• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Gift of the Puella Magi

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:30 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:

I think in order to like FLCL, you either need to LIKE Haruko or empathize with Naota, preferrably both (especially since Naota likes Haruko).

This is definitely part of what kills FLCL for me. First of all, I don't like Haruko. She's not a real character with depth and development, she is merely an extreme portrayal of femininity unleashed. This portrayal is not necessarily offensive to me, but it is kind of just... annoying. As some kind of representation of the modern "cool" female influence, Haruko is just so jarring and it makes women look very one dimensional. All she does is lust, be lusted after, and smash things and shout in a very very very very loud voice all the time while popping in and out of frames randomly to say things that makes no sense. She doesn't seem to have much purpose to her other than being a jack in the box, causing Naota to scream in shock or terror every five minutes.

Since Evangelion was mentioned, IF Haruko were more like a Rei type character, I think that would make a world of difference for me with the show. It wouldn't seem just like a caricature of femininity that's loud and bouncing off the walls. That's not to say I think Rei from Eva is the greatest character, I think she's probably a little too brooding and icy but at least you can feel something for her and she doesn't distract from the development of the protagonist.

Naota, I would like him if he were less whiny. Ok, he is a lot like Shinji from Eva in that way, but maybe it's less tolerable with Naota because he doesn't actually do anything for the majority of the show. He's a medium through which things happen, whereas Shinji actually suits up and fights once he stops being a crybaby. I actually think the whole thing with the stuff coming out of Naota's head was really cool and intriguing. The whole episode with the cat ears also was cute and kind of funny. However, even with the great plot devices, that stuff can't shine through if I just can't seem to like the main characters. Also, Naota's dad is a HUGE creep and every time I saw him on the screen I threw up a little in my mouth.

I will admit, I do like the robot Canti. The battle sequences where he swallows Naota and blows stuff up is fun, and very stylistic. Those scenes do affect me on an artistic level, and that, along with the weird stuff that happens to Naota throughout, is where the series shines. However, the fact that Naota and Haruko (and Naota's dad! EWW) are often annoying or disturbing in some way just kills it. I admit, in the context of the whole adolescence thing, the show had potential. However, the stupid stuff that distracts along the way and the lack of a coherent story throughout made it fall flat on its face.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2