• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kicked offline by server

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:42 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
I had to re-register last night just to get back onto the forum. Is there any way to get the data back?

In a word: unlikely. The user database would have to be restored to a prior state before your record was corrupted, which would erase everything done from that point to now. Sad
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:12 pm Reply with quote
tiredgamer wrote:
In a word: unlikely. The user database would have to be restored to a prior state before your record was corrupted, which would erase everything done from that point to now. Sad

That's not true.

We could restore a specific set of records and not the entire database.

-t
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sorry, it seems the server is a little overloaded at the moment...

No...please...not again. Looks like the nightmare has returned. Evil or Very Mad

Thought this should no longer be the problem after the 3-day update.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:23 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Thought this should no longer be the problem after the 3-day update.

From what I remember Tempest saying, the last update was an attempt at a fix, but not a guaranteed fix, and if it kept up they'd have to resort to a hardware update.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I didn't want to make this up again, but...

The "Sorry, it seems te server is a bit overloaded at the moment..." message has appeared again. Oh, no, not just once. It has been for the last days, and today just kept going. Also, today, from...er...late morning (11:00 am) to just an hour ago (10:00 pm), all GMT-1, the site seems that has been down. Yeah, I mean, whenever I tried to link, nothing appeared. Like it didn't exist. Anyone has some clue about it? Confused
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Sarki-Kun wrote:
Also, today, from...er...late morning (11:00 am) to just an hour ago (10:00 pm), all GMT-1, the site seems that has been down. Yeah, I mean, whenever I tried to link, nothing appeared. Like it didn't exist. Anyone has some clue about it? Confused

That happened to me too. All morning until about 2 pm (US Central time) whenever I typed the URL, a mesage popped up on my browser saying "server not found."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
biliano

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Same here. It started around 6:30 AM EST at my home, and I wasn't able to get back on until around 4 PM EST. I got so worried that I actually sent an e-mail to find out what was going on. After the major crash that ANN had last July, I do tend to worry should another server crash happen; that's how much passion I have about this site. Looks like everything's back to normal. Smile
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:41 pm Reply with quote
A number of anime related sites have been attacked and kicked offline by DDoS (distributed denial of service attacks) of late. Without hearing any news, that's what I think may have happened here. I do know that, although the website was not accessible, the physical server was still online, as I could ping it all morning.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:41 pm Reply with quote
See, that's what you have to keep in mind... the reason it was down so long was because it was their "ultimate" April Fools Joke - the demise of ANN. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
See, that's what you have to keep in mind... the reason it was down so long was because it was their "ultimate" April Fools Joke - the demise of ANN. ;)

Actually, I think it was a power outage that hosed the server on 4/1. Everything looked like it crashed and died around 6:30am, and only half of the services came back up. I just kinda forgot the admin passwords, so I couldn't bring it back up until the afternoon. ^^;

I'm inclined to think it was a Cologuys issue (our host) because it looked like Megatokyo was having problems at around the same time we were.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 9:59 am Reply with quote
In addition to the old "Sorry, it seems the server is a little overloaded at the moment..." messege, I encounter several 404 several times, all after 1850 TST (0650 EDT). I was forced to use skuld. However, this seems only affects MSIE, while Firefox was not affected. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kalium

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 3:40 pm Reply with quote
"Sorry, it seems the server is a little overloaded at the moment..." seems to be popping up intermittantly still. I get it on a seemingly random basis.
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I know this thread is old but I am geting a "the connection was refused when attemting to contact animenewsnetwork.com". This is the second time this has happened. The first time I was denied access for 12-15 hr's the second time it lasted for 36 hr's. Is this a problem on my end?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:41 am Reply with quote
mugen1style wrote:
I know this thread is old but I am geting a "the connection was refused when attemting to contact animenewsnetwork.com". This is the second time this has happened. The first time I was denied access for 12-15 hr's the second time it lasted for 36 hr's. Is this a problem on my end?

Well, the server definitely wasn't down, but that doesn't mean the problem waws on your end.

Next time it happens (if it happens again), could you run a tracert to www.animenewsnetwork.com and e-mail it to us at [out of date email address]?

Also, if you're browsing to animenewsnetwork.com, try the proper full hostname, www.animenewsnetwork.com and the alt host name skuld.animenewsnetwork.com

-t

Last edited by Tempest on Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I'd been having the same trouble, and was rather boggled to see that a tracert showed the connection breaking down as it attempted to pass a presumably reliable Deutsche Telekom server. Then a light dawned, and I surmised that what I was seeing was probably the result of the current tiff between L3 and Cogent (see this article for more info).

I've since been working around this by using a proxy server that accesses a different grid. This is a temporary measure, until the dispute resolves itself. The future may hold more such events, however.

(EDIT: The problem persists in occurring... even when I can get a viable tracert past an L3-Cogent gateway point, it sometimes breaks down further along. I'll look into it some more.)

- abunai
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4