I just don't know if he could pull Tamaki off. However the minute I heard he was wanting to try out for Ouran I pictured Nekowazawa in my mind.

Laura Bailey as Haruhi, for the love of Ouran No!!! It's not that I have anything persay against miss Bailey its just I have nightmares of Haruhi speaking and well I hear Tohru. I know voice actors can change their voices and such for different characters but I just don't like the association that many seem have between Tohru and Haruhi.

Now my main concern is that they mess up the twins. Please do not mess with anything to do with those loveable devils.

And I agree with the others I am very happy that Ouran is liscenced but where is Monster.
LittleHobbit13

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:45 am Reply with quote
I skimmed through most of the posts in this thread. I think I'm the only person here who really didn't want FUNi to get this particular license. It's not that I hate FUNi; quite the opposite really. They do good work. (I can't get enough of the Yu Yu Hakusho dub.) But I really wanted ADV to get this one. FUNi just normally does loud, actiony, comedic types of series. I'm just not sure how well they'll be able to pull off the softer, charismatic, graceful voices that are necessary for Ouran. I watch series like Chevalier and GetBackers, and I can hear that ADV is definitely able to do it. I just don't want to see my favorite series butchered up just for profits. (It's already happened to Saiunkoku and Shounen Onmyouji. I couldn't take it if it happened to Ouran, too!)

Mistress9 wrote:
As for Vic I am also sorta not sure I want to see him doing Tono's voice either because I just don't know if he could pull Tamaki off. However the minute I heard he was wanting to try out for Ouran I pictured Nekowazawa in my mind.
I agree. I don't think he would fit as Tamaki, but he would be a GREAT Nekozawa!

Quote:
Laura Bailey as Haruhi, for the love of Ouran No!!! It's not that I have anything persay against miss Bailey its just I have nightmares of Haruhi speaking and well I hear Tohru. I know voice actors can change their voices and such for different characters but I just don't like the association that many seem have between Tohru and Haruhi.
I like Laura Bailey. I like her as Tohru. I like her as Sana (she did such a great job with all that fast-talk rapping! Razz) I wouldn't like her as Haruhi. Her voice is just too high for Haruhi. Whoever plays Haruhi is going to have to sound as andryogenous as possible, while still leaning slightly towards a feminine voice. I think the trick will be to find someone not only with an andryogenous voice, but who can play it lightly without that meaning being soft. Haruhi has a light voice, but she's not soft; she speaks very clearly.

Quote:
Now my main concern is that they mess up the twins. Please do not mess with anything to do with those loveable devils.
If they mess up my twins, heads will roll. Even if it's just them doing that cheap-o deal where the same person plays both roles. Grrr.

Who I'd love to see playing roles:
Renge - Amber Cotton (Koto - Yu Yu Hakusho)
Kyouya - Eric Vale

Who I think could be okay for roles:
Tamaki - John Burgmeier
Honey - Kimberly Grant
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8