• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Accel World (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote

Accel World (TV)

Genres: action, comedy, drama, psychological, romance, science fiction
Themes: augmented reality, cyberpunk, fighting, growing up, online computer gaming, school life, technology, virtual reality

Plot Summary: In 2046, people can access a virtual network known as the Neurolinker via their cellphone terminals. A perpetual victim of bullying, middle school student Haruyuki spends his time absorbed in games in a corner of his local network. One day he is approached by the most famous girl in his school, Kuroyukihime (Black Snow Princess). She gives him a strange program called Brain Burst that has the power to "accelerate the world."
----------------------------------

Episodes: ANN has 12 episodes listed, but Animelist has 24 episodes listed.

The first episode was a dual episode. I think more longer animes should use this method. It is much better to have an extended first episode instead of cramming it in 20 minutes. Anyway I really enjoyed the first episode. Sure the main protagonist, Haruyuki Arita, is one of those typical weak male leads, but at least they used humor. I laughed at when he went to the virtual world and his avatar was a pig. He reminds me of weak version of Cartman from South Park. Anyway the concept of the Burst Linker was cool, a virtual MMORPG game. And of course our weak friend has a badass avatar. I look forward to watching this series.

Last edited by WhiteHairGirls on Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rhyono

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
We only put the episode dates up from a confirmed source. I could easily speculate the dates for the rest of the series, but it wouldn't be good to pass it off as fact.

Also, sometimes the currently reported dates get changed due to various reasons and we have to just correct them all anyway.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Do want. I'm very curious on how this series will progress but the first pre-aired episodes were epic Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Volibear

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
even more awesome than i'd hoped for, hopefully it's a good omen for the rest of the season's series
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Be sure to turn the volume all the way up when watching this. Makes it even more epic tbh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quote
This feels like a mix of Denou Coil, .Hack// and C, I think that is why I am currently sceptable about whether I will end up finishing it despite how much I enjoyed the first episodes. They went to great lengths to make the main character feel "pathetic", with an entirely different type of character design it comes off somewhat, hard to watch. There is something strange that lots of things in the show are delights for the eye, but others involving the MC are less pleasing.

I could not understand at first why he would have a pig as an avatar when everyone could have really cool stuff, but then it hit me, perhaps he made himself look like an NPC so people would leave him alone. I do enjoy a lot of the background staff, the idea of having those computer things seems like a very plausable idea for a futurem similar to Dennou Coil's.
Otishio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad there was 2 episodes. If there had only been that first episode I would have been really iffy on the show but that second episode was pretty good. Enjoying it so far and I don't know about any one but I'm getting quite a few High School DxD vibes from it - Pawn, odd main character, wants to pay the female lead back...Just really feels like it. But yeah pretty good and looking forward to next ep.
Skullface

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:58 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I could not understand at first why he would have a pig as an avatar when everyone could have really cool stuff, but then it hit me, perhaps he made himself look like an NPC so people would leave him alone.

The actual reason is that he made a black knight avatar that looked really cool but "Within the time of an eye blink, Araya got involved with the black knight avatar, so Haruyuki was forced to use this default pig." (from the novel)
Rhyono

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Skullface wrote:
Araya got involved with the black knight avatar

Could you elaborate on what you mean by that?
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:
Skullface wrote:
Araya got involved with the black knight avatar

Could you elaborate on what you mean by that?

Haru made a black knight avatar for himself. However, Araya saw it and like it and force Haru to give it to him made and him use a pig avatar.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:09 pm Reply with quote
This announcement says Accel World is a two cour show, so it's definitely 24 episodes at least.

Other than that, not much of the story is truly revealed besides the fact that MC wants to help Miss Sexy Butterfly Lotus chick - she's hot, ya know. The slow pacing didn't really grab my attention but the start of episode two definitely did. When I first watched the trailer months ago, I was repulsed by the MC's character design but it's growing on me. I actually like it more now because I got to understand his character more. He's beta but a cool beta character at that. Maybe he just represents me a little or a lot, I'm not sure.

I'm digging the premise of the show though; it has an interesting concept and I'm liking how it's being built. This better get licensed cause I don't want to really bother with illegal means to watch it every week. Since the first two episodes were pre-airs, I'm going to rewatch them when they're being broadcast in higher quality and when another group subs it or its licensed.
Volibear

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:56 am Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
I'm digging the premise of the show though; it has an interesting concept and I'm liking how it's being built. This better get licensed cause I don't want to really bother with illegal means to watch it every week. Since the first two episodes were pre-airs, I'm going to rewatch them when they're being broadcast in higher quality and when another group subs it or its licensed.

i'm sure someones working out a license as we speak, and i'm expecting Funi to get it as well, it just kinda feels like a show Funi would get since they have a tendency to first go for any big action type series (think Guilty Crown and Mirai Nikki from 2 seasons ago) and acquire them, then allow others to pick up everything else, usually all the slice of life/romance comedy/high school ecchi shows, and recently Sentai has been picking up almost all of those
Makasu_des

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:58 am Reply with quote
Surprisingly fun, this and zetman are the first animes i've added to my watch list in sooo many seasons.
Maybe its the tubby main char, his voice isn't too pathetic or anything and the girls meddling is nice.
I think the lack of T&A has something to do with it as well, i can't stand anime without some kind of story and pantsu in your face constantly...

I'm a dude but srsly enough is enough.

here's to a successful season!
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:41 am Reply with quote
I feel like I missed something... running out of points means being unable to do the burst thingie... and if he doesn't want to risk it, he needs to go back to being a normal kid... which doesn't seem that different from running out of points anyway... ?
Volibear

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:20 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I feel like I missed something... running out of points means being unable to do the burst thingie... and if he doesn't want to risk it, he needs to go back to being a normal kid... which doesn't seem that different from running out of points anyway... ?

i think the idea is that he was asked if he wanted to stop before he started, since it was something like a drug, once your start you crave it more and more, so just stopping immediately and forgetting about it would be better than playing it and then eventually losing it all and never being able to forget what you'd experienced

guess i'll watch again when a better quality vid is avaliable since i tend to sometimes zone-out on poor quality vids but i understood it to be something like that
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 21