• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Getting It Wrong

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Shoot, there's probably a million DVD nitpicks and errors I can think of on the stuff I own alone. @~@ It is a fun topic! Anime hyper Off the top of my head...hm. I know I have the original run of those FMP and Fumoffu DVDs, because I ripped the video from the discs to use for a series review and it...looked awful. ^^; Used it anyway! That video review's footage is from the cruddy release.

Surprised no one's mentioned the windowboxed, jittery, and in some spots interlacing between chapters or scenes Manga release of End of Evangelion. I mean on the plus side, it has this very fitting menu, but apart from that it's a horrible disc and STILL goes for a lot of money because it's just the only R1 release we have of the film.

Probably the most abhorrent video quality on discs I owned was either on Fruits Basket or Utena. In the case of Utena, I'm not sure if most of CPM's output looked like that and it wasn't a special case. (Er, "Software Sculptors" may have been the authoring party...? Don't know, they were out of the picture before I started collecting, so I'm not as familiar with their output...) But it was interlaced terribly, dot crawl EVERYWHERE, I mean black borders on the sides of each image RIPPLED, that's how bad the transfer was... @.@ And yup! Hardsubbed Greek choruses during the battles. Glad we got that remastered release! (If only it had gotten a shiny new dub too. Utena's old dub is a tragedy. X_X;)

Fruits Basket it was much easier to tell what the problem was. Funimation was still doing that weird double-angle on every disc thing...which affects my FMA DVDs too, but I think the authoring in Fruits Basket was worse because ... I dunno, it looked pretty crummy. Pause it and everything vibrated. Play it and everything vibrated more. Guh. (Still, I guess I should replace the FMA DVDs too. Should, that is.) When the special edition came out, I ripped and screencapped both for comparison, and even in an anime with a budget as low as Furuba's, the difference was obvious.

Then there's Viz's lackluster release for Monster, music replacements aside, it just wasn't a good box, and it turned out to be the only one for the show, making it a fairly uncommon case of a non-childrens' anime getting a full dub, on TV, but no concrete release! ...Then there's the *ghastly* transfer on their Vampire Knight discs. The image is slightly stretched, the colors blurred and smudgy, it's not VCR quality, but it's REALLY CLOSE. And the discs were of all things *double-sided.* Who does THAT anymore?! @___@ ! Are the rest of Viz's non-shonen releases that bad? I'm interested in picking up Honey and Clover as well as Nana but NOT if they look like that.

I don't know that sub-par dubbing should be considered an error in the DVD or not...I think that's sort of its own beast, even the aforementioned HORRIBLE Guin Saga treatment. We may not like it, but like audio replacement, it's...not strictly an error. But in the case of the missing voice in Golgo 13, etc., yeah, then it could be called a real error, I guess. My favorite in that vein is a bizarre left-in outtake in the dub for episode 20 of Princess Tutu. A line near the end of that episode has Fakir mysteriously whispering "I'm gonna write a letter to the president." Which, in the context of the show, makes zero sense. In the Japanese version, he's not saying anything, in fact. So, Chris Patton was just screwing around, as many ADV outtakes suggest he likes to, and it was accidentally left right in the very serious episode. WHOOPS.

Wait, the whole show is on animenetwork's youtube channel, let me see if they still left in that...YUP! THEY SURE DID! Fakir's gonna write a letter to the president. =_=;
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Off the top of my head, I can think of a couple screw-ups.

FUNimation didn't include Bamboo Blade's alternate ending sequence for episode 15. Like Mike mentions in his article, perhaps FUNimation didn't even know it existed, or Japan just decided not to give it to them. I don't think this was ever fixed.

There is a minor error on the back cover of NISA's Toradora Volume 1 Disc 2. On the back, they include a single screenshot from each episode. For Volume 1 Disc 2 of their LE release, NISA used images for episodes 5-7 for episodes 8-10. At least it was correct in the book that came with the release.

EDIT: Ah! Just remembered one from Princess Tutu. A potential outtake made it into the official dub in one episode where Fakir says, "I'll write a letter to the President." Or something like that. There was no spoken dialogue during that part in the original Japanese.

Ah, just noticed that JesuOtaku mentioned that at the end of their post.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:04 pm Reply with quote
There was Funimation's release of volume 1 of Birdy the Mighty: Decode. Disc 1 and 2 both were labelled as Birdy, but disc 2 actually had the contents for disc 2 of Dragon Ball Z season 4. Recall issued shortly thereafter.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I wish that RightStuf had gotten the DVD masters of Kare Kano instead of the TV broadcast masters.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:13 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
Does anyone remember ADV's release of the first two Sailor Moon Seasons, Uncut? The DVD's while simply short of amazing of course, were in terrible mono sound...some episodes were fine, like the episode where 'Ai No Senshi' plays, but everything else?....blah.

Yup. Absolutely horrid
ElectricDork

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:14 am Reply with quote
Just Passing Through wrote:
Beez, when they were in business were almost as bad as Manga for QA, although I have fewer experiences with their titles. But their Fantastic Children is godawful...

The very last couple of lines in their release of Gunbuster 2 (which just so happens to be the scene that links the show to the original) are not subtitled in English. And with there being no dub, I still don't know what was said. I seem to recall there being some on-screen text that wasn't subtitled either.

JesuOtaku wrote:
Are the rest of Viz's non-shonen releases that bad? I'm interested in picking up Honey and Clover as well as Nana but NOT if they look like that.

Both are fine in terms of video quality, I think, but Nana has another issue. Viz, in their infinite wisdom, decided that a signs subtitle track wasn't necessary despite the large amount of on-screen text in the series, which presents obvious problems for anyone who wants to watch it dubbed.

Honey & Clover's on-screen text is hardsubbed. Personally I was okay with it but I know that to some fans hardsubs on DVD are simply unacceptable. Yay Viz.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:20 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
...Then there's the *ghastly* transfer on their Vampire Knight discs. The image is slightly stretched, the colors blurred and smudgy, it's not VCR quality, but it's REALLY CLOSE. And the discs were of all things *double-sided.* Who does THAT anymore?! @___@ ! Are the rest of Viz's non-shonen releases that bad? I'm interested in picking up Honey and Clover as well as Nana but NOT if they look like that.

About the double-sided discs, there was also the Vampire Knight singles that could've been bought as an alternative but yeah, i was upset at what Viz did for both sets myself because i've had my own share of issues with those discs in the past (thanks for nothing Universal for 2 years of Law & Order season sets with those awful things Evil or Very Mad) and i thought that practice was dead myself but apparently not with Viz and they seem to want to continue because the cover art for the first InuYasha: The Final Act set is out and it's also listing 2 discs for the DVD version so unless they have finally learned how to cram 6-7 episodes on each disc like everyone else has (very doubtful seeing as how their newest Naruto Shippuden & Bleach sets continue to use 3 discs), i expect to see more of these damn double-sided discs from Viz in the future.

ElectricDork wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:
Are the rest of Viz's non-shonen releases that bad? I'm interested in picking up Honey and Clover as well as Nana but NOT if they look like that.

Both are fine in terms of video quality, I think, but Nana has another issue. Viz, in their infinite wisdom, decided that a signs subtitle track wasn't necessary despite the large amount of on-screen text in the series, which presents obvious problems for anyone who wants to watch it dubbed.

This is nothing new at all since they also did this with most of the Death Note singles and they never even fixed this for both box sets.
noigeL

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:45 am Reply with quote
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, and not to be That Guy, but a couple things:

-The commentary track for Wings of Honneamise features Hiroyuki Yamaga and Takami Akai as opposed to Carl Horn. Was Horn involved in that commentary in a behind-the-scenes capacity?

-The audio on the first Slayers set from CPM actually affects the Japanese audio; the English audio sounds totally fine.

Enjoyed the article!
blacotaku1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I know that we're all fans and are absolutely meticulous about the cartoons we watch, but nobody told Geneon that Enoki had gone and assumed that Maō Dante would be shown on American TV and helpfully tweezered out the most violent and naughty parts.

maaaaaann! this can't be true. Its just my luck that I just purchesed this series. How much was edited?
Key

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
N.R. wrote:
I also don't remember Scrapped Princess looking bad.
It maybe wasn't super-awful or terribad, but it had very noticeable dot crawl that wasn't in the R2J DVDs. Some other shows from that era affected by the same issue include Girls Bravo and Maburaho.

Curiously, I just rewatched a few episodes of Scrapped Princess the other day for the first time in probably a year and a half - and thus the first time on my current Blu-Ray player. I do recall noticing that the visual quality seemed off compared to what I remembered.

One of the most egregious anime DVD/Blu-Ray flubs that I've noticed that hasn't already been mentioned was on the Canaan Blu-Ray, where the subtitle timing was off by as much as 15 seconds in a substantial chunk of episode 8 and by a lesser amount in a few other places.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Turkishproverb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:47 am Reply with quote
Now I'm remembering Skull Man having a replacement opening in the states. Mind you, I thought it more appropriate than the japanese one, TOKIO's theme not really being in tone with the show reguardless of quality, but I missed the visuals. Still, with TOKIO involved, it was understandable. The missing episode was less excusable, however, simply for the fact they didn't bother to get it or include it.

penguintruth wrote:
BoscoTheMan82 wrote:
On the Big O theme problem, both Big O I and II have had there themes replaced. On the Anime Legends sets of both the original themes have been replaced with the new 2007 theme, The Show Must Go On.

Really? Aw, I'm jealous of the people who have those sets. I love that new theme. I have the old set for the first season and the singles for the second.

But wait, doesn't it bite "You Really Got Me" by The Kinks?

I'm in the opposite position. I have the re-pressing of season 1 and I don't like the new theme. I'd greatly prefer the original release.

I thought the Homage to queen was wonderful, and the season 1 opening watches wrong with the new music.
N.R.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:47 am Reply with quote
Sakura Shinguji wrote:
N.R. wrote:
Sakura Shinguji wrote:
Kadokawa; for several years, the masters they were sending to U.S. companies were all questionable composite masters, in another attempt to prevent reverse importation by ensuring that U.S. versions were inadequate in the video quality department. Examples include Fumoffu, Scrapped Princess, The Melody of Oblivion, and others from around that 2004-2006 time period.

I've watched my copy of The Melody of Oblivion about two months ago on a new HDTV and it looks great. I also don't remember Scrapped Princess looking bad. Frankly I thing you're being just a little bit paranoid with all this "Kadokawa screwed us over" stuff.

I'm not asking you to take my word for it, but I'm surprised you didn't notice. Take a look at any scene that has a lot of deep reds onscreen (which should not be hard to find for The Melody of Oblivion, given how much the set designer for the show loves his red shadows), since red tends to show off dot crawl the best.

The opening sequence in The Melody of Oblivion is a very good place to look, particularly cuts like the long shot of Bocca walking vertically downwards between the rows of students. If you want a really clear example in Scrapped Princess, take a look at the series logo as it comes up in the opening sequence; it practically sparkles with dot crawl. Anime smile;;

I can always provide screencaps, if it would help.

I'm willing to take your word on Scrapped Princess because I haven't watched it in years. But like I said I didn't see any dot crawl in The Melody of Oblivion. It's just a series that aged really well (I have the original singles, not the DVD box). BTW the deep red shadows in the Melody of Oblivion are an homage to Serial Experiments Lain.
noigeL

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
One of the most egregious anime DVD/Blu-Ray flubs that I've noticed that hasn't already been mentioned was on the Canaan Blu-Ray, where the subtitle timing was off by as much as 15 seconds in a substantial chunk of episode 8 and by a lesser amount in a few other places.

Hmmm, I watched that series on BD when it was released and I don't remember any subtitle timing issues. I do recall people complaining about the subtitle timing on the DVD version, however. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5